AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 14 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On May 14, 2018, Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan launched ____ aimed to train over 5.5 lakh workers in environment and forest sectors through 30 courses by 2021?
1.National Skill Development Programme (NSDP)
2.Green Skill Development Programme (GSDP)
3.Eco Skill Development Programme (ESDP)
4.Digitlal Skill Development Programme (DSDP)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Green Skill Development Programme (GSDP)
Under this programme 5.5 lakh individuals across India will be provided training in environment and forest sectors through 30 courses by 2021. Objective of GSDP is skilling the youth of India, especially dropouts and increasing the availability of skilled workforce. GSDP was launched last year as a pilot project in 10 districts of India. In the pilot project, 154 youths (mainly school dropouts) were trained as parataxonomists and biodiversity conservationists.
- Where was the First workshop on Ayushman Bharat Program held on May 14, 2018?
1.Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
2.Chennai, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
The workshop was addressed by Union Health Minister J P Nadda. A memorandum of understanding (MOU) was signed between Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir and Chandigarh during the course of this workshop. Ayushman Bharat Scheme was approved by the Union Cabinet on March 21, 2018 with budgetary support of Rs 10500 crore. Under this scheme, Government has set a target to set up 1.5 lakh wellness centres by 2022 to deliver comprehensive primary healthcare.Other component of this scheme is to provide insurance cover to most deprived Indian population.
- According to the ‘Clampdowns and Courage-South Asia Press Freedom Report 2017-18’, released recently by the UNESCO, which country witnessed the highest number of Internet shutdowns in 2017-18 among South Asian countries?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.India
In India, nearly half of the cases of Internet shutdown were experienced in Kashmir Valley. Over 10 instances of Internet being affected were witnessed in Rajasthan, while Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Punjab and Haryana were among states in which less than 10 cases of Internet shutdown were recorded. Five out of six biggest instances of Internet shutdown were recorded in India. The longest one was in Darjeeling in West Bengal wherein internet was shut down by authorities for 45-days due to political demonstration, protest and clashes by activists seeking a separate state. Among other Asian countries, Pakistan witnessed 12 instances while Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka reported just one instance of internet shutdown.
- The report titled ‘Impact of mortality and fertility transitions in Kerala on migration and its implications for state’s economy’ was compiled by a team led by noted demographer ____ of the Centre for Development Studies?
3.S. Irudaya Rajan
4.R Aravind Kumar
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.S. Irudaya Rajan
It has outlined that Kerala is currently experiencing an advanced demographic transition as the mortality and fertility levels have come down and so migration will play a critical role in shaping the future demographic scenario of the state. It is to be noted that Kerala was the first Indian state to achieve Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) below 25, in 1989, and then further reduced it to 10 in 2016. The fall in levels of mortality has also brought down fertility levels considerably and thus the combined effect has led to a decline in the natural growth rate of State’s population.
- Where is the first edition of the International Children’s Film Festival of Kerala held from 14th to 26th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Thiruvananthapuram
Screenings at the festival are organised by the Kerala State Council for Child Welfare, Kerala State Chalachitra Academy, Kerala State Film Development Corporation, and the State Institute of Children’s Literature. Chairman of the organising committee is actor and MLA, Mukesh. More than 140 films, documentaries and short films will be screened in the festival. This will be an opportunity for children to view world class films.
- On 14th May 2018, Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways, Shipping, Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the upgraded 4-lane NH-15 from Amritsar to Bhatinda and NH-64 from Zirakpur to Bhatinda in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Punjab
He also laid the foundation stone of 2-laning with paved shoulders of the Munak-Jhakhal-Budhlana section of NH-144B in Punjab. The 175 kilometre NH-15 stretch was finished in 24 months costing Rs 2893 crore. This will benefit the commuters since the commuting time now is only two hours between Amritsar and Bhatinda. The Harike bypass on the NH will also reduce traffic and pollution in the Harike city. Three ROBs (Road over Bridge), five flyovers, 12 underpasses and 31 large junctions have been developed under the project. The 216 kilometre NH-64 stretch was finished in 24 months costing Rs 2264 crore. The NH will benefit tourists travelling to Bhatinda, Amritsar and Simla, since the travel time between Chandigarh and Bhatinda has been reduced to three hours.
