AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 17 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On May 17, 2018, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh announced several development projects aggregating Rs 555 crore for the uplift and up-gradation of the border district of ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Tarn Taran
Tarn Taran district in Punjab is strategically located near the Indo-Pakistan border. Majority of the development projects (amounting to Rs. 370 crore) announced, are for improving road network and connectivity. Rs 60 crore has been set aside for the development of 779 schools while Rs 44 crore has been earmarked for development works in various mandis. Rs 40 crore will be spent for strengthening of health facilities in the district and Rs 12 crore for establishing government degree college.
- On May 19, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of 14.2-km-long tunnel under the Zojila Pass in which state?
4.Jammu & Kashmir
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Jammu & Kashmir
This tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity from Baltal in Kashmir to Minamarg near Gumri in Ladakh. Located at a height of above 11000 feet, Zojila Pass is the gateway to Ladkah region and connects Kargil and Leh with Srinagar. However, during winters, it remains inaccessible due to heavy snowfall. The tunnel will have immense utility for tourists. It also has a strategic significance as it will facilitate quick mobilisation of troops in case of any incursion from across the border. The project will be executed by IL & FS, which has experience of infrastructure development in such tough terrain.
- On May 16, 2018, Telangana Chief Minister _____ announced setting up of a new Pay Revision Commission (PRC) for government employees?
3.K Chandrashekar Rao
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.K Chandrashekar Rao
Mr. Rao announced that Telangana Permanent Transfer policy will be brought into force. Telangana Government will be giving special allowances to employees working in remote areas. Mr. Rao added that all benefits accruing to Retired Employees will be sanctioned 100% and implemented by the day an employee retires. He also announced that women employees will be given special leave of five days and Teachers in the state will get good pay revision in coming days.
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, has formed how many teams to take up cleaning of beaches, lakes and river fronts across India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.19
The 19 teams comprise senior officers of environment ministry, State Pollution Control Boards, college of fisheries located along the coastal stretches, district administration and other educational/research institutions. Eco-club schools, which are being provided assistance from Environment Ministry under the National Green Corps programme will also be a part of the teams. The 19 teams will undertake cleaning up of around 24 beaches in 9 coastal states and river fronts in 24 identified polluted stretches in 19 states. In addition to this, a special cleanliness drives will be carried out at Yamuna riverfront in Delhi and certain lakes and water bodies.
- On 17th May, The Ministry of Housing and Urban affairs has announced that Smart Cities Mission – 1,333 projects worth _____ has been completed or is under implementation?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs.50,626 crore
Smart Cities Mission – 1,333 projects worth Rs.50,626 crores completed or under implementation. Overall projects worth Rs.2,03,979 croresfor all 99 smart cities across the country.Out of which as far, 91 of them have already incorporated SPVs (Special Purpose Vehicles). 9 Smart Cities viz.Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bhopal, Pune, Kakinada, Surat & Nagpur have already established Integrated City Command and Control Centres (ICCC). Smart Road projects have been completed in 4 cities worth Rs.228 crores. Smart Solar projects and Smart Water projects in 6 cities have been completed. Smart Waste Water projects in 46 cities have been completed/under implementation/ tendering.
- On 17th May, the Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu launched an Intellectual Property Mascot named _____ at a conference of National Intellectual Property Rights Policy held in New Delhi?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.IP NANI
On 17th May, the Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu launched an Intellectual Property Mascot named IP NANI at a conference of National Intellectual Property Rights Policy held in New Delhi. Mascot IP Nani is a tech-savvy grandmother who helps in combating IP crimes with the help of her grandson “Chhotu” aka Aditya. The IP mascot will spread awareness about the importance of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) among people, especially children, in an interesting manner.
- On 17th May 2018, the Union Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) sanctioned two projects worth ____ to enhance tourism in Tripura?
1.Rs 48 crore
2.Rs 50 crore
3.Rs 75 crore
4.Rs 25 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs 48 crore
The funds will be utilised to repair and develop two roads that link two tourism spots – Chabimura and Tirthamuk – at Amarpur sub-division in Gomati district. Chabimura is known for its rock carvings. Tirthamukh is the confluence of Raima and Sarma rivers. It is considered a sacred spot. The projects were approved at a meeting of the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme held in New Delhi recently.
- On 17th May 2018, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, ____ addressed the National Conference of Fisheries Ministers of Coastal states, in New Delhi?
1.Radha Mohan Singh
3.Narendra Singh Tomar
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Radha Mohan Singh
Radha Mohan Singh said that, during the last decade, India has attained first position with 14% average annual growth in the export of fish & fishery products. He added that, Fish production in India has also grown by 27% in 2014-18 compared to 2010-14. He said that, the government has decided to promote deep sea fishing and has launched a sub-component ‘Assistance for Deep Sea Fishing’ under the Blue Revolution. As per this scheme, self-help groups of traditional fishermen are given 50 per cent of the vessel cost i.e. the central assistance of Rs 40 lakh for vessel costing up to Rs 80 lakh.
