Indian-American Scientist Latha Venkatraman and her team of Columbia Engineering researchers have created single-molecule of electronic device that has potential of real world technological applications for nanoscale devices. Single-molecule diode that performs 50 times better than other designs have been developed by the researchers under the guidance of Latha .
- In nanoscience studies , creating a device where the active element is only a single molecule has long been a dream.
- As per Latha Venkatraman, the device developed represents the ultimate in functional miniaturisation for an electronic based device.
- She added that the field of molecular electronics has become more critical in solving the miniaturisation problems, with electronic devices becoming smaller these days.
- A single molecule represents the ultimate limit of miniaturisation.
- Arieh Aviram and Mark Ratner suggested the idea of single-molecule diode, who in 1974 proposed that a molecule may act as a rectifier, a one-way electric current conductor.
- She and her team are working on undersatanding the physics behind it and are also trying their hands in increasing the rectification ratios using new molecular systems.
- The report was published on 25th May in the journal ”Nature Nanotechnology”.
Nanosciences and technology
- It refers to mainpulation of matter on an atomic, molecular and supramolecular scale.
- Nanaotechnology as defined by size is broad field of science includes organic chemistry, molecular biology,semiconductor physics.
- Nanaotechnology can create many new materials with applications in medicine,electronics, biomaterials.
- Types of nano materials are Carbon Nanaotubes, Fullerenes,Dendrimers,Silver nanoparticles etc .
- Future of nanotechnology would include nanorobotics usuge where the tasks that humans could never complete would be done by them.
Diode– what is it??
- Diode is two terminal electronic component with asymmetric conductance.
- On one side it has zero resistance to current and on other side has very high resistance.
- Ferdinand Braun in 1874 discovered diode.
- First semiconductor diodes were made from mineral crystals like galena, chief ore of lead.
- Presently diodes are made of silicon.
- Selenium and Germanium are also used sometimes.
- Various types of diodes are LED,Photo diodes, Zener diodes,Schottky diodes etc