- On 14th May 2018, Union Home Minister ____ chaired a meeting of the High Level Committee (HLC) for Central Assistance to Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Lakshadweep and Rajasthan?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rajnath Singh
The meeting was for Central Assistance to:
• Assam – affected by floods during 2017-18
• Himachal Pradesh – affected by floods/ landslides during 2017-18
• Sikkim – affected by floods/ landslides during 2017-18
• Lakshadweep – affected by cyclone Ockhi during 2017
• Rajasthan – affected by kharif drought during 2017
The High Level Committee (HLC) approved assistance of Rs 480.87 crore for Assam. It also approved assistance from NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) worth Rs 84.60 crore for Himachal Pradesh, Rs 67.40 crore for Sikkim, Rs 2.16 crore for Lakshadweep and Rs 526.14 crore for Rajasthan. The total assistance approved was Rs 1,161.17 crore.
- On 14th and 15th May 2018, where did the Head Quarter Western Air Command conduct a seminar on Humanitarian and Disaster relief (HADR)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Delhi
The seminar was held to focus on effective measures to manage HADR situations in North India. Representatives from Indian Air Force (IAF), NDMA (National Disaster Management Authority), NDRF (National Disaster Response Force, ITBP (Indo Tibetan Border Police), secretary level delegations from Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir took part in the seminar. Discussions were held on National Perspective on Disaster Management & Capability Building, Enhancement of disaster relief for the participating states and response procedure using IAF platforms.
- ____’s Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) has launched a Bharat Inclusion Initiative to develop knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurship in areas like financial inclusion, livelihood, education and health?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.IIM Ahmedabad
Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) at IIM Ahmedabad helps entrepreneurs to transform their ideas into businesses. The initiative aims to utilise nearly $25 million in the next 3-4 years in backing start-ups, utilising digital transformation in India, to develop access to services that were inaccessible for a large segment of Indians. CIIE will invest in seed and pre-Series-A start-ups through Bharat Inclusion Seed Fund. Its initial closing has been announced as $7.5 million. It is expected to make a final close at $15 million by July 2018.
- On May 13th, the agriculture secretary SK Pattanayak announced the inclusion of how many more wholesale mandis to the eNAM portal?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.200
Encouragement ofinter-mandi trade and transactions and improvement in quality is of utmost priorityOnce the system is fully operational more mandis will be linked to it. As of now 585 mandis of 14 states have been linked. These 14 states are Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarkhand. Through these procedure the government wants to ensure all the wholesale mandis are making use of the online auction and that would help in gradually shifting towards a full –fledged online trading platform for mandis within a state and even outside the state.
- With an aim to impart skill training and self-sufficiency the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has decided to set up a centre at ‘BHAROSA’ in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Hyderabad
It is a centre open 24×7 for distressed women and children seeking services related to health, medicine, legal , therapeutic counseling etc. It has support staff well equipped with gadgets and technical services that might help the victim. Since it’s inception it has helped 3560 victims out of which 2600 of them are victims of domestic violence.
- India and Peru signed an agreement for cooperation in which field at Lima, during Indian Vice President Venkiah Naidu’s visit to Peru?
3.New and Renewable Energy
4.Information and Technology
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.New and Renewable Energy
Objective of this agreement is to promote bilateral technical cooperation in new and renewable energy on the basis of mutual benefit, equality and reciprocity. It is to be noted that Peru is a founder member of the International Solar Alliance, launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the 2015 UN climate change conference in Paris.
- How many MoUs were signed between India and Panama by Indian Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and Panama President Juan Carlos Varela?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.2
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) for Exemption of Visa for Diplomatic, Official and Consular Passport Holders. A Work Plan for implementing the existing MoU between Union Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Agriculture Development of Panama for Cooperation in the Field of Agricultural Research and Education.
