At the Cochin Shipyard Limited CSL, India’s first home made aircraft carrier INS Vikrant was undocked successfully. A series of fitment and trial processes combined with series of static and dynamic trials will be made on the aircraft before it is inducted to Indian navy in 2018 end.
- India joins other countries like Russia,USA,UK,France in designing and construction of aircraft carriers now with the sucessful completion in constructing 40,000 tonne aircraft carrier INS Vikrant.
- In August 2013,the carrier was launched and was left its dry dock in 2011 December.
- Cochin Shipyard Limited CSL CMD Mr Karthik Subramaniam and other officials were present when undocking tool place.
INS Vikrant– some facts and features
- Vikrant refers to’ bold’ in hindi and ‘courageous’ in sanskrit.
- The length of INS Vikrant is 260 metres and breadth of 60 metres weighs around 40,000 tonnes.
- It has 2 take-off runways and a landing strip with 3 arrester wires, capable of operating STOBAR aircraft and home made LCA or Light Combat Vehicle Tejas.
- It can carry up to 36 fixed-wing jets includng MIG-29 K.
- In addition , it will carry ten helicopters like kamos Ka-31 s, Westland Sea kings or Dhurvs.
- Indian Navys directorate of Naval Design has done the basic design of this aircraft carrier and design team members of CSL had developed it into detailed design.
- Defending of naval fleet would be its sole aim and it would be placed in Indian Ocean where worlds economic and commercial interests converge.
About Cochin Shipyard Limited CSL
- CSL forms the largest shipbuilding and maintainence facility in India.
- Founded in the year 1972.
- Headquarters in Kochi, Kerala.
- Present CMD is Mr K. Subramaniam.
- Products includes tankers , bulk carriers, patrol boats etc