AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 12 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs May 12 2018
- On 11th May 2018, which State Government signed a MoU with United Kingdom for setting up of bio-gas and bio- Compressed natural gas (CNG) plants in the state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Punjab
Parties to the MoU are Punjab Bureau of Industrial Promotion (PBIP), Punjab Energy Development Agency (PEDA) and Rika Biofuels Development Ltd UK, while Punjab Infrastructure Development Board (PIDB) will facilitate the regulatory clearances. Objective of this MoU is to find viable and sustainable solutions to paddy straw burning, which has become a major environmental concern in Punjab and surrounding region. As per the terms of the MoU, Rika will build more than 10 bio-CNG plants with a total investment of USD 100-150 million. Intake capacity of each plant will be around 100 MT per day.
- On May 12, 2018, the Chief Minister of which state launched Vikas Yatra from Dantewada district aimed at spreading awareness about the development the state has witnessed during Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Govt’s tenure in the state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Chhattisgarh
During the course of this Vikas Yatra, Mr. Raman Singh will distribute free pesticides to 5.5 lakh labourers. He will also give smartphones to 50 lakh families under Sanchar Kranti Yojna. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will also be attending the yatra. In context of this news, it is important to note BJP leader Raman Singh came to power by defeating Congress in 2013 Chhattisgarh state assembly polls.
- On May 11, 2018, which State became the first to sign MoU with Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council to train state’s Public Works Department (PWD) officials to rate government buildings?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Maharashtra
Maharashtra has thus become the first Indian state to sign such MoU with GRIHA. As per the terms of the agreement, GRIHA Council, would train Maharashtra’s PWD’s civil and electrical engineers and architects to rate government buildings on basis of set parameters Objective behind this rating exercise is to encourage environment friendly/green buildings, that are designed, constructed, maintained and demolished using environmentally responsible processes and materials.
- On May 11, 2018, where did Indian Customs and Department of India Posts held a first ever Joint Conference to discuss measures for streamlining imports and exports by post?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.New Delhi
The conference was attended by Commissioners of Customs from all the States having Foreign Post Offices (FPOs) and their counterpart Post Master Generals. In context of this news, it is important to note that Imports and exports by post are the 6th highest cited citizen grievances under Centralized Public Grievance Redress And Monitoring System (CPGRAMS). For catering to the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and to provide a boost to the Make in India program, Customs Department has proposed new simplified procedures for exports through India Post.
- On May 12, 2018, Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh laid foundation stone of the frozen semen station in Maranga, Purnea, of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Bihar
Frozen semen station in Maranga, Purnea is being set up at a cost of Rs 64 crore (100% contribution from the Central Government) under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission. Launched in 2014, Rashtriya Gokul Mission is geared towards conserving and developing indigenous breeds to increase milk productivity. Frozen semen station in Purnea will be the first state-of-the-art semen production centre in India. The station will have a highly modern bull shade, semen processing lab, feed and godown, agricultural equipment, and other facilities.
- On May 11, 2018, Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) has signed a memorandum of understanding with the NTPC for increasing solar power generation in the state. Expand NTPC?
1.National Thermal Power Corporation
2.Nuclear Thermal Power Corporation
3.Nano Technological Power Corporation
4.National Thermal Power Corporation
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.National Thermal Power Corporation
The MoU includes an agreement to set up a 15 MW solar power unit at the NTPC complex in Kayamkulam. In addition to this, scope for setting up solar plants at reservoirs, open space and top of buildings would also be explored. Power generated through these projects would be given to KSEB at a rate fixed by the State Electricity Regulatory Commission.
- On May 12, 2018, Jammu and Kashmir State Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister ____, approved a notification of the non-functional (monetary) scheme (NFS) and its implementation for members of the general executive cadre of the Jammu and Kashmir Police Service (JKPS)?
3.Muqtar Abbas Naqvi
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mehbooba Mufti
This scheme seeks placement of Jammu and Kashmir Police Service (JKPS) officers in higher scales. As per the scheme, a junior scale JKPS officer, in the pay band of Rs 9300-34800 with Grade Pay (GP) of Rs. 4800 with 10 years in the junior scale will be eligible for placement in the time scale (non-functional) of Rs. 15600-39100 with GP of Rs 6600 after assessment by the selection committee. Similarly, a time scale JKPS officer with four years service will be eligible for placement in the selection grade-II (non-functional) of Rs 15600-39100 with a grade pay of Rs 7600 after assessment.
- On May 11, 2018, Supreme Court of India approved “Compensation Scheme for Women Victims/Survivors of Sexual Assault/other crimes”. A compensation fund will be set up and it would be managed by ___?
