The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched the National Electoral Roll Purification (NERP) programme across the country to correct errors in electoral rolls and enrolment of all eligible citizens, among other things.
NERP – 2016:-
NREP 2016 will ensure single electoral register entry for every eligible elector with unique Elector Photo Identity Card (EPIC) number, removal of all absent, shifted or dead electors’ entries and repeat entries. The NERP is formulated in view of
- Improving Health of ERs by-inclusion of all eligible citizens in mission mode; ERs to be Free from errors.
- Single ER entry for every eligible elector with unique Elector Photo Identity Card (EPIC) number.
- Removal of all Absent (A)/ Shifted (S)/ Dead (D) electors’ entries and Repeat Entries (REs) and ensuring Photo Electoral Rolls (PERs) with good quality correct images
- Standardization of Sections, PS boundaries & Location and improved PS map by- Optimization of part boundaries with Standardization of sections using GIS technology.
- Relocation of PS with in Part or in adjacent parts and Improved PS Map with part map, PS building image and dimensioned PS room drawing with Basic Minimum facilities(BMF) details.
- Poor quality and black and white images are proposed to be replaced by the District Election Officers (DEOs) through deployment of sufficient number of digital cameras.
- All means has been made to provide the information electronically on National Voters Service Portal (NVSP).
ECI has launched the intensive field implementation phase of NERP 2016 which would culminate well before the next draft publication of Electoral Rolls for annual summary revision with January 1, 2017.
It is recommended that all stakeholders such as political parties, NGOs, village authority, town/ward authority and general voters are requested to extend utmost co-operation to the District Election.
On the next step towards modernization, Geographic Information System (GIS) would be used to standardize sections, polling station boundaries and locations. ECI expressed that the progress of the project would be compiled and periodically shared with the media in a structured and systematic manner.
About Election Commission of India:-
- The Election Commission of India is an constitutional autonomous authority which is solely responsible for administering election processes to Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, state legislatures, and the offices of the President and Vice President in India.
- The Election Commission operates under the authority of Constitution, and subsequently enacted Representation of the People Act.
- It was formed in 25 January, 1950 which is now celebrated as National Voters Day and its headquarters is instituted in New Delhi.
- Currently Chief Election Commissioner of India is Syed Nasim Ahmad Zaidi.
- The motto of the ECI of the year is No Voter to be left behind.