The International women’s day is celebrated on 8th March globally which was earlier known as Working Women’s Day.
Socialists first put forward the idea of advancing women’s suffrage through a day to mark women’s enormous contribution to humankind. But now it is celebrated as a day to focus on general celebration of respect, appreciation, and love towards woration for women’s economic, political, and social achievements.
The earliest Women’s Day observance was held on February 28, 1909, in New York it was organized by the Socialist Party of America in remembrance of the 1908 strike of the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union. In 1913 Russian women observed their first International Women’s Day on the last Saturday in February
- In 1975, which was designated as International Women’s Year, the United Nations gave official sanction to International Women’s Day
|2014||Equality for Women is Progress for All|
|2015||Empowering Women, Empowering Humanity: Picture it!|
|2016||Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality|
Points about theme of 2016
- The current goals fit in with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- It has a stand-alone goal just for the empowerment of women and girls as a core means of tackling economic underperformance, global overpopulation and poverty worldwide
- Nearly a quarter of a billion more women are in the global workforce today than a decade ago, but they are only earning what men did in 2006
- This year’s theme has a clear focus on creating Gender Equality by 2030