A few inventions have become integrated with our daily lives in such a way that we just cannot think of doing away with them. Those times have gone when we used to wait for letters for days to hear from our loved ones or receive an appointment letter for a job!
Today, sending or receiving every letter is just a click away with the invention of Electronic mail in 1972. Kudos to 74 year old, Mr. Tomlinson Ray who has now left us with this incredible technology! People like him leave the world leaving their legacy behind. They bring the real difference to make the world a better place to live.
- Who is he? : A Technology Pioneer who picked @ symbol for addresses.
- Credited for sending the first e-mail and developing such technology for internet’s predecessor ARPANET.
- Born : Amsterdam
- Education: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and MIT during 1960s
- Worked at research and development company Bolt Beranek and Newman
- Raytheon BBN Technologies – when he made his email breakthrough.
- Included in the Internet Hall of Fame in 2012
- George R. Stibitz Computer Pioneer Award from the American Computer Museum in 2000
- Webby Award from the International Academy of Digital Arts and Science
- An Innovation award from Discover magazine
- The Eduard-Rhein Cultural Award
- He lived in Lincoln, Massachusetts where he raised miniature sheep