Egypt ,Japan ,Senegal Ukraine,and Uruguay are elected as the non permanent members by the UN General Assembly to serve on the security council.It’s a two year term from 1st January 2016 to December 31, 2017.
The non-permanent members that will remain on the Council until the end of 2016 :
Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand, Spain and Venezuela
The seats available for the election in 2015 :
African Group – 2 seats
Asia – Pacific Group -1 Seat
Latin America and Caribbean States Group – 1 seat
Eastern European Group – 1 seat
Current Holders of the Seats in the Group:
African Group – Chad and Nigeria
Asia – Pacific Group – Jordan
Latin America and Caribbean States Group – Chile
Eastern European Group – Lithuania
The western European and other groups is not taking part in the election this year as their seats are up for every even calendar year.
Current seat holders of The Western European and Others Group – New Zealand and Spain
The five permanent Council members :
China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
(These five permanent members utilizes the veto power)
India has led the charge among developing nations to press for reform of the Security Council to make it more representative and in line with the realities of the 21st century.
Functions of UNSC
Under the United Nations Charter, the functions and powers of the Security Council are:
- Primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security.
- To investigate any dispute or situation which might lead to international friction
- To recommend methods of adjusting such disputes or the terms of settlement
- To impose sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security.
- The admission of new Members to the United Nations.
- Security Council also recommends to the General Assembly the appointment of the Secretary-General
- It elects the judges of the International Court of Justice.