- On 16th May, which country became the second country after United States to inaugurate its embassy in Jerusalem?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Guatemala
In a ceremony held during the visit of the president of Guatemala , the Prime Minister of Israel expressed his content on the growing friendship of the three countries viz. Israel, Guatemala and US. Morales stated that this embassy would be beneficial for Guatemalans and it signifies strong link between the two nations. Talks of trilateral relationships are on among the three countries. Apart from this, other Latin Americancountries like Paraguay and Honduras are next on opening their embassies in Jerusalem in the next few weeks as per reports.
- Where was 15th meeting of the Shanghai Corporation Organization (SCO) held on 17th May, 2018?
4.New Delhi, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sanya, China
The meeting will focus on showcasing India’s willingness to participate and strengthen cultural cooperation with all the other participants including the SCO member countries. India became full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on 9thJune, 2017 during the SCO Heads of State Summit in Astana, Kazakhstan. India has opened a SCO Division in MEA and has appointed a National Coordinator and Permanent Representative to SCO (Shri Bandaru Wilsonbabu).
- Smaller towns are driving growth for SBI Cards (a subsidiary of State Bank of India) which has been increasing its card numbers at a CAGR of 40%. What does “C” represent in CAGR?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Compounded
In terms of spending, Cardholders in centres outside the top 10 cities account for 45% of spending. Primary reason behind this surge is the penetration of mobile-phone internet which accounts for 20% of spending from smaller towns. SBI cards, the second-largest credit card issuer after HDFC Bank currently holds 16% market share (in terms of number of cards) and is the only stand-alone credit card company in India.
- Which stock exchange has become the first Indian exchange to be recognised as a designated offshore securities market (DOSM) by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)?
1.National Stock Exchange of India (NSE)
2.Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
3.Calcutta Stock Exchange
4.Multi Commodity Exchange of India
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
The DOSM status eases the trades by U.S. investors in India as it allows sale of securities to U.S. investors through the trading venue of BSE without registration of such securities with the U.S. SEC. In addition this, DOSM recognition also enhances the attractiveness of Indian Depository Receipts (IDRs) amongst US investors. Few exchanges across the world that have the DOSM recognition are London Stock Exchange, Bourse de Luxembourg, Tokyo Stock Exchange and Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Which city has emerged as the cleanest Indian city in Government’s Swachh Survekshan 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Indore
Last year’s cleanliness survey (Swachh Survekshan 2017) was limited to 434 cities. Swachh Survekshan 2018 was the first pan Indian exercise to assess cleanliness in urban India as it covered 4203 cities. Under Swachh Survekshan 2018, assessment was carried out from January 4 to March 10, 2018. It is to be noted that this year’s Swachh Survekshan was different as compared to previous surveys, as higher weightage was assigned to the feedback from citizens based on their daily experience.
- On 15th May 2018, Chennaiyin FC’s head coach _____ was presented with a Special Achievement Award by England’s League Managers Association (LMA) at LMA’s 26th Annual Awards function in London?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.John Gregory
John Gregory is 64 years old. He was presented the Special Achievement Award for becoming the first Englishman to win the Indian Super League (ISL). Chennaiyin FC had defeated Bengaluru FC in the ISL final in March 2018 and won the trophy. John Gregory has signed a one-year extension with Chennaiyin FC. He received the award from former Manchester United and Everton manager and current West Ham United head coach David Moyes. The LMA is a body in England for English coaches and managers in English football. It hosts an award event every year to honour the best performing coaches in English football every season.
- Who was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Karnataka on May 17, 2018?
2.B S Yeddyurappa
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.B S Yeddyurappa
BJP, which emerged as the single largest party post state assembly elections, was invited by Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala to form government. BJP has secured 104 seats in the 224-member Karnataka assembly and is thus short of majority. On the other side, Congress, which won 78 seats in the elections, and JD(S) which has 37 seats, have formed a post-poll alliance, thereby claiming 115 seats, which is above the simple majority mark. However, Karnataka Governor has given BJP, 15 days to prove its strength on the floor of the House.
- On 17th May, the former CEO of Allahabad Bank ____ was moved out of the board and loses all her executive powers?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Usha Ananthasubramanian
On 17th May, The former CEO of Allahabad Bank Mrs. Usha Ananthasubramanian was moved out of the board and loses all her executive powers. This is in lieu of Punjab National Bank – Nirav Modi fraud investigation where she was found guilty by the CBI. She had previously been in the board of PNB two times. Apart from her other officials of PNB namely KV Brahmaji Rao and Sanjiv Sharan has also been accussed.
- On 16th May 2018, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC) said that ___ will join USIBC as Managing Director of India operations?
