The 5th and last ship in the series of Fast Patrol Vessels (FPV) namely “ICGS Kanaklata Barua” or “Yard 2117” for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has been delivered by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd. This was the 105th vessel delivered by GRSE.
- The ship is 50m long, 7.5m wide and has a displacement of 308 tons with a maximum speed of 34knots (1 knot= 1.15miles per hour) enduring more than 1500 nautical miles
- It should be noted that ICGS (Indian Coast Guard Ship) Kanaklata Barua was launched in August 2019 at Yard 2117 by Veena Ajay Kumar, wife of Secretary Defence (Production) Ajay Kumar. It was named after a freedom fighter from Assam. Click here to read: 5th fast patrol vessel- Kanaklata Barua,for Indian Coast Guard launched by GRSE Kolkata. Now, it has been delivered.
The handover was done at GRSE’s Fitting Out Unit in Kolkata, West Bengal. The Protocol of Delivery and Acceptance was signed between Rear Admiral VK Saxena, IN (Retd.), Chairman & Managing Director, GRSE and Commanding Officer of the vessel, Comdt (JG) Subhash Kapoor, in the presence of DIG RH Nandodkar TM, S.S.Dogra, Director (Finance), Cmde S.Nayyar, Director (Shipbuilding), Cmde. P R Hari, Director (Personnel) and other Senior Officials of GRSE and Indian Coast Guard.
4th in the series FPV, “Yard 2116” ready for export to Seychelles Coast Guard (SCG)
Yard 2116, the Fourth ship in the series of FPVs is designated for export delivery to the Seychelles Coast Guard (SCG). In order to fill the gap, GRSE will make another ship as a replacement to the exported one after inking related formalities regarding amendments to the existing contract.
These are entirely designed by GRSE’s Central Design Office which can achieve speeds exceeding 34 knots with an endurance of more than 1500 nautical miles.
- These are fuel-efficient making them compatible for operations like patrolling, anti-smuggling, anti-poaching and rescue.
- These ships are also fitted with 40/60 Gun as Main Armament and have improved habitability features with fully air-conditioned modular accommodation for 35 personnel.
- Earlier Deliveries: GRSE had earlier made deliveries of FPVs ICGS Priyadarshini, ICGS Annie Besant and ICGS Amrit Kaur in this series. “Yard 2116” is set for export to SCG.
- The latest FPV series is an improvised version of Inshore Patrol Vessels built by GRSE in 2013.
It was nationalized in the year 1960 and was awarded the status of Schedule B & Mini Ratna-Category I Company by the Department of Public Enterprises under the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
Headquarters– Kolkata, India.
Chairman and Managing Director (CMD)– Rear Admiral Vipin Kumar Saxena, IN(retd).