As per announced in the Budget 2015, Development Cell of the Railway Board has come up with a design that combines the advantages of vacuum toilets and those of Bio toilets to create a new design of “Hybrid Vacuum Toilet”.
- The concept of a hybrid vacuum toilet is a first ever system of its kind to have been developed and built by any railway system in the world.
- One such toilet has been fitted in one coach No. 153002/C FAC that is running in Dibrugarh Rajdhani for trail purpose.
ABOUT HYBRID VACCUM TOILET
- The prototype consists of a custom designed vacuum toilet adapted from vacuum toilet that is used in aircrafts which evacuates its discharge into a bio digester tank.
- The bio digester tank is fitted underneath the coach and contains anaerobic bacteria that convert human fecal matter into water and small amount of gases before discharging the same on the ground or track.
WATER SAVING TECHNOLOGY
- Conventional toilet or Bio toilet uses 10 – 15 liters of water per flush whereas the vacuum toilet consumes only approximate 500 ml of water for flushing.
- This innovation shall save water to the tune of at least 1/20th of the quantity that is used in the current design of conventional toilets.
This newly technologically developed Hybrid Vacuum Toilet will help to maintain hygiene and cleanliness as there is no direct extraction of human waste.