4.Lalith Kumar Jain
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ambika Sharma
Ambika Sharma will oversee and guide USIBC’s growth strategy in India through its offices in New Delhi and Mumbai. She will join USIBC as Managing Director of India operations on 15th June 2018. Earlier, she was Director General for International at the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- On 15th May 2018, who was elected as a member of the Board of Commissioners of Multnomah County in Oregon, making her the first South Asian to be elected in Oregon?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Susheela Jayapal
Susheela Jayapal is 55 years old. She won the District 2 seat on the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners with 57 % of the vote. Pramila Jayapal is the first ever Indian American woman elected to the House of Representatives. Susheela Jayapal will represent North and Northeast Portland commissioner’s seat. She was born in India. She went to the United States when she was 16 years for higher studies. She was a litigator at law firms in San Francisco and Portland. Then she became the General Counsel at adidas America.
- On 16th May 2018, a new frog species named ____ was found in a small industrial region in coastal Karnataka?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Microhyla kodial
It is a greyish brownfrog and is just 2 cm in length. A thick olive-green band on its head, less-prominent dark green bands on the rest of its body and has avery distinct loud long calls very different from a regular frog. It is closely related to southeast Asian frogs than Indian frogs and breeds during the monsoon. It is suspected to have come from the timber imported from Myanmar, Malayasia, Indonesia. The study has been published in the international journal Zootaxa on Tuesday 15th May.
- Where will the first National Para Games as part of National Games for able-bodied athletes be conducted under the Khelo India Scheme in June-July 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Bengaluru
This will be a multi-sport event for para-athletes which will see participation from various states. The tentative dates for the event are 28 June to 7 July 2018. The Paralympic Committee of India will be responsible for the technical conduct of the Games. The sports ministry will fund the games under the Khelo India Scheme. The Games will be held for both male and female para athletes aged between 16 to 40. Games will be conducted in 10 categories: para athletics, badminton, chess, blind judo, para powerlifting, shooting para sport, para swimming, table tennis, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair fencing.
- On 16th May 2018, which football team emerged as champions in the UEFA Europa League in Lyon, France?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Atletico Madrid
Atletico Madrid defeated Marseille 3-0 in the final of the UEFA Europa League. This is the third Europa League title for Atletico Madrid. Earlier, they had won the title in 2010 and 2012.
- On 17th May, The Tamil Nadu player Dhanapal Ganesh was replaced by ____ due to physical ailments in national camp?
3.Anupam S H
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Vineet Rai
This is in line with the upcoming Hero International Cup 2018 to be held at Mumbai Football Arena , Mumbai on June 1. Stephen Constantine’s men face Chinese Taipei in their first match. The tournament also features New Zealandand Kenya. India will be competing against South Africa, New Zealand, Chinese Taipei. Hero International Cup is held under AIFF .
- On 16th May 2018, a “Guidebook for Creating a Child Friendly and Protective Environment for Children in Contact with Railways’, was launched by ____, Chairman, Railway Board, at an event at the Habitat World, New Delhi?
2.P K Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ashwini Lohani
The Guidebook has been developed by National Commission for protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) along with Railway Children India. This document will be a framework to develop child friendly environment at all Railway Stations. Also, Information Education Communication (IEC) Materials on child protection for children in contact with Indian Railways was also launched. It was developed by NCPCR along with Indian Railways. Materials developed by “Save The Children” were also launched to create awareness among the people and stakeholders.
- What was the theme of ‘World Tele-communication and Information Society Day’ that was celebrated on 17th May 2018?
1.Enabling the positive use of Artificial Intelligence
2.Usage of Artificial Intelligence for positive growth
3.Artificial Intelligence powered telecommunication
4.Tele-communication and Information: contributes for a social growth
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Enabling the positive use of Artificial Intelligence
It is celebrated to raise the awareness of the impact of tele communication and technology and the Internet in the modern society and how this is a boon for inter communication among societies and economies to bring about the digital awareness and bridge the digital divide. The Theme for 2018 is : “Enabling the positive use of Artificial Intelligence “.This will focus on the potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to accelerate the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- When was International day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia 2018 themed “Alliances for Solidarity” celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.May 17
In 2004, May 17 was declared as International day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia to commemorate the decision to remove homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1990. This day is observed to draw the attention of policymakers, opinion leaders, social movements, public and media to the violence and discrimination experienced by LGBTI (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) people all over the world. The theme for International day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia 2018 is: “Alliances for Solidarity”.
- What was the theme of World Hypertension Day that was celebrated on 17th May 2018?
1.Know Your Numbers
2.Count your Numbers
3.Stay Hyper cool
4.What is your number
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Know Your Numbers
17 May is observed as World Hypertension Day (WHD) every year. This is an initiative of the World Hypertension League (WHL). World Hypertension Day was first observed in May 2005. This day is observed to promote public awareness of hypertension and to promote prevention and control of Hypertension. The theme for World Hypertension Day 2018 is: “Know Your Numbers”, with a goal of increasing high blood pressure (BP) awareness in all populations around the world.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the President of Paralympic Committee of India (PCI)?Rao Inderjit Singh
- Name the President and headquarters of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)?President – Rashesh Shah; Headquarters – New Delhi
- What is the tag line of Punjab National Bank?The Name you can bank upon
- Where is Bandipur National Park located?Karnataka
- Who is the President of Guatemala?Jimmy Morales