- On May 8, 2018, India and which country agreed to support each other’s candidature for the non-permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Guatemala
On May 8, 2018, India and Guatemala agreed to support each other’s candidature for the non-permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council(UNSC). Decision in this regard was taken after Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu held extensive talks with Guatemala President Jimmy Morales, Vice President Jafeth Cabrera and Parliament Speaker of Guatemala Alvaro Arzu Escobar in Guatemala city. It has been agreed that Guatemala will support India’s candidature for UNSC membership for 2021-22, while India will do so in 2031-32 for Guatemala.
- ICBC, a state-run Chinese bank has launched ICBC Credit Suisse India Market Fund, China’s first India-dedicated publicly offered investment fund. Expand ICBC?
1.Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
2.Innovation and Commerce Bank of China
3.Information and Civic Bank of China
4.Investment and Commerce Bank of China
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
The fund will invest in exchange-traded funds listed on more than 20 exchanges in Europe and the US that are based on the Indian market. ICBC is pitching this fund to investors stating that Indian market offers the best opportunity for Chinese investors due to the prospects of double-digit growth. Interestingly, this fund has been launched within a fortnight after the first ever informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping at Wuhan.
- Which country will host the upcoming 2018 BIMSTEC Summit (Bay of Bengal Initiative of Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation Summit)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Nepal
On 12th May , Nepal’s Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli announced that Nepal will be the host for the upcoming 2018 BIMSTEC Summit . This was announced during the bilateral talks between the Prime Minister of Nepal and India on commitment towards building the Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal initiative.
- As per data released by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Wholesale Price Index (WPI)-based inflation stood at ___ in the month of April 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.3.18 percent
WPI for April 2018 at 3.18 percent is higher as compared to 2.47 percent for the previous month. The rise can be attributed to increment in index of ‘Food Articles’ group which went up by 1.9 percent to 139.8 (provisional) from 137.2 (provisional) for the previous month. The increment was mainly on account of higher price of tea, fruits and vegetables, pork, paddy and maize. However, index of Non-Food Articles’ group declined by 0.9 percent to 119.1 (provisional) from 120.2 (provisional) for the previous month due to lower price of raw silk, floriculture, gaur seed and gingelly seed.
- On 14th May 2018, Department of Telecom (DoT) approved the merger of Telenor India with which firm?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Bharti Airtel
The Supreme Court had rejected DoT’s petition for security deposit of Rs 1,700 crore from the companies and ordered it to approve the merger. The guarantee included Rs 1,499 crore for one-time spectrum charge for the radio waves allocated to Airtel without auction, and more than Rs 200 crore for spectrum payment which is to be made by Telenor. Airtel will obtain an additional 43.4 MHz spectrum in the 1800 MHz band. Telenor India operates in 7 circles: Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Gujarat, UP (East), UP (West) and Assam.
- Scientists of ____ have progressed in the development of an environment-friendly propellant to power satellites and spacecraft?
1.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
2.Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
4.Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
The scientists are working to replace the conventional hydrazine rocket fuel with a greener propellant. The hydrazine rocket fuel is a highly toxic and carcinogenic chemical. Initial tests by scientists at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) have given expected results in the formulation and tests of a propellant blend based on hydroxylammonium nitrate (HAN). The LPSC team formulated the HAN-based monopropellant and performed various tests to study its characteristics. A monopropellant is a chemical propulsion fuel which does not need a separate oxidizer. It is used in satellite thrusters for orbital correction and orientation control.
- Who has replaced Rafael Nadal as world no. 1 in the men’s singles tennis ATP rankings published on May 14, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Roger Federer
Former world No. 1 Novak Djokovic slipped six places to 18th on account of second-round defeat in Madrid Masters. This is Djokovic’s lowest ranking since October 2006. The highest mover in the men’s charts is Russian player Denis Shapovalov who jumped 14 spots to a best ever 29th
ATP rankings as on May 14, 2018:
1 Roger Federer
2 Rafael Nadal
3 Alexander Zverev
4 Grigor Dimitrov
5 Marin Cilic
- The U-16 national football team of which country emerged as champions of the Four-Nation Tournament in Serbia, on 13th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.India
Indian U-16 national football team defeated Tajikistan 4-2 in the finals and became the champions. In the Four-Nation tournament, Indian U-16 team faced Serbia, Jordan, and Tajikistan. The Four-Nation tournament was hosted by Serbia.
