International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year.It commemorates the movement for women’s rights.March 8 was suggested by the 1910 International Socialist Woman’s Conference to become an “International Woman’s Day.”
The theme for International Women’s Day 2018 was chosen as – ‘Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives’.
Some important events on IWD 2018:-
Chandragiri to be all-women railway station:-
In a significant development, South Central Railway (SCR), Guntakal division, chose Chandragiri railway station near Tirupati as the “all-women railway station”. Though the concept was not new in Indian Railways or even in SCR, it will be the first in Guntakal division.
- Accordingly, station master, booking clerks, security, points staff and sub staff will be women only in the station. The male staff working there now will be replaced by women. This was aimed at empowering women and encourages them to show their potential.
NITI Aayog launches Women Entrepreneurship Platform on International Women’s Day:-
During the International Women’s Day, NITI Aayog launched the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) to building an ecosystem for women across India to realize their entrepreneurial aspirations, scale-up innovative initiatives and chalk-out sustainable, long-term strategies for their businesses.
- The WEP theme song “Naari Shakti” composed and sung by Singer Kailash Kher was released on this occasion. The WEP will provide opportunities to women realize their entrepreneurial aspirations, scale-up innovative initiatives and chalk-out sustainable, long-term strategies for their businesses.
Justice Gita Mittal to be conferred ‘Nari Shakti’ award:-
Delhi High Court Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal becomes the first woman from the field of law and justice to be conferred the ‘Nari Shakti Puraskar‘, India’s highest civilian honour for women.
- The award which is conferred by the Ministry of Women and Child Development will be presented by the President at a ceremony in Rashtrapati Bhavan on International Women’s Day.
Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurates DoPT Workshop on International Women’s Day:-
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated a workshop on International Women’s Day.
- The day long Workshop was organised by DoPT on the theme of “Women Empowerment, Opportunities and Challenges.” Secretary, DoPT, Shri C. Chandramouli, Director General, Doordarshan, Smt. Supriya Sahu and renowned classical dance artist Smt. Rama Vaidyanathan were also present at the event.
- The workshop aimed at recognising women and their contribution to the development of society at large. Ms NL Beno Zephine, first 100% visually challenged person to be in Indian Foreign Service, was the Chief Guest on the occasion.