1.State Legal Services Authority (SLSA)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.State Legal Services Authority (SLSA)
Under the scheme, a compensation fund will be set up and it would be managed by State Legal Services Authority(SLSA). Compensation for gangrape victim will be in the range of Rs 5 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh, minimum compensation of Rs. 4 lakh is to be paid in case of rape or unnatural sexual assault while for acid attack victims minimum compensation will be Rs 7 lakh for total disfigurement and Rs 5 lakh in case of 50% burns. Most important feature of the scheme is that, grant of monetary relief is not linked with the trial in such cases and the victim can approach the State or District Legal Services Authority for compensation immediately after the incident.
- How much amount has been allotted by 71 ministries and departments of the central government for implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) in 2018-19?
1.Rs 12,239 crore
2.Rs 16,500 crore
3.Rs 45,000 crore
4.Rs 100,000 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs 16,500 crore
This amount is over and above the budget of the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation for Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs for Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban). The Swachhata Action Plan (SAP) 2018-19 was released by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha at a meeting of Union secretaries and senior officials on 11th May 2018 in New Delhi. SAP Compendium 2018-19 was also released at the meeting.
- On May 10, 2018, US President Donald Trump announced that he will meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12, 2018 in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Singapore
This will be the first ever meeting between a sitting US president and North Korean leader. Key issue to be discussed during the meeting will be North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme and intercontinental ballistic missile launches which raised geopolitical tensions across the world
- As per Credit rating agency Fitch, Indian economy is projected to grow at ____ percent in current fiscal i.e. 2018-19 and ____ percent in next fiscal?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.7.3, 7.5
The above projection has been made in Fitch’s second-quarter Sovereign Credit Overview for Asia Pacific region. Fitch has outlined that India’s economic growth is likely to accelerate as money supply has recovered to its pre-demonetisation level (pre-November 2016) and disruptions related to the rollout of the Goods and Services Tax (GST), in July 2017 have diminished. Besides, implementation and continued broadening of the government’s structural-reform agenda will lead to a gradual improvement in country’s business environment.
- According to a report titled ‘Indian Industry’s Inclusive Footprint in South Africa – Doing Business, Doing Good’, released by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), how many Indian companies have invested close to $4 billion in South Africa?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.140
Investment of Indian companies in South Africa is mainly in healthcare and pharmaceuticals, Information Technology (IT), automobile industry and finance sectors. Major Indian companies that have invested in South Africa are Wipro, Cipla, Coal India, HCL Technologies, Tata Motors, Mahindra & Mahindra and Zomato. It is noteworthy that investment of Indian companies in South Africa is not just limited to tapping business opportunities but also comprise Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and skill development initiatives aimed at empowering local people.
- Name the three Indian alumni of UK universities who have been awarded by the British Council for their outstanding achievements and contribution to the country?
1.Saumya Saxena, Ruchi Shah and Sushant Desai
2.Pragya Prachi, Ankita Agarwal and Sunita Rai
3.Sharmila Gariwal, Ruchi Shah and Sushant Desai
4.Pragya Prachi, Ankita Agarwal and Nandhini Bhalla
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Saumya Saxena, Ruchi Shah and Sushant Desai
Saumya Saxena, an alumni of the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford has been presented ‘Professional Achievement Award’for exemplary leadership in professional field. Ruchi Shah, a post graduate of the University of the Arts London has been presented ‘Social Impact Award’ for exceptional contribution to creating positive social change. Sushant Desai, a post graduate from the University of Edinburgh has been presented ‘Entrepreneurial Award’ for playing leading role in business innovation.
- On 9th May 2018, ____ was given three months extension as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)?
1.Pawan Kumar Agarwal
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Pawan Kumar Agarwal
Pawan Kumar Agarwal is a 1985-batch IAS officer of West Bengal cadre. He has been given three-month extension beyond 15th May 2018. He became the CEO of FSSAI in December 2015.
- Who has been nominated as the Green Ambassador of the Sikkim by Sikkim government?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Mohit Chauhan
Mohit Chauhan is a Bollywood playback singer. He also sings for the ‘Silk Route’ band. He has been nominated as the Green Ambassador to promote Sikkim as a Green Destination both at a national and international level, on voluntary basis.
- On 11th May 2018, Infosys announced that its independent director ____ has resigned from the Board with immediate effect?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ravi Venkatesan
Infosys has said that, Ravi Venkatesan has resigned from the Board to pursue a new opportunity. Ravi Venkatesan is a former Microsoft India chairman. He joined Infosys Board in April 2011 as an additional director. After Ravi Venkatesan’s resignation the board strength of Infosys has reduced to eight members.
