Ms Nirmala Gajwani the former Deputy speaker of Gujarat Assembly passed away on 21 January 2016 in Rajkot, Gujarat. She was a reputed social worker and one of the chief illuminations of the Sindhi community in the state.
About Gajwani life
- She was born on 28th December 1928 at Rohari Sindh in Kewlani
- She was married with Hasanand Gajwani at the age of 16.
- During the partition of India and Pakistan, she was forced to escape as a refugee with her 10-month old newborn son in 1947.
- Gajwani was the first lady Deputy Speaker of Gujarat legislative Assembly.
- She was first woman MLA from Kutch district in Gujarat Assembly.
- She was Chairperson of Sindhu Resettlement Corporation (SRC) which is responsible for all the land development in the Gandhidham-Adipur metropolitan area.
- She also had worked in education field and was responsible for starting many educational institutions in the state.
- She allotted 25 acres to the Sports Authority of Gujarat (SAG) to build a sports complex in Adipur.
- She has given 2 acres to the Kutch District Table Tennis Association (KDTTA) for a state-of-the-art indoor stadium and another five acres for a sports arena to host basketball, volleyball, swimming, tennis and cricket.
- She is a perfect example of how “trying times are often a blessing in disguise”.
- She is the only person from the Kutch area to receive Best social worker Award from the Central Social Welfare Board in 1975.
- Gujarat Capital: Gandhi Nagar
- Gujarat Capital CM: Anandiben Patel
- Gujarat Governor: Om Prakash Kohli