- Name the tennis player who topped the women’s singles tennis, WTA rankings published on May 14, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Simona Halep
On May 12, 2018, Petra Kvitova won the Madrid Open after beating Kiki Bertens. In the past, Kvitova had won Madrid in 2011 and 2015 as well. Romania’s Simona Halep topped the WTA rankings.
WTA rankings as of May 14, 2018:
1 Simona Halep
2 Caroline Wozniacki
3 Garbine Muguruza
4 Elina Svitolina
5 Karolina Pliskova
- On 12th May, renowned wildlife photographer ____ unveiled her book ‘Hidden India’ in New Delhi?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Latika Nath
On 12th May, renowned wildlife photographer Latika Nath unveiled her book ‘Hidden India’ in New Delhi. ‘Hidden India’ is a coffee table book that comprises of all the photographs of some of her “closest wildlife encounters” as per a statement. The proceeds from this book will go to the Wildlife SOS Elephant Conservation and Care Centre which would promote protection of Indian Elephants.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan has said that the Botanic Garden of Indian Republic (BGIR) of ____, will be developed as one of the most distinct botanic gardens with modern-day landscape?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Noida
Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that the Garden is being developed and upgraded with the objectives of collection of plant species, research, training, environment education, public awareness, aesthetics and entertainment through the protection of plant biodiversity. He added that this is also being done with a view to make the Botanic Garden, Noida, a centre of excellence in the preservation of (Rare, Endangered and Threatened(RET) and local plant species. Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that another objective is the creation of public awareness through education on plant biodiversity and its need.
- Principal Controller of Defence Accounts(Pensions), ____ has started issuance of electronic-Pension Payment Orders (e-PPOs) to the pensioners?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Allahabad
Principal Controller of Defence Accounts(Pensions), Allahabad has startedissuance of electronic-Pension Payment Orders (e-PPOs) to the pensioners along with their Pension Disbursement Agencies viz., Banks, Defence Pension Disbursement Offices, Post Offices, etc. What began in the first phase, for all Commissioned Officers and JCOs/ORs of Armed Forces from the month of October 2017, has now been extended to all defence pensioners including defence civilians. Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (Pensions), Allahabad is the sole agency under Ministry of Defence which sanctions Pensions for the Defence Services viz., Army, Coast Guard, Defence Research and Development Organization,General Reserve Engineer Force, Border Roads Organization, Military Engineering Services and other Defence organisations including Defence Account Department and Defence Civilians.
- On 12th May 2018, Mansoor Ahmed, who passed away at a hospital in Karachi, Pakistan, was related to which sport?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Hockey
Mansoor Ahmed had been suffering for weeks from complications stemming from a pacemaker and stents implanted in his heart, and had reached out to India for help in securing a heart transplant. Ahmed has been a sporting icon in Pakistan since helping the country win the 1994 World Cup in Sydney with his penalty stroke save against the Netherlands in the final.
- Name the musician and singer who worked for Hindu-Muslim unity in South Africa, has passed away in 12th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ramesh Hassan
Ramesh Hassan had changed his Muslim birth name to foster communal harmony in the country through his music. He considered the face of Hindu-Muslim unity in South Africa, died of heart attack. He had changed his Muslim birth name of Hassan Saib to Ramesh Hassan because he wanted to foster harmony between Hindus and Muslims living in South Africa through music.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Prime Minister of Peru?Mr. Cesar Villanueva Bardales
- Where is Dhruv Pandove Cricket Stadium located?Punjab
- Name the Director General and headquarters of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF)?Headquarters – New Delhi, Director General – Sanjay Kumar
- Where is the headquarters of Bay of Bengal Initiative of Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation Summit (BIMSTEC)?Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Where is Silent Valley National Park located?Kerala