Welcome to Online English Section with explanation inAffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample inFill in the blanks, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- Imagine___________not only for the old and infirm Ma/ Ai/ Ammi, but also for female street children who are invariably___________upon and become lust-fodder.
1) separate, peerless
2) disunite, renounced
3) shelters, foraged
4) break off, curbing
5) hireling, nimbleAnswer – 3)
shelters – a place giving temporary protection from bad weather or danger.
foraged – (of a person or animal) search widely for food or provisions.
- An unprecedented decision by a seven judge Supreme Court bench to___________a sitting judge of Calcutta high court, CS Karnan, and sentence him to six months___________foregrounds worrisome systemic issues.
1) convict, imprisonment
2) disaffect, flowing
3) estrange, controlling
4) scapegoat, evading
5) immolation, preventingAnswer – 1)
Explanation: convict, imprisonment
imprisonment – the state of being imprisoned; captivity.
- This experience___________exposed a shortcoming in the current framework to discipline a judge, for incidents that may not require a___________impeachment procedure.
1) divide, mainline
2) starkly, cumbersome
3) affections of, homelike
4) gudgeon, homey
5) curvaceous, soothingAnswer – 2)
Explanation: starkly, cumbersome
starkly – in a way that is severe or harsh in appearance or outline.
cumbersome – large or heavy and therefore difficult to carry or use; unwieldy.
- It is___________that an effective system for appointing judges would have permitted him entry, leading to the current___________situation the judiciary finds itself in.
1) harmonious, homely
2) conceivable, snug
3) gopher, constrains
4) inconceivable, embarrassing
5) martyr, controlledAnswer – 4)
Explanation: inconceivable, embarrassing
- In the case of thermal power, the costs of pollution and greenhouse effects besides the cost of___________gaps in the grid to transfer thermal power to remote areas need to be___________in.
1) patsy, exquisite
2) bridging, factored
3) pushover, adroit
4) fathomable, decorative
5) balletic, incomparableAnswer – 2)
Explanation: bridging, factored
bridging – a method of climbing a wide chimney by using the left hand and foot on one side wall and the right hand and foot on the other.
factor – (of a company) sell (its invoices) to a factor.
- They all have the ability to control smart___________and tell users about the traffic___________and the news.
1) sacrifice, refrain
2) gambit, limber
3) wretch, forbear
4) appliances, conditions
5) elastic, aestheticAnswer – 4)
Explanation: appliances, conditions
appliances – a device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task.
conditions – the state of something with regard to its appearance, quality, or working order.
- The Karnan episode also shows up the___________of filters in the___________system which enabled his appointment as a judge despite his evident incapacity to hold the post.
1) sufferer, crowning
2) casualty, unparalleled
3) inadequacy, unrivaled
4) imaginable, sovereign
5) outstanding, declineAnswer – 3)
Explanation: inadequacy, unrivaled
inadequacy – the state or quality of being inadequate; lack of the quantity or quality required.
unrivaled – better than everyone or everything of the same type.
- He frequently levelled___________charges against other judges who were his___________.
1) predominant, dainty
2) sucker, eschew
3) capricious, colleagues
4) stooge, foremost
5) collegium, paramountAnswer – 3)
Explanation: capricious, colleagues
capricious – given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behaviour.
colleagues – a person with whom one works in a profession or business.
- There are questions about the efficacy of the current collegium system of___________judges and the___________down of gag orders by the judiciary.
1) cardinal, champion
2) unapproachable, unequaled
3) prominent, evaded
4) appointing, handing
5) dominant, essentialAnswer – 4)
Explanation: appointing, handing
- The apex court’s verdict and events which___________it indicate that there are gaps in the judiciary’s___________which need to be addressed.
1) preeminent, premier
2) stellar, strongest
3) prevailing, primary
4) preceded ,functioning
5) abjure, abnegateAnswer – 4)
Explanation: preceded ,functioning
preceded – come before (something) in time.
functioning – work or operate in a proper or particular way.