Welcome to Online Current Affairs February 23 2017 Quiz in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating quiz covering important event in Current Affairs, which is common for all the bank exams and other competitive exams.
- Daily Current Affairs
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2017
- Read Our 2017 Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2017 February
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu unveiled the new fully unreserved train __________ for the common man on February 22, 2017.
B.Gareeb Kalyan Express
Answer – C.Antyodaya Express
Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu had unveiled the new Antyodaya Express, a fully unreserved train for the common man with specially designed colourful coaches. The first Antyodaya Express will be plied between Mumbai and Tatanagar, and the second will be between Ernakulam and Howrah shortly. As stated in the Union budget these Antyodaya was meant for Aam Aadmi (common man) provided in Antyodaya coaches are similar in first class that will have cushioned seats with aluminium composite panels. The fare structure will be between 10 per cent and 15 per cent more than the regular fare.
- Which ministry has launched the compensation fund under Nirbhaya scheme on February 22, 2017 to make available financial help to children who are victims of sexual crimes?
A.Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
B.Ministry of Law and Justice
C.Ministry of Women and Child Development
D.Ministry of Minority Affairs
Answer – C.Ministry of Women and Child Development
Union Women and Child Development Minister Sanjay Maneka Gandhi has unveiled the setting up of a compensation fund under Nirbhaya scheme to make available financial help to children who are victims of sexual crimes. The money for this fund will be drawn from Nirbhaya Scheme and will be watched directly by the Women and Child Development Ministry and on the total amount of money to be set aside for this scheme is yet to be decided.
- The state government of Kerala has decided to set up Ayurvedic Research Institute in which of the given cities?
Answer – D.Kannur
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has decided to set up Ayurvedic research institute and Kerala Blood Bank society of International standards in Kerala during the 13th five year plan. Ayurvedic research institute will be set up at the cost of Rs 300 crore at Kannur. It will be set up jointly by Thiruvananthapuram Citizens India Charitable Trust, Health Department with technical assistance of WHO.
- With which country India has signed an MoU on February 21, 2017 to enhance railway safety in the Indian Railways?
C.United States of America
Answer – B.Japan
Indian Railway Board Chairman A.K.Mittal and Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan Vice-Minister Hiroshi Tabata has signed Memorandum of Cooperation on February 21, 2017. Aim of the MoU is to enhance railway safety in the Indian Railways with focus on railway track and rolling stock safety. Areas of cooperation include Rail inspection, rail wielding and providing automatic railway track safety inspection, maintenance of rolling stock. The Delhi – Mumbai and the Delhi – Howrah lines are will be taken up first for the technology upgrade plan.
- Which Indian state has on February 22, 2017 imposed ban on manufacturing, storage, sale or storage of gutkha or pan masala?
Answer – C.Punjab
Punjab government lead by Parkash Singh Badal has imposed the one year ban on the manufacture, storage, sale or distribution of food products containing tobacco or nicotine like gutkha and pan masala. The decision has been taken in view of the orders issued by Supreme Court. The ban also applicable to processed, flavoured, scented, chewing tobacco.
- Which Indian state is set to launch India’s first public registry of sex offenders to check on sex crimes?
Answer – B.Kerala
The Kerala government has planned to launch the country’s first sex offenders registry which will contain all identification details of sex offenders and would be kept in public domain. A comprehensive victim relief fund will be set-up by the state government to provide interim relief for victims of sex crimes, both children and adults.
- The First Sherpas Meeting of the 9th BRICS Summit was held in which country?
Answer – C.China
China is hosting the first official BRICS Sherpas Meeting in Nanjing -Jiangsu Province on February 23 and 24 under its chairmanship. The meeting is focusing on the theme of “Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future” upon considering the current international situation. This event will see a participation of 100 people, including Sherpas, diplomatic envoys in China and the New Development Bank representatives. The Sherpas mechanism, as a main vehicle to coordinate and promote the BRICS cooperation, primarily serves to make political preparations for the BRICS Summit.
- Which bank has inked an agreement with the Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company on February 22, 2017 for distribution of insurance products?
B.Oriental Bank of Commerce
D.Bank of India
Answer – B.Oriental Bank of Commerce
Haryana based Oriental Bank of Commerce has signed a corporate agency agreement with Chennai based general insurance provider Cholamandalam General Insurance Company for distribution of insurance products on February 22, 2017. The partnership will benefit our customers and through this ties up. The insurance products includes motor, health, home and travel
- In the latest estimation of GDP growth for India, the International Monetary Fund has predicted the growth to slow down to ________ percent due to demonetization.
Answer – C.6.6 percent
International Monetary Fund come up with India’s growth projection which predicted slow 6.6 per cent in 2016-17 fiscal due to “temporary disruptions” caused by demonetisation. The IMF has noted that demonetisation would have only short term impact on the economy and it would bounce back to its expected growth of more than 8% in the next few years.
- Which payment network has signed an MoU with the state government of Andhra Pradesh on February 22, 2017 to help transform Vishakhapatnam into India’s first ‘less cash’ city?
Answer – C.Visa
The world’s second largest card payment organization Visa has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Andhra Pradesh government to make Vishakhapatnam as India’s first ‘less-cash’ city. Aim : To provide 500 million underserved with a payment account by 2020. This is the first step to design India’s ‘Fintech Valley’ that will act as a facilitator for information flow. It will provide support to FinTech start-ups by providing access to Visa’s APIs, providing subject matter expertise, and participating in boot camps and hackathons. It will increase increase customer adoption of electronic payments by 75 per cent to 100 per cent.
- Who has been appointed as the Chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT) on February 22, 2017?
B.Abhay Manohar Sapre
C.Balbir Singh Chauhan
Answer – B.Abhay Manohar Sapre
Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre has been appointed as the chairman of Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT) on February 22, 2017. Manohar is the succeedor of Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan. He was nominated by Chief Justice J.S. Khehar. Prior to this, he has served as chief justice of Gauhati High Court and the High Court of Manipur. He also served as judge at Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan High Courts.
- Which bank has won the Best financial inclusion initiatives and the Best use of digital and channels technology awards at the IBA-Banking Technology Awards on February 21, 2017?
A.Indian Overseas Bank
B.Bank of Maharashtra
Answer – C.Karnataka Bank
The commerical banking company Karnataka Bank has won two ‘IBA-Banking Technology’ awards in Mumbai on February 21, 2017 for ‘Best financial inclusion initiatives (small bank)’ category – Winner and ‘Best use of digital and channels technology (small bank)’