Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are providing here some important idioms and phrases, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- Part and parcel
1) Does not want to choose or make a decision.
2) To have no idea.
4) A basic or essential part.Answer – 4)
Explanation : A basic or essential part
Example – Working overtime is part and parcel of my job.
- Sacred cow
1) Someone who lacks intelligence.
2) Institution held to be above criticism.
3) Happens very rarely.
4)Very different from.Answer – 2)
Explanation : institution held to be above criticism
Example – The sacred cow of monetarism.
- Moot point
1) An issue open to argument
2) The final problem in a series of problems
3) Actions or communications need more than one person
4)Do not put all your resources in one possibilityAnswer – 1)
Explanation : an issue open to argument
Example – It’s a moot pointwhether the chicken or the egg came first.
- Hold one’s peace
1) Even difficult times will lead to better days.
2) Overwhelmed by what is happening in the moment.
3) remain silent about something.
4) To hear rumors.Answer – 3)
Explanation : remain silent about something.
Example – he nodded indulgently at such pertness and obstinacy, but held his peace.
- From pillar to post
1) Someone finds it difficult to choose between two alternatives.
2) It is up to you to make the next decision or step.
3) Something good that isn’t recognized at first.
4) From one place to another in an unceremonious or fruitless manner.Answer – 4)
Explanation : from one place to another in an unceremonious or fruitless manner.
Example – They were pushed from pillar to post from the moment they left their homes.
- Play second fiddle
1) To take on a task that is way too big.
2) Have a subordinate role to someone or something.
3) A good invention or innovation.
4)To work late into the night.Answer – 2)
Explanation : have a subordinate role to someone or something
Example – He resented playing second fiddle to his younger brother.
- Kith and kin
1) Friends and relatives
2) Peace and war
3) Sweet and better
4) Family and friendsAnswer – 1)
Explanation : friends and relatives
Example – They wanted to keep alive the memory of their kith and kin who had died in the war.
- Hang by a thread
1) You complain about a loss from the past.
2) Cannot judge something primarily on appearance.
3) To be in danger of having something unlucky or bad happen.
4)Something is done badly to save money.Answer – 3)
Explanation : to be in danger of having something unlucky or bad happen
Example -For several days after the accident, his life hung by a thread.
- See eye to eye
1) Happens very rarely.
2) Two (or more people) agree on something.
3) To hear something from the authoritative source.
4) Deceive someone into thinking well of them.Answer – 2)
Explanation : two (or more people) agree on something.
Example – I’m so glad we see eye to eye on whom we should pick for department head.
- Turn one’s head
1) Something is very expensive.
2) Feeling slightly ill.
3) Cause to become infatuated.
4)All the advantages.Answer – 3)
Explanation : Cause to become infatuated,
Example – The new teacher turned all the girls’ heads