AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 21 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On 21st May 2018, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) commissioned the Bastariya Battalion in Bastar district of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Chhattisgarh
In order to improve combat capabilities in Naxal affected Bastar district the CRPF decided to include local representation in a special unit. The special unit was numbered as 241 and named as ‘Bastariya Battalion’. All the candidates have been selected from 4 highly Naxal affected districts of Chhattisgarh: Bijapur, Dantewada, Narayanpur and Sukma. The Bastariya Battalion consists of 739 local tribal youths. In this battalion, representation of 33 % female candidates is maintained as per policy of the government. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh attended the passing out parade of recruits which consisted of 198 women combatants, at the CRPF training centre at Ambikapur.
- On 19th May 2018, Haryana Chief Minister Mr Manohar Lal Khattar said that, ‘Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’, developed for the safety of girl students will be launched in _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Haryana
On 19th May 2018, Haryana Chief Minister Mr Manohar Lal Khattar said that, ‘Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’, developed for the safety of girl students will be launched in Haryana.
- On May 21, 2018, State run EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Limited ) has announced that it has distributed over 30 crore LED bulbs across the country under government’s UJALA scheme. What does “U” represent in UJALA?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Unnat
UJALA – Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All
The UJALA scheme was launched by the Prime Minister of India inJanuary 2015 with an aim to distribute energy efficient LED lightbulbs and reduce carbon emission by 33 to 35 percent within 2030. India’s share in the global LED market has increased to 12 per cent from a mere 0.1 per cent, with the penetration of LED in the domestic market rising to 10 per centfrom 0.4 per cent. The annual LED domestic production increased from 30 lakh bulbs to over 6 crore bulbs, simultaneously creating 60,000 jobs. With this scheme EESL has avoided more than 7500MW generation of extra electricity resulting in drop of price of LED bulbs.
- On May 21, 2018 , IIT-Kanpur has set up India’s first advisory Centre for Energy Regulation (CER) with the help of government of ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.United Kingdom
It has been an initiative of the Department of Industrial and Management Engineering of IIT –Kanpur . The activities of CER are funded by the Department of International Development (DfId), Government of United Kingdom(UK). The activities includes research and development regarding issues like growth of Indian Economy, energy efficiency , energy demand etc. It’s main focus is around the policy and regulatory changes in the power and energy sector.
- On May 21, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Kishanganga Hydroelectric project in Jammu & Kashmir and laid the foundation to the Pakal Dam in which state?
3.Jammu & Kashmir
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Jammu & Kashmir
It is located in theBandipora District of Jammu & Kashmir. The capacity of this project is 330MW. The annual generation of the project is 1712.96 MU. The cost of the project isRs. 5882 crore. The Project was handed over toNHPC for execution by the State Government after an MoU was signed between J&K Govt. and Ministry of Power, Govt of India in July 2000.
- On May 21, 2018, the Uttar Pradesh Institute of Design(UPID) launched ____ mobile app to help weavers in the state to market their products and come up with new design ideas?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.UPID
The mobile app will be called UPID app. It will provide better market linkages and new designs that will help the demand of art grow and notification will be sent via email. The app will send alerts of any upcoming Shilpa Mela (craft fairs) in the state.
iv. Information regarding the 11 registered products of the Varanasi division will be available.
- On 21st May 2018, the all-women crew of the Indian Navy on board ____ returned from expedition “Navika Sagar Parikrama” and landed at Mandovi in Goa?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.INSV Tarini
This is the first ever Indian female crew to navigate the world. The circumnavigation was done in 254 days. The circumnavigation was started on 10th September 2017. The all-woman crew was led by Lieutenant Commander Vartika Joshi. Other crew members are: Lt-Commanders Pratibha Jamwal and Swati P, and Lieutenants Aishwarya Boddapati, S Vijaya Devi and Payal Gupta.
- Where was the 26th BASIC Ministerial meeting of Environment Ministers held on 20th May 2018?
1.Johannesburg, South Africa
2.Durban, South Africa
3.New Delhi, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Durban, South Africa
Brazil, South Africa, India and China are termed as the BASIC countries. Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr Harsh Vardhan participated in the meeting on behalf of India. The meeting was chaired by South Africa’s Minister of Environmental Affairs Edna Molewa. The meeting was attended by environment ministers of BASIC countries and Michal Kurtyka of Poland, who will be the next president of Conference of Parties (COP-24).
