On October 17, 2019, 1st Edition of Hurun Global Unicorn List for 2019 was released by Hurun Research Institute. It is a ranking of the world’s billion-dollar tech ‘start-ups’ founded in the 2000s which are not yet listed on a public exchange. India was ranked third in the list with 21 unicorns while China topped with 206 and United States (US) stood at second position with 203.Key Points:
- The list followed the sixth quarterly Hurun China Unicorn Index and valuations were a snapshot as of 30 June 2019.
- There are 494 unicorns in the world in 25 countries and 118 cities worth $3.4 billion on average and $1.7 trillion in total (taking 7 years average).
- China and the US accounted for over 80% of the world’s unicorns.
- Unicorns from India were led by payments solutions platform One97 Communications ($10 billion); cab aggregator Ola Cabs ($6 billion); online educator Byju’s ($6 billion) and travel-stay finder OYO Rooms ($5 billion).
- By city, Beijing (China) is the world’s unicorn capital with 82, followed by San Francisco (55), Shanghai, New York and Hangzhou.
- By region, Silicon Valley (United States) led the world with 102 or 21% of the world’s unicorns.
- The United Kingdom (UK) was fourth globally with 13 and Europe had 35 unicorns.
About Hurun Report:
♦ Chairman & Chief Researcher: Rupert Hoogewerf