Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) has successfully tested the II prototype of naval variant of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-Tejas in Bengaluru. The Naval Prototype 2 (NP2) is indigenously developed and the success of NP2 is definitely a significant milestone in the India’s indigenous carrier borne aircraft development programme.
The HAL Spokesperson said that NP-2 incorporates most avionic hardware components promised to the Indian Navy. NP-2 has been customized to incrementally accept modifications for carrier landings. NP 2 is the lead aircraft for arrestor hook integration, Derby Beyond Visual Range missile and tactical data link.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Tejas means Radiance. India’s LCA was named as Tejas by the then Prime Minister AB Vajpayee. Tejas is the second supersonic fighter developed by HAL after the HAL Marut. Tejas will be used by Indian Air force as well as Indian Navy.
- Based on the speed (Mach number), Aircraft are classified into three types.
- a) Subsonic – Any speed below Mach 1
- b) Supersonic – Any speed between Mach 1 to Mach 5
- c) Hypersonic – Any speed above Mach 5
- Note: 1 Mach = 1225.0 kilometer per hour
- India is working on Hypersonic Aircrafts.
- A hypersonic version of the Brahmos missile namely BrahMos-II is under development with speed of Mach 7. It is expected to be ready for testing by 2017.