The European Union has lifted the ban imposed on the import of India’s Alphonso mangoes. The ban was imposed seven months back due to the presence of fruit flies in the consignments. Still the ban on imports of bitter gourd, brinjal, snake gourd and taro remains as it is. As the ban is lifted, the price of the mangoes may rise for local consumers, as the exports will reduce the availability in the Indian market.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The European Union is the union of 28 countries which are primarily located in Europe.
- The Treaty which established the EU under its current name in 1993 and introduced the European Citizenship was Maastricht Treaty.
- The motto of EU is Unity in Diversity and the Anthem is Ode to Joy.
- The Current President of the European Commission is Jean-Claude Juncker.
- Mango is the National Fruit of India and popularly referred as King of Fruits in India. Durian is the King of Fruits in World.
- The International Mango Festival is a two days annual festival for show casing different varieties of mangoes, held during summer in Delhi since 1987.