Mizoram Government officially Launched National Food Security Act, 2013 and will come in effect from March 1, 2016.The Act was launched by Food and Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Minister John Rotluangliana at Aizwal in Mizoram.
- Priority Group people will be issued Subsidized rice through Public Distribution System from March 1, necessary arrangements have made to implement on time.
- The Act will cover two third of the state’s population , Up to 75 % of the Rural population and 50% urban population for receiving the subsidized food grain.
- Over 706, 296 out of the total population of 11 lakh would be provided rice at subsidized rate while the non-beneficiaries could buy eight kg of rice per month at a cost of Rs. 15 per Kg.
- 9, 814 tonnes of rice would be required every month to meet the requirement of Public Distribution through this Act.
National Food Security Act (NFSA):
- The National Food Security Act, 2013 also known as Right to Food Act which aims to provide subsidized food grain to the priority group people to approximately two third of the National Population.
- The Act empowers beneficiaries of the Public Distribution System are eligible to 5 Kg rice per person for the price of Rs.3 in case of Wheat Rs. 2 and Coarse Grains at Rs.1.
- Mizoram Capital: Aizwal
- Mizoram Governor: Pu Lalthanhawla
- Mizoram CM: Nirbhay Sharma