Prime Minister and Railway Minister flagged off passenger train services to Mizoram and Manipur on the newly-laid broad gauge line and Kamakhya -Vaishno Devi Katra weekly train which was announced during Railway Budget 2014-15.
Delegates: The Prime Minister and Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu
Inauguration: Flagged off using remote control from Shillong
- Attended the 65th Plenary session of the North Eastern Council (NEC)
- Flagged off the train services
Improvements in Railroads:
The metre gauge to broad gauge conversion projects and following upgradation were part of the Lumding-Silchar and Badarpur-Agartala gauge conversion projects
- Silchar-Jiribam – 52 km rail tracks in Manipur
- Silchar-Bhairabi – 120 km rail tracks in Mizoram
The 437-km Lumding-Silchar and Badarpur-Agartala gauge conversion works were sanctioned in 1996 and completed in 2016.
Held during June in Agartala
- To lay the groundwork stone of the Agartala-Akhaura (Bangladesh) railway project
- To flag off regular passenger train service from Agartala to Sealdah & Agartala to Silchar on the newly-laid broad gauge line
Sanctioned in January 2010
Amount allocated: Rs. 968 Crore
Railway project was finalised when Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina seen the then prime minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi discussed the railway project with Sheikh Hasina during his visit to Dhaka in June 2015