AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 2 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Which Union Ministry has established an Export Promotion Cell with an aim to create a sustainable ecosystem for the entire MSME (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) development?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Finance
3) Ministry of Human Resource Development
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) None of theseAnswer – 5) None of these; Correct Answer is – Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME)
On 31st December 2018, Giriraj Singh, Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) informed the parliament that the MSME ministry has established an Export Promotion Cell with an aim to create a sustainable ecosystem for entire MSME development. Benefits of Export Promotion Cell to the MSMEs:
• Evaluation of readiness of MSMEs to export their products and services.
• Recognition of areas where improvements are required in order to be able to export effectively and efficiently.
• Integration of MSME into global value chain.
- A government appointed panel headed by _____ has suggested All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to stop setting up new engineering colleges from 2020 and review the creation of new capacity every 2 years after that?
1) B V R Mohan Reddy
2) A K R Sriram
3) Bijay Panda
4) Sreejith Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) B V R Mohan Reddy
A government appointed panel headed by IIT- Hyderabad chairman B V R Mohan Reddy has suggested to the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to stop setting up new engineering colleges from 2020 and review the creation of new capacity every two years after that. In a 41-page report, the panel has also suggested that no additional seats should be approved in traditional engineering areas such as mechanical, electrical, civil and electronics. It has also recommended that institutes should be encouraged to convert current capacity in traditional disciplines to emerging new technologies as the current capacity utilisation in traditional disciplines is just 40% as opposed to 60% seat occupancy in branches such as computer science and engineering, aerospace engineering and mechatronics.
- Which state got a separate high court on 1st January 2019, which is the 25th high court of India?
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Andhra Pradesh
On 1st January 2019, Andhra Pradesh got a separate high court which will temporarily function from the Chief Minister’s camp office in Amravati, the new capital of the state till a permanent building for the High Court is being set up at the ‘Justice City’in Amaravati. Since the bifurcation of the state on June 2, 2014, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have had a common high court at Hyderabad. With the creation of the new high court, the country now has 25 high courts. The present high court building in Hyderabad would be housing the High Court of Telangana and the ten judges, who were part of the common high court, will now be the judges of the Telangana High Court. The bifurcation of the courts into the High Court of Telangana and High Court of Andhra Pradesh came after the Supreme Court on 29th October passed an order for the burification and said that it expects a notification by January 01, 2019. Justice C Praveen Kumar, the senior-most judge among the judges allotted to Andhra Pradesh, was appointed as acting Chief Justice of AP High Court, that will have 15 other judges with effect from January 1 , 2019. Justice Thottathil B Radhakrishnan took over as the first Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court with effect from January 1 , 2019.
- Israel and _____ officially quit the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on 31st December 2018, amid concerns that UNESCO fosters anti-Israel bias?
3) United States of America (USA)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) United States of America (USA)
0n 31st December 2018, The United states of America (USA) and Israel officially quit the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) amid concerns that the organization fosters anti-Israel bias. UNESCO was established in 1945 after the end of world war II to foster peace and it is best known for its World Heritage programs which designates cultural sites and aims to preserve traditions. Both the countries filed the notice to withdraw from the organization in 2017. The United States, one of the founding member of UNESCO has demanded “Fundamental Reform” in the organization. USA and Israel stopped paying dues to UNESCO after Palestine which is disputes part of Israel was voted in as a member state of UNESCO in 2011. So this move will not affect UNESCO because it has been already dealing with funding slash ever since 2011.
- Reserve Bank of India has granted permission to which payments bank to add new customers, after it had initially barred the bank from opening bank accounts in June 2018?
1) Jana Small Finance Bank
2) ESAF Small Finance Bank
3) AU Small Finance Bank
4) Paytm Payments Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Paytm Payments Bank
On January 1, 2019, Reserve Bank of India granted permission to Paytm Payments Bank to add new customers after it initially barred Paytm from opening bank accounts in June 2018. This was due to non-compliance of the KYC norms and because Paytm Payments Bank had failed to maintain Rs 100 crore net worth limit. Post the audit, Paytm Payments Bank had removed Renu Satti from the chief executive’s role and replaced her with veteran banker and ex-NPCI senior executive Satish Gupta.
- Government of India has infused ____ rupees of capital into UCO bank through preferential allotment, as on 31st December 2018?
1) Rs 3074 crore
2) Rs 4567 crore
3) Rs 2345 crore
4) Rs 5009 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 3074 crore
On 31st December 2018, State-run lender UCO bank, formerly United Commercial Bank, announced that Government of India has infused Rs 3074 crore of capital into it by the way of preferential allotment. The UCO Bank has posted a net loss of Rs. 1136.44 Crore in the second quarter of FY19 against a net loss of Rs. 622.56 crore for the same period of previous fiscal. Gross NPA (Non-performing assets) of UCO bank fell marginally from Rs. 29786.41 crore to Rs. 29581.49 crore during the September Quarter of FY19. Gross NPA of the Bank as a percentage of total loans decreased during September quarter by 0.34 basis points to 25.37 per cent from 25.71 per cent during the June quarter. Government of India holds 90.8 per cent stake in UCO bank as on 30th September 2018.
