Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Fill in the blanks, which is BASED ON Bank EXAMS 2018 !!!
Fill in the blanks
Directions (Q.1-10)Choose ONE word to be fitted in both the sentences I and II and another word that suits for sentence III.
- I. On Halloween night, people are known to do _______ things.
II. Because of his ______ nature, Jeremy found it hard to keep a steady job
III. It is important to _______ clearly the distinction between breeds
1. elbowroom, latitude
2. capricious , grasp
3. revert, recur
4. bucolic, rustic
5. meter, cadenceAnswer : 2)
Capricious-given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behaviour
Grasp-seize and hold firmly
- I. Improper use possibly result in bodily damnify, and _________ fintness machine.
II. There is almost no phrase so simple that he cannot _______ it.
III. She was ______ and uncoordinated as a girl.
1. inverse, transpose
2. raze, demolish
3. mangle , clumsy
4. bridle, inhibit
5. rugged, scabrousAnswer : 3)
Mangle-destroy or severely damage by tearing or crushing
Clumsy-awkward in movement or in handling things
- I. The class positively _________ with indignation when Julia won the award.
II. She grinned derisively while I _______ with rage.
III. Corporations no longer ________ about their generous benefits; instead they take pride in offering stingy benefits and low wages
1. seethed , brag
2. flush, loaded
3. depict, limn
4. repose, leisure
5. raze, demolishAnswer : 1)
Seethed-be filled with intense but unexpressed anger or rise
Brag-say something in a boastful manner
- I. He has the characteristics of a ______:, he is awkward, stupid, and boorish.
II. Some of the films on TV would scare the ________ of adults as well as children.
III. Only the locked gate and guardhouse ________ anything more uncommon inside.
1. mock, taunt
2. venerate, adore
3. stern, austere
4. lout , bespeak
5. tremble, quakeAnswer : 4)
Lout – uncouth and aggressive
Bespeak-be evidence of; indicate
- I. He put up a/an ______ to support the newly planted tree
II. He marked the spot on his map where he had seen the gold and returned later that month to ________ his claim.
III. He is known for his _______ wit and his mean streak
1. maxim, adage
2. stake , acerbic
3. proverb, aphorism
4. perceive, discern
5. descry, observeAnswer : 2)
Stake-mark an area with stakes so as to claim ownership of it
Acerbic-sharp and forthright
- I. And this I say, lest any man should _________ you with enticing words.
II. Therefore you can happily build word pictures with which to ________ and captivate an audience
III. The only way to shape it is to _______ it with even harder substances.
1. brash, impudent
2. earnest, sedate
3. bathetic, maudlin
4. ascetic, strict
5. beguile , abradeAnswer : 5)
Beguile-charm or enchant
Abrade-scrape or wear away by friction or erosion
- I. He was _______ in a web of deceit and lies.
II. Many trade union leaderships had become ________ in participation in incomes policies and arrangements for long-term contracts.
III. A priest was called in to _____ victims’ families.
1. cover, retreat
2. enmeshed , console
3. baleful, malign
4. decipher, resolve,
5. gregarious, sociableAnswer : 2)
Enmeshed – cause to become entangled in something
Console-comfort (someone) at a time of grief or disappointment
- I. A careless word may kindle ____; a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, a loving word may heal and bless.
II. The country has been torn apart by years of civil _____.
III. One glance at the doctor’s ________ expression answered my question.
1. amorphous, formless
2. badge, mark
3. slovenly, unkempt
4. diminutive, little
5. strife , dejectedAnswer : 5)
Strife – angry or bitter disagreement over fundamental issues
Dejected- sad and depressed
- I. _________ by her smile, he asked her to dance.
II. With such a majority, the administration was ________ to introduce radical new policies.
III. These measures will perpetuate the _____________ between the two groups.
1. emboldened , hostility
2. reek, stink
3. divest, denude
4. condescend, design
5. infertile, barrenAnswer : 1)
Emboldened- give (someone) the courage or confidence to do something
Hostility-hostile behaviour; unfriendliness
- I. She has been unable to ______the details of the accident from her memory.
II. The juvenile court may ________ or destroy the records a juvenile at any time.
III. He hopes one day to _______ the world record.
1. snitch, pilfer
2. stalwart, tenacious
3. expunge , surpass
4. pinnacle, acme
5. oversee, superintendAnswer : 3)
Expunge-obliterate or remove completely
Surpass- exceed; be greater than
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification