Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are providing here some important idioms and phrases, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- An apple of discord
1) The cause of contention
2) Sour apple
3) A disturbing fact
4) A fight for an appleAnswer – 1)
Explanation: An apple of discord -Something that causes unhappiness or trouble.
- At the eleventh hour
1) At eleven o’clock
2) in the last line
3) Arrive late
4) The last possible timeAnswer – 4)
Explanation: at the eleventh hour: At the last possible moment or opportunity.
- On the cards
1) A winner
2) Accept defeat
3) Play at cards
4) Likely to happenAnswer – 4)
Explanation: On the cards-Very likely or certain to happen, occur, or take place.
- Call it a day
1) Stop active day or life
2) Name the day
3) Call in day time
4) Call on someoneAnswer – 1)
Explanation: Call it a day-to quit work and go home; to say that a day’s work has been completed., to stop some activity
- Much ado about nothing
1) To make a noise
2) To make a fuss over small matter
3) A play by Shaw
4) Talk about somebodyAnswer – 4)
Explanation: Much ado about nothing -a furor over something unimportant. , a lot of trouble or excitement about something that is not important
- To rock the boat
1) To inspire people
2) To create confusion
3) To felicitate
4) To disturb a situationAnswer – 4)
Explanation: To rock the boat- to cause trouble where none is welcome; to disturb a situation that is otherwise stable and satisfactory.
- To beat the air
1) To make a great effort
2) To act intelligently
3) To make efforts that are useless or in vain
4) To make every possible effortAnswer – 3)
Explanation: To beat the air-. Continue to make futile attempts, fight to no purpose.
- To give airs
4) HumbleAnswer – 3)
Explanation: give (oneself) airs: To think or behave as though one is superior to others or better than one really is; to have or assume a pretentious or self-aggrandizing attitude.
- See through
1) To desist something
2) To see off
3) To detect the true nature
4) To ignore somethingAnswer – 3)
Explanation: See through- to understand or detect the true nature of someone or something. , to follow through on something until it is completed.
- To burn one’s fingers
1) to have a burning sensation at the tips of one’s fingers
2) to undergo suffering heroically for one’s principles
3) to behave as if one is very great and important
4) to get into unwanted troubleAnswer – 4)
Explanation: To burn one’s fingers: to get one’s self into unexpected trouble, as by interfering the concerns of others, speculation, etc.