- Gross Non-Performing Assets (GNPA) ratio of Scheduled Commercial Banks declined from 11.5 % in March 2018 to what per cent in September 2018, as per the 18th Fiscal Stability Report of India released by Reserve Bank of India (RBI)?
1) 10.8 %
2) 9.78 %
3) 8.75 %
4) 7.65 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 10.8 %
On December 31, 2018, the central bank of India, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released 18th Fiscal Stability Report of India. This report has been prepared by the Sub-Committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) on the risks to financial stability, the strength of the financial system and the development and regulation of the financial sector. This is the first such report that has been published after Mr. Shaktikanta Das became governor in December following Urjit Patel’s departure. The following states the findings of the report: India’s financial system remains stable, banking sector shows signs of improvement, with the gross non-performing assets (GNPA) ratio of Scheduled Commercial Banks declining from 11.5 per cent in March 2018 to 10.8 per cent in September 2018.
- Which country introduced a new “GAFA tax” named after Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon to ensure that the companies pay a fair share of taxes in Europe, on 1st January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) France
From 1st January 2019, France introduced a new “GAFA tax” named after the large internet and technology companies Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon to ensure the global giants pay a fair share of taxes on their massive businesses in Europe.According to France’s finance Minister Bruno Le Maire, the new tax would raise 500 million euros (570 million dollars) in 2019. The unilateral move from France came after the deal for EU wide tax which required the support of all 28 EU states, crumbled earlier this month, with opposition from countries including Ireland, home to the European headquarters of Google and Apple. While other EU member states such as Britain, Spain and Italy are working on national versions of a digital tax, Asian countries such as Singapore and India are also planning their own schemes.
- Government has introduced Minimum Support Price for how many items of Minor Forest Produce (MFP), based on recommendations of the MFP Pricing Cell constituted by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED)?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 17
On December 27, 2018, the Government introduced the Minimum Support Price of 17 items of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) items after revising 23 items. These changes have been done under the recommendations of the MFP Pricing Cell constituted by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED). Among the items revised, 10 MFP items have been under the scheme from 2013-14 and 13 new items were included w.e.f. 31.10.2016. Futher, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs decided to announce the inclusion of seventeen (17) more MFP items in the scheme along with their MSP.
- Who received the 12th Shankar Vaidya Shree Award at the 19th anniversary of the Dr. P.S. Shankar Pratishtan in Kalaburagi, Karnataka, on 1st January 2019?
1) Dr. Sanjeev Bose
2) Dr. Rajan Deshpande
3) Dr. Renukha Das
4) Dr. Manushree Mittal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Rajan Deshpande
On January 1, 2019, a Dharwad-based paediatrician, Dr. Rajan Deshpande, received the Shankar Vaidya Shree Award at the 19th anniversary of the Dr. P.S. Shankar Pratishtan in Kalaburagi, Karnataka. He was honoured for his exemplary work in children’s healthcare for 40 years. He is the 12th recipient of this award after its inception in 2000. In this award, he got a cash prize of Rs. 10,000, a medal and a citation.
- Name the food delivery boy who was awarded with Rs. 1,00,000 for his heroic effort of saving 10 people from fire at the ESIC hospital in Mumbai on 17th December 2018?
1) Nitesh Lade
2) Siddrameshwar Siddharam Humanabade
3) Lagnajith Roy
4) Pratheek Banerjee
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Siddrameshwar Siddharam Humanabade
On January 1, 2019, Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar, awarded Mr. Siddrameshwar Siddharam Humanabade, Food Delivery Boy, with Rs. Rs. 1,00,000/- (Rupees One Lakh). He was awarded for his heroic effort to save 10 people from the fire at the ESIC hospital at Andheri, Mumbai on 17.12.2018.
- Who was sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court on 1st January 2019?
1) Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan
2) Justice Ramachandra Rao
3) Justice Manish Krishnan
4) Justice Sameer Khan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan
On January 1, 2019, Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan was sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court. His oath was administered by Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan. After that the CJ of Telengana HC administered the oath of office to 12 justices of Telangana High Court. He had been serving as the Chief Justice of the High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad for both the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- ______ was sworn in as the acting Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court, on 1st January 2019?
1) Justice Vikram Thapar
2) Justice Praveen Kumar
3) Justice Ramesh Mathur
4) Justice B V R Rao
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Justice Praveen Kumar
On 1st January 2019, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan administered oath to Justice Praveen Kumar as the acting Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court in Vajaywada.
- Name the person who took charge as the new chairman of Railway Board, on 1st January 2019?
