The trio of Dhanush Babu, Vikram Ingale and Nikhilesh Tabhane have won India’s first ever senior international roller skating medal in the Asian Championship in China.
About Roller Skating,
Roller skating is the traveling on surfaces with roller skates. It is a form of recreational activity as well as a sport, and can also be a form of transportation. Skates generally come in three basic varieties: quad roller skates, in line skates or blades and tri-skates, though some have experimented with a single-wheeled “quintessence skate” or other variations on the basic skate design.
- In America, this hobby was most popular, first between 1935 and the early 1960s and then in the 1970s, when polyurethane wheels were created and “Disco” oriented roller rinks were the rage and then again in the 1990s when in-line outdoor roller skating, thanks to the improvement made to inline roller skates in 1981 by Scott Olson, took hold.
- Roller sport is popular as a recreational sport in India, specially roller skating for children, and it is gaining popularity as a competitive sport. There are clubs in cities and towns, and roller skating is taught in some schools of urban areas.
- Roller sportsin India are governed by the Roller Skating Federation of India, which was founded by S.P.Mumick in 1955. Tulsi Agarwal has been a long time office bearer of the federation. Individual skaters are registered with a club.
- The clubs are registered with district associations, which are in turn affiliated with the state associations. The state associations are affiliated with the RSFI.
- The roller skating rink at The Rink Pavilion in Mussoorie is one of the largest and most historic rinks in India. India’s first international-standard banked track is at the roller sports centre in Virar, Mumbai.
- The 50th National Speed Roller Skating Championships were held here in January 2013.Another banked track is at the D.A.V. Public School in Faridabad. A banked-track of international standards also been made at Viman Nagar , Pune , Maharashtra.
About the championship,
The Indian trio shocked higher ranked contestants such as Chinese Taipei and Indonesia. South Korea pocketed the gold medal, while hosts China won silver medal. Chinese Taipei, Iran and Indonesia finished fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively in the summit clash involving six teams.
- The top six skaters from the nationals held in Vizag earlier this year were shortlisted to represent the national. Despite being the cream of the crop in the country, the skaters have to self-fund their international trips.
- Dhanush is currently the fastest speed skater in India with a timing of 25.14 seconds in the 300m sprint. He is currently coached by his father Balaji Babu.