- On May 21, 2018, an emergency summit of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) was held in ____?
3.Riyadh, South Africa
4.Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Istanbul, Turkey
It is the second largest inter-governmental organizationafter the UN. It is an organization of the muslim majority countries but India is not a part of it. It was founded in 1969and is headquartered in Jeddah , Saudi Arabia. It has 57 member states among them 47 Muslim majority nations. It has permanent delegation to United Nations and European Union. Official languages spoken are Arabic, English and French.
- On May 21, 2018, which bank extended $300 million loan to EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Limited) to scale up energy efficiency program?
1.International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
2.International Monetary Fund (IMF)
4.African Development Bank
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
The Aim is to avoid lifetime greenhouse emissions of 170 million tonnesof CO2 and 10GW of additional generation capacity. This would be over 50 percent of the National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency target of 19.6 GWindicated in India’s Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Accord. This will include creating sustainable markets for LED lights, energy efficient ceiling fans, facilitating well-structured and scalable investments in public street lighting, developing sustainable business models ,super-efficient air conditioning, agricultural water pumping systems and strengthening the institutional capacity of EESL.
- India’s GDP for January-March 2017-18 has been expected at ____ by rating agency ICRA?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.7.4 %
ICRA expects GDP growth in January-March 2017-18 at 7.4 % due to good rabi crop harvest and corporate earnings. It was 7.2 per cent in the third quarter. The Central Statistics Office (CSO) will release the GDP estimate for the fourth quarter (Q4) of fiscal 2017-18 and provisional annual estimates for the year 2017-18 on 31st May 2018.
- On May 21, 2018, Bank Note Paper Mill India (BNPM) received environment clearance (EC) from Environment Ministry to increase production of bank note paper from 12,000 tonnes per annum (TPA) to ____ at its Mysuru unit in Karnataka?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.16,000 TPA
This environment clearance (EC) is subject to compliance of certain conditions like developing greenbelt in 33 % of the project area. BNPM is a joint venture between Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran (BRBNMPL) and Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India (SPMCIL).
- On May 21, 2018, which singer was awarded the Banga Bibhushan by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at an event in Kolkata?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Asha Bhosle
Writer Samaresh Majumdar, Bengali superstar Prosenjit Chatterjee and Justice (retd) Shyamal Kumar Sen were also awarded the Banga Bibhusan. Footballer Subrata Bhattacharya was presented the Banga Bhushan. Banga Bibhushan is the highest civilian award of West Bengal. Banga Bibhushan and Banga Bhushan were instituted by Mamata Banerjee in 2011, to honour the services of popular personalities in various fields.
- Shivangi Pathak has became the youngest Indian woman to scale Mount Everest. Which state does she belong to?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Haryana
This expedition was conducted by Seven Summits Treks. Along with herJavier Camacho (Spain) and Jangbu Sherpa has also climbed the Mt. Everest. Others involved in the expedition were Ngima Dorchi Sherpa, Raj Kumar Tamang, Pasang Tenji Sherpa, Dorchi Sherpa, Dawa Sherpa and Kami Sherpa .
- Mr. Samaresh Parida and Mr. N Jambunathan were appointed independent directors on the board of which bank on 21 May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.IDBI Bank
Mr. Samaresh Parida and Mr. N Jambunathan were appointed to the board. Mr. Parida was a former consultant and Mr.Jambunathan was the former Deputy Managing Director of SBI. The former Directors who resigned were : Mr. Ninad Karpe and Mr. S Ravi. They are alleged to have had a connection in a Rs.600 crore NPA case filed by CBI.
- Name the satellite launched by China to explore dark side of Moon, on 21st May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Queqiao
The relay satellite Queqiao has been designed to set a communication link between earth and a planned lunar probe that will explore the dark side of the moon. Queqiao was launched on a Long March-4C rocket from Xichang launch center, China. Queqiao is also known as Magpie Bridge. It will settle in an orbit nearly 455,000 km (282,555 miles) from earth. It will be the world’s first communication satellite operating there.