1) Manoj Kumar
2) VK Yadav
3) Ranjith Kumar S
4) Deepak Saini
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) VK Yadav
On January 1, 2019, VK Yadav took charge of the chairmanship of Railway Board. He succeeded Ashwani Lohani. Prior to his appointment, the General Manager of South-Central Railway (SCR). He is an electrical engineer and belongs to the 1980 batch of the Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers. He has also served as additional divisional railway manager of Delhi division, divisional railway manager of Lucknow and chief electrical engineer of planning/ traction distribution in Northern Railway.
- Who took charge as the MD and CEO of Axis bank on 1st January 2019, following the retirement of Shikha Sharma?
1) Sandeep Vaishnav
2) Murali Krishnan S
3) Amitabh Chaudhry
4) Randeep Vijay
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Amitabh Chaudhry
On 31st December 2018, private sector lender Axis Bank Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Shikha Sharma retired from the services of the bank and Amitabh Chaudhry will be the new MD and CEO of the Axis bank from 1st January 2019. In April 2018, Shikha Sharma requested the bank board to reduce her new term which was started from June 2018 to 7 months from a three-year tenure without citing any reasons. 54 years old, an Indian Institute of Management -Ahmedabad alumnus, Amitabh Chaudhry who is the former MD and CEO of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company was appointed the MD & CEO of Axis Bank for the period of 3 years.
- Name NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) spacecraft that performed the farthest flyby in history, upto 6.5 billion km from Earth, as it approached the Kuiper Belt object Ultima Thule, on 1st January 2018?
1) New Horizons
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Horizons
On 1st January 2019, the American space agency NASA‘s New Horizons spacecraft performed the farthest flyby in history as it approached the Kuiper Belt object Ultima Thule. At 6.5 billion km from Earth, the encounter is the most distant ever exploration of a Solar System body. The cosmic rendezvous occurred so far from Earth that it took more than 6 hours for a signal from New Horizons to reach Earth. Ultima is an object in the Kuiper belt which is a band of frozen material that orbits the Sun more than 2 billion km (1.25bn miles) further out than the Neptune; and 1.5 billion km beyond even the dwarf planet Pluto, which New Horizons visited in 2015. NASA launched the $700 million nuclear-powered New Horizons spacecraft in January 2006 on a mission originally aimed at Pluto which was very successful as the spacecraft sent the first-ever detailed photos of the dwarf planet.
- Which spacecraft of NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) broke the record for smallest space object ever orbited, after successfully entering into orbit around the asteroid Bennu?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) OSIRIS-Rex
NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft broke a record after successfully entering into orbit around the asteroid Bennu — the smallest cosmic object ever to be orbited by a spacecraft. NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft, 110 million kilometers away, carried out a single, eight-second burn of its thrusters. The manoeuvre placed the spacecraft into orbit around the asteroid Bennu. The spacecraft will circle Bennu about 1.75 kilometres from its centre, closer than any other spacecraft has come to its celestial object of study.
- Kader Khan passed away in Canada on 1st January 2019. He was a writer and a ____?
2) Hockey Player
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Actor
On January 1, 2019, Veteran actor-writer Kader Khan passed away at 81 in Canada. Making his acting debut in 1973 with Rajesh Khanna’s “Daag”, he has featured in over 300 films. He wrote dialogues for over 250 movies and was also a screenwriter.
- When did Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) celebrate its establishment day named the DRDO day?
1) December 31
2) January 1
3) December 30
4) January 2
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) January 1
On 1st January 2018, the Defence Research and Development Organisation celebrated its establishment day, the DRDO day, throughout its laboratories and facilities in the country. The DRDO has made the country self-reliant in areas of missiles, radars, sonars and torpedoes and many other systems. The Organisation has been working over the years to develop state of the art weapon system for the country’s armed forces. On the occasion the DRDO Chairman Dr G Satheesh Reddy announced that the indigenously developed fighter aircraft Light Combat Aircraft Tejas and Airborne Early Warning and Control System are now on final induction after going through all the test.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is Umred-Pauni-Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary located?Answer – Bhandara district, Maharashtra
Umred-Pauni-Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary located in Bhandara district of Maharashtra, appeared in the news recently, as a tiger was found dead in the sanctuary on 30th December 2018. A tourist visiting the sanctuary informed authorities around 8 am about a tiger lying motionless in the Pauni range of the sanctuary. The cause of the tiger’s death is yet to be ascertained. The state has nearly half-a-dozen tiger reserves and prominent among them are Pench, Melghat, Tadoba-Andhari and Sahyadri. There are nearly 165 striped cats inhabiting these reserves.
- Chairman of All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) is _____?Answer – Anil Sahasrabudhe
- Who is the Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana?Answer – E. S. L. Narasimhan
- Name the MD and CEO and headquarters of UCO Bank?Answer – MD & CEO – Atul Kumar Goel; Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal
- What is the tagline of Axis Bank?Answer – Badhti Ka naam Zindagi