Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Fill in the blanks, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- There was in fact no immediate recession in the United Kingdom following the Brexit vote;____________, there was not even a slowdown in growth.
4) admittedlyAnswer – 3)
Explanation: indeed – used to emphasize a statement or response confirming something already suggested.
- The Labour opposition under Jeremy Corbyn officially opposes Brexit but seems to derive____________satisfaction from the fact that it is proceeding.
4) sinewyAnswer – 1)
Explanation: peculiar – different to what is normal or expected; strange.
- Some argue that if the government adopted a more____________negotiating strategy the damage would be less.
2) enduring3) coherent
4) legitimatelyAnswer – 3)
Explanation: coherent – (of an argument, theory, or policy) logical and consistent.
- It took time to realize that there would be no smooth break with the EU and that negotiations would not be____________up in two years.
3) literally4) wrappedAnswer – 4)
Explanation: wrapped – cover or enclose in paper or soft material.
- Feeding the world efficiently will not be easy, and____________such as climate change, violent conflict, and the availability of fresh water will complicate it further.
4) intangiblesAnswer – 4)
Explanation: intangibles – unable to be touched; not having physical presence.
- one of the most powerful methods for increasing yields sustainably will come from____________what is already in the ground.
4) disadvantageAnswer – 1)
Explanation: leveraging – use borrowed capital for (an investment), expecting the profits made to be greater than the interest payable.
- At Auburn University, for example, I am part of a research team that tests the effects of soil microbes on the growth and____________of corn and cotton plants.
4) resilienceAnswer – 4)
Explanation: resilience – the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.
- It is hard to overemphasize the benefits of microbial soil treatment for agricultural productivity, especially in the developing world, where increasing crop____________is a matter of survival for smallholder farms.
4) smallholderAnswer – 4)
Explanation: yields – produce or provide (a natural, agricultural, or industrial product).
- My own work on soil microbes at Auburn led to the____________of three US patents, with several agricultural companies pursuing the rights to commercialize products from the technology.
3) contagious4) contriveAnswer – 2)
Explanation: issuance – the action of supplying or distributing something, especially for official purposes.
- Solutions____________from beneficial microbes will be key to these innovations.
4) conceiveAnswer – 3)
Explanation: derived – obtain something from (a specified source).