The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has issued a Request of Proposal (RFP) for construction of 6 AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) fitted Conventional Submarines named Project 75 (India) [P-75(I)] for the Indian Navy. The estimated cost of the project is over INR 40,000 Crore.
- It is the 1st Acquisition programme under the Strategic Partnership Model (SP Model), and is a major initiative towards ‘Make in India’.
- The Indian Applicant Companies who have been shortlisted for the project are Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) & Larsen & Toubro (L&T).
- They will collaborate with 5 Foreign Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) – Naval Group-France, TKMS-Germany, ROE-Russia, Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Co Ltd-South Korea & Navantia-Spain for the construction of submarines.
- The Foreign OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) will be the technology partner in the SP Model.
i.It proposes indigenous construction of 6 modern conventional submarines with modern equipment, weapons & sensors, Fuel-Cell based Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system, advanced torpedoes, modern missiles and latest countermeasure systems.
- Apart from construction, it also includes associated shore support, Engineering Support Package, training and spares package.
- Collaboration with Foreign OEMs will help in achieving high levels of indigenization, and Transfer of Technology (ToT) for various technologies.
ii.The project intends to boost the indigenous design, construction capability, and to bring the latest submarine design and technologies to India.
- It aims to make India as the global hub for submarine design and production and also to serve the future needs of the Indian Armed Forces.
iii.Project 75 (I) was approved in 2007 as part of the Indian Navy’s 30-year Plan for Indigenous Submarine construction.
- Indian Navy planned to acquire 24 new submarines (including 6 nuclear attack submarines) to boost its underwater fighting capability under a 30-year programme that will end in 2030.
Recent Related News:
On March 10 2021, DRDO achieved the development of Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) for Submarines by providing the land-based prototype.
About Ministry of Defence
Union Minister – Raj Nath Singh (Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State – Ajay Bhatt (Nainital-Udhamsingh Nagar, Uttarakhand)