- On 11th May 2018, SpaceX launched its most powerful Falcon 9 rocket named ____, carrying the first high-orbit communications satellite for Bangladesh named “Bangabandhu Satellite-1” from Cape Canaveral, Florida?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Block 5
The rocket is designed for less maintenance and refurbishment between flights. It has been certified to carry humans to space. The Block 5 Falcon 9 rocket’s main aim was to propel Bangabandhu Satellite-1 to a geostationary transfer orbit nearly 35,000 km above earth. Bangabandhu Satellite-1 is a communications satellite for Bangladesh. It will provide video and communications coverage over Bangladesh and its territorial waters in the Bay of Bengal, and in India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, and Indonesia.
- A rock sample found eight years ago in Champua, in Kendujhar district of which Indian state has been declared the world’s second oldest rock?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Odisha
Scientists have found a grain of magmatic zircon (a mineral that contains traces of radioactive isotopes) in the rock. Through which it has been estimated to be 4,240 million years old. The discovery was made by researchers from University of Calcutta and Curtin University, Malaysia, and Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, Beijing. The findings were published in the journal Scientific Reports. Presence of zircon older than this was found only in Jack Hill, Western Australia, which is 4,400 million years old, making it the oldest known rock sample.
- On 10th May 2018, which tennis player broke John McEnroe’s record of 49 straight sets won on the same surface by defeating Diego Schwartzman 6-3, 6-4 in the third round of the Madrid Open, in Spain?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal won 50 consecutive sets on clay surpassing John McEnroe’s record set on carpet in 1984. Rafael Nadal is expecting to win his sixth Madrid Open title.
- Ankit Chadha who died in an accident near Pune, Maharashtra, on 9th May 2018, was a ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Story-teller
Ankit Chadha was popular for his unique style of storytelling in Urdu. It is said that, Ankit Chadha had gone for a walk along the shores of Uksan lake and drowned in the lake after he slipped accidentally. He was 30 years old. He had performed at various national and international stages, and also in universities like Harvard, Yale and Toronto.
- On 11th May 2018, Gen Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army Staff, released the book ‘Across the Bench – Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System’. Name the author of this book?
1.Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan
4.Lt Gen Aman Mittal
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan
‘ Across the Bench – Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System’ has been written by Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan. Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan is a former Army Commander and Member ‘A’, Armed Forces Tribunal, Lucknow Bench. The book speaks on military judicial system, command and management issues in the military establishments and issues related to veterans, their families and dependents.
- When was the International Nurses Day themed “Nurses A Voice to Lead – Health is a Human right” was celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.May 12
International Nurses Day is celebrated throughout the world on 12th May every year to mark the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. The International Nurses Day honours the contributions of nurses to society. The International Council of Nurses (ICN) celebrates this day since 1965. The theme for International Nurses Day 2018 was chosen as “Nurses A Voice to Lead – Health is a Human right” by ICN.
- What is the theme of the World Migratory Bird Day that was celebrated on 12th May 2018?
1.Conservation of migratory bird species in Asia
2.Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation
3.Stand up against environment pollution; Protect our bird population
4.Migratory birds need better care and protection
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation
The World Migratory Bird Day is celebrated from now on twice a year, on the Second Saturday in May and in October. It will also be observed on 13th October 2018. World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) aims to create awareness on the need for conservation of migratory birds and their habitats. The theme for World Migratory Bird Day 2018 is: “Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation”. Also 2018 is the “Year of the Bird”.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) will offer Rs 10 crore under corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds to which state government for the widening of Gaurikund-Kedarnath trek route?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Uttarakhand
An assurance to this effect was given by Union Petroleum & Natural Gas Minister DharmendraPradhan to Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat. It was at the chief minister’s request that the union minister agreed to raise the amount to be given by the ONGC for the purpose from Rs 4.5 crore to Rs 10 crore.
- NASA will include a small, autonomous helicopter in its upcoming ____ mission?
1.Mars 2022 rover
2.Mars 2020 rover
3.Space 2020 rover
4.Space 2022 rover
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mars 2020 rover
NASA will include a small, autonomous helicopter in the agency’s upcoming Mars 2020 rover mission. The craft will undergo a 30-day test campaign once it reaches the Red Planet to demonstrate the viability of travel above the Martian surface with a heavier-than-air craft.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Kolleru Bird Sanctuary located?Andhra Pradesh
- Name the Chairman and MD and headquarters of National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)?Current Chairman and MD – Gurdeep Singh; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Which state houses the Guru Ghasidas National Park?Chhattisgarh
- Who is the CEO & MD of Infosys?Salil S Parekh
- Where is Maharaja Lakshmeshwar Singh Museum present?Darbhanga, Bihar
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification