In the latest Forbes Fab 40 2016 list of the biggest sports brands in the world, Dhoni is slated at No 10th spot in the top 10 athletes and he remains the most valued Indian athlete in 2016.
About Forbes Fab 40 :
Forbes Fab 40 lists out top 10 Sports Brands, Events, Athletes and Teams. According to the magazine, an athletes brand value is their earnings (excluding salary from bonus from their sport and their investment income), minus the average income of the top 10 athletes in the same sport.
- The list is topped by tennis legend and 17-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer.
- With a brand value of $36 million, Federer gained two notches from third last year, while Woods dropped four spots to stand fifth on the latest edition of the list. Among other top athletes on the list is Argentine football star Lionel Messi, ranked eighth. He was not among the top 10 last year.
The Top 10 List :
|Label||Label value||Team||Team value||Athlete||Athlete value||Event|
|Nike||27,000||New York Yankees||660||Roger Federer||36||Super Bowl|
|ESPN||16,500||Dallas Cowboys||580||Lebron James||34||Summer Olympics|
|Adidas||7,000||Los Angeles Lakers||550||Phil Mickelson||28||Winter Olympics|
|Under Armour||5,500||Real Madrid||520||Usain Bolt||25||FIFA World Cup|
|Sky Sports||5,000||Barcelona||510||Tiger Woods||23||WrestleMania|
|UFC||2,000||Manchester United||500||Cristiano Ronaldo||19||College Football Playoffs|
|MLBAM||2,200||New York Knicks||450||Kevin Durant||16||College Basketball Final Four|
|YES||1,400||New England Patriots||430||Lionel Messi||15||World Series|
|Reebok||800||Bayern Munich||430||Rory Mcilroy||13||Daytona 500|
|NESN||750||Los Angeles Dodgers||410||MS Dhoni||11||UEFA Champions League|
About MS Dhoni,
Mahendra Singh Dhoni commonly known as S. Dhoni was born 7 July 1981. He is an Indian cricketer and the current captain of the Indian national cricket team in limited-overs formats.
- An attacking right-handed middle-order batsman and wicket-keeper, he is widely regarded as one of the greatest finishers in limited-overs cricket. He made his One Day International (ODI) debut in December 2004 against Bangladesh, and played his first Test a year later against Sri Lanka.
- Dhoni holds numerous captaincy records such as most wins by an Indian captain in Tests and ODIs, and most back-to-back wins by an Indian captain in ODIs. He took over the ODI captaincy from Rahul Dravid in 2007 and led the team to its first-ever bilateral ODI series wins in Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
- Under his captaincy, India won the 2007 ICC World Twenty20, the CB Series of 2007–08, the 2010 Asia Cup, the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup and the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy. In the final of the 2011 World Cup, Dhoni scored 91 not out off 79 balls handing India the victory for which he was awarded the Man of the Match.
- In June 2013, when India defeated England in the final of the Champions Trophy in England, Dhoni became the first captain to win all three ICC limited-overs trophies (World Cup, Champions Trophy and the World Twenty20). After taking up the Test captaincy in 2008, he led the team to series wins in New Zealand and West Indies, and the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in 2008, 2010 and 2013. In 2009, Dhoni also led the Indian team to number one position for the first time in the ICC Test rankings.
- In 2013, under his captaincy, India became the first team in more than 40 years towhitewash Australia in a Test series. In the Indian Premier League, he captained the Chennai Super Kings to victory at the 2010 and 2011 seasons, along with wins in the 2010 and 2014 editions of Champions League Twenty20. He announced his retirement from Tests on 30 December 2014.
- Dhoni holds the record for the most number of sixes in International Cricket by an Indian and is 5th across the World having hit 304 sixes in 448 innings behind Shahid Afridi, Chris Gayle, Brendon McCullum and Sanath Jayasuriya
- Dhoni holds the post of Vice-President of India Cements Ltd., after resigning from Air India. India Cements is the owner of the IPL team Chennai Super Kings, and Dhoni has been its captain since the first IPL season. Dhoni is the co-owner of Indian Super League team Chennaiyin FC.
- Dhoni has been the recipient of many awards, including theICC ODI Player of the Year award in 2008 and 2009 (the first player to win the award twice), the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2007 and the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour, in 2009.
- He was named as the captain of ICC World Test XI and ICC World ODI XI teams for 2009. The IndianT erritorial Army conferred the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel to Dhoni on 1 November 2011.
- He is the second Indian cricketer after Kapil Dev to have received this honour. In 2011, Time magazine included Dhoni in its annual Time 100 list as one of the “Most Influential People in the World.
- In 2012,SportsPro rated Dhoni as the sixteenth most marketable athlete in the world. In June 2015, Forbes ranked Dhoni at 23rd in the list of highest paid athletes in the world, estimating his earnings at US$31 million. In 2016, a biopic S. Dhoni: The Untold Story was made on him.