On January 17, 2021, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi virtually flagged off 8 trains from various parts of India to the Statue of Unity in Kevadiya, Gujarat to boost connectivity and Tourism. The trains will connect Kevadiya to Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh), Dadar (Maharashtra), Ahmedabad (Gujarat), Hazrat Nizamuddin (New Delhi), Rewa (Madhya Pradesh), Chennai (Tamil Nadu) & Pratapnagar (Gujarat).
PM Modi stated that this is the 1st in the history of Railways that trains have been flagged off for the same destinations from different parts of the country.
i.He also Inaugurated the
- Dabhoi-Chandod Gauge converted Broad Gauge railway line
- Chandod-Kevadiya new Broad Gauge railway line
- Newly electrified Pratapnagar-Kevadiya section(80 RKM) , electrified as per Ministry of Railways Mission of 100% Railway Electrification policy
- New Station buildings of Dabhoi, Chandod & Kevadiya.
ii.Vijay Rupani, Chief Minister of Gujarat; Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways were present during the event.
i.The connectivity Project was sanctioned at a cost of INR 811 Crores.
- It will provide seamless rail connectivity to the World’s tallest ‘Statue of Unity’ and will boost Domestic & International tourism.
- The railway lines pass through the tribal belt of Vadaj-Chandod-Moriya-Tilakwada-Garudeshwar, it is expected to bring socio-economic development to the region.
- It will also generate new employment & business opportunities.
- It has total of 7 stations with 3 major (crossing) stations & 4 minor (halt) stations.
- Out of these 4 are new stations – Moriya, Tilakwada, Garudeshwar&Kevadiya, and 3 are existing stations, namely Dabhoi Jn., Vadaj&Chandod.
ii.Kevadiya Railway Station is India’s First Railway Station to be certified as a Green Building.
iii.The Statue of Unity was inaugurated in October, 2018 by PM Modi on the occasion of Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s 143rd Birth Anniversary.
About 8 Trains:
- Kevadiya Varanasi Mahamana Express (Weekly), Dadar Kevadiya Dadar-Kevadiya Express (Daily), Ahmedabad Kevadiya Janshatabdi Express (Daily) , Kevadiya H. Nizamuddin Nizamuddin – KevadiyaSamparkKranti Express (Bi-Weekly), Kevadiya Rewa Kevadiya – Rewa Express (Weekly) ,Chennai Kevadiya Chennai – Kevadiya Express (Weekly) , Pratapnagar Kevadiya MEMU train (Daily) ,Kevadiya Pratapnagar MEMU train (Daily)
- Janshatabdi Express has been provided with latest “Vistadome tourist coach”, which is first time on Indian Railways. This coach will provide a panoramic view of the skyline.
Points to be Noted – Foundation stone for the construction of Statue of Unity was laid by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 31st October, 2013, as the then Chief Minister of Gujarat, on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel. The gigantic Statue of Unity standing tall at a towering height of 182 meters warmly opened its doors to the public on 31st October, 2018 on the occasion of the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Patel.
Recent Related News:
i.November 6, 2020 Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid a two-day visit to Gujarat from October 30-31, 2020. He inaugurated 17 projects around the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat and laid the foundation stone for 4 new projects.
About Ministry of Railways:
Union Minister – Piyush Goyal
Headquarters – New Delhi