Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has won Gujarat legislative assembly elections for the sixth straight time despite a strong challenge from Rahul Gandhi-led Congress.
Gujarat Assembly Election Results:
Assembly elections were held in Gujarat in two phases – on December 9, 2017 and December 14, 2017.
- BJP has been in power in Gujarat since 1995. It is the home state of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- However, BJP’s victory margin in this election reduced considerably. In 182-member Gujarat assembly, BJP won 99 seats. This marks a loss of 16 seats as compared to 2012 elections.
- Congress won 77 seats in this election, gaining 16 seats as compared to 2012 elections.
- In terms of percentage of votes, BJP secured 1 per cent, while Congress got 41.4 per cent.
- In election campaign, Congress received strong support from Patidar leader Hardik Patel and Dalit leaders Alpesh Thakor and Jignesh Mewani.
Quick Facts about Gujarat:
- Capital – Gandhinagar
- Current Governor – Om Prakash Kohli
- Important National Park – Gir Forest National Park
BJP Wrests Power from Congress in Himachal Pradesh
BJP also won state assembly election in Himachal Pradesh. In the 68–member Himachal Pradesh State Assembly, BJP won on 44 seats.
- The incumbent Congress Government only won 21 seats in this election.
- BJP’s win on 44 seats was quite remarkable as in 2012 election it had won only 26 seats while Congress had attained majority with 36 seats.
- However, BJP’s Chief Ministerial candidate, Prem Kumar Dhumal lost to Congress’ Rajinder Rana on Sujanpur constituency seat.
- With this win, BJP has attained power in 19 out of 29 states.
Quick Facts about Himachal Pradesh:
- Capital – Shimla, Dharamshala (second capital in Winter)
- Current Governor – Acharya Dev Vrat
- Important National Park – Great Himalayan National Park