Indian Railways’ Railway Protection Force (RPF) launched a drive named ‘Operation Number Plate’ under the direction of the Director General of RPF Shri Arun Kumar, to check and verify unauthorised parking in the railway premises.
The drive was conducted from August 9-11, at 466 Railway stations of India in view of the forthcoming Independence Day celebration on August 15, 2019.
i. Unauthorized parking of unidentified vehicles are considered as a threat to the safety and security of passengers. Hence the Principal Chief Security Commissioners of RPF and all zonal Railways have been instructed to look into the threats related to security of Railways.
ii. Owners of the vehicles should have to contact helpline number 182 if their vehicles have been seized by the RPF from railway station premises
Reports during the drive:
- 4 vehicles that were previously reported to be stolen were recovered. Cases were previously registered by the police after the theft.
- For more than 5 days, a total of 3943 vehicles were found parked unattended/ unclaimed in the authorised parking lots of the Railway stations.
- Suspected 894 of unattended vehicles are being verified.
- For more than one day a total of 2034 vehicles were found parked in ‘No Parking’ zones. Verification of 28 such suspected vehicles are being inquired.
- A fine of Rs.59000 have been recovered as charges of unauthorised parking.
- 549 vehicles were towed away and are deposited with police for investigations.
About Indian Railways
♦ It manages the fourth largest railway network in the world by size and also the world’s 8th largest employer by no. of employees.
♦ Headquarters- New Delhi.
♦ Union minister for railways- Piyush Goyal (constituency- Maharashtra).
♦ Minister of State for railways- Angadi Suresh Channabasappa (Constituency- Belagavi,Karnataka).