In a clean sweep, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) led by Arvind Kejriwal has defeated the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress Party by recorded a historical victory, securing 67 of the 70 seats in the Delhi assembly elections. The party has a win percentage of more than 90, a feat achieved only twice before in Sikkim and Bihar.
This victory has created many FIRSTS. They are,
- Highest tally ever in Delhi.
- BJP reduced to one digit.
- First time a party has got more than 50 seats.
- Non-Congress and Non-BJP in power.
- Congress duck in any poll.
The AAP polled 54% of the total votes while the BJP got 32.4% and the Congress 9.4%. Kejriwal will take oath as chief minister on 14 February at the Ramlila Ground, New Delhi.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Aam Aadmi Party was founded in November 2012 with the ideology of Swaraj and Anti-Corruption.
- The meaning of Aam Aadmi Party is Common Man’s Party.
- The Newspaper run by the party is Aap ki Kranti.
- Arvind kejriwal worked for the Indian Revenue Service as a Joint Commissioner in the Income Tax Department.
- In 2006, Kejriwal was conferred with the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Emergent Leadership.