An Indian-origin teacher has been honored by prestigious Oxford University for helping a student to get into world famous university. ”University of Oxford Inspirational Teacher Award’‘ was given to Indian-origin Gurnimrat ‘Nimmy’ Sidhu,head of Sciences at Oaks Park High School. the award was set up to encourage more state-funded schools to connect with the university.
- Sidhu forced her student Esther Odejimi to get her exams remarked helping her to get admission Pembroke College, Oxford to study theology subject.
- Odejimi heaped praises on her teacher saying that her teacher was the most inspirational,supportive and selfless teacher to have taught and to spend time.
- Despite coming from socio-economic background, Odejimi said it was because of her teacher Sidhu who encouraged her by saying that she was more adequate academically for thriving at institution as famous as that.
- Sidhu said that she was humble enough to get the award feels taht she gets inspired by the students with whom she works.
- Sidhu got the award in Oxford lastweek along with 11 others who were also nominated by their students.
- It was a scheme set up by the university in order to counter criticism of elitism with opinion that mostly wealthy and privately educated students could get admission in those famous colleges and universities.
- Andrew Hamilton,Oxford University Vice-chancellor Professor said that great deal of energy and effort in encouraging students with ability and potential to apply is devoted by Oxford , but teachers play main role in supporting and raising the aspirations of students.
- He also said about how valuable role of a teacher can be as the award would send message to students and universities regarding that.
About Oxford university
- It is a collegiate research university.
- Located in Oxford,UK.
- It is the world’s second most oldest university ever.
- Vice- chancellor is Andrew Hamilton.
- The university operates largest university press in the world.
- Some notable alumni’s are T.E Lawrence,Rupert Murdoch,Manmohan Singh, Benazir Bhutto etc