- On May 21,2018, India successfully test fired the Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Launch pad 3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR)at Chandipur, Odisha. BrahMos Aerospace is a joint venture between India and which country?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Russia
BrahMos variants can be launched from land, air, sea and under water . Currently the Army is equipped with three regiments of Block111 version of BrahMos missile. The air launch version and the submarine launch version of the missile system are in progress. The last land-based trial was conducted from the same base on March 11, 2017 successfully.
- Where have scientists discovered a fossilised body piece of an extinct class of marine animal named Cystoidea or cystoids dating back to 400 million years ago?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.China
The fossil dates back to 400 million years back. It was found out in Tongzi County. The cystoids are echinoderms or marine invertebrates. They lived in the Pleozoic era, the Ordovician and Silurian periods. They are said to have featured an egg-shaped body. They became extinct during the Devonian period.
- Scientists from Australian National University (ANU) have discovered a ____ year old human cremation site along with pottery from the 12th or 13th century?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.4000
Catherine Frieman from Australian National University (ANU) excavated an ancient barrow near the town Looe in South East Cornwall. Other items like Cornish Bronze Age pottery, flint tools and high-quality hammer stones were also found. A round house from 500 BC was also excavated. The analysis of soil, pollen, flint and other samples is in progress.
- On May 21,2018 which football player won the European Golden Shoe for a fifth time?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Lionel Messi
On May 21,2018 Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has won the European Golden Shoe for a fifth time. He won the award with 34 goals, for a total of 68 points during the 2017-2018 season. Four-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo finished ninth in the rankings after scoring 26 goals for Real Madrid in La Liga.
- Name the tennis player who won the Italian Open in Rome, Italy, on 20th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal defeated Alexander Zverev 6-1 1-6 6-3 in the final of the Italian Open. This is Rafael Nadal’s eighth Italian Open title. Through this victory Rafael Nadal will regain his No. 1 ranking from Roger Federer.
- On 21st May 2018, ____ won the 5th Women’s Asian Champions Trophy, at the Sunrise Stadium, Donghae City, South Korea?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.South Korea
Indian Women’s Hockey Team was defeated by host South Korea 0-1 in the Final of the 5th Women’s Asian Champions Trophy. India was the Defending Champion. South Korea has won the title for the third time. India finished runners-up for the second time.
- Popular ____ novelist Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani,78 passed away in California,U.S due to heart stroke?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Telegu
Popular Telugu novelist Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani,78 passed away in California,U.S due to heart stroke. She belongs to Kaza village in Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh. Some of her most popular works include Aagamana, Aathmeeyulu, Abhijata, Secretary, Jeevana Tarangalu and Kalala Kougili. Many of her literary works have been adapted to film and TV screenplays. Director Trivikram Srinivas’ A… Aa is based on Sulochana Rani’s novel Meena.
- When was the World Bee Day 2018, which is also the first World Bee Day celebrated?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.May 20
Every year on this day, the attention of the global public will be drawn to the importance of preserving bees and other pollinators. People should take resolution to preserve and protect them. Slovenia’s northern Alpin village of Zirovnica was the home town of the 18th-century Slovenian beekeeping pioneer Anton Jansa, whose date of birth, May 20, had chosen for World Bee Day.
- When was Anti Terrorism Day celebrated in India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.May 21
Martyrdom of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi is observed as Anti Terrorism Day every year on 21st May in India. This day aims to create awareness on the ongoing terrorist activities and precautions that are need to be taken to prevent terrorism acts. This day also aims to promote unity, peace and harmony throughout India. Every year, a two minutes silence is observed throughout India to mourn for the loss of Rajiv Gandhi and other martyrs.
- When was the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.May 21
In 2002, the UN General Assembly declared May 21 as the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development. This day provides an opportunity to improve our understanding of cultural diversity and to work for the goals of the UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions adopted on 20th October 2005.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the President of Hockey India that is headquartered in New Delhi?Mr. Rajinder Singh
- Where is Deepor beel bird sanctuary located?Assam
- What is the tag line of IDBI Bank?Aao Sochein Bada. (Lets think Bigger)
- Which state houses the Gorumara National Park?West Bengal
- Who is the Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) headquartered in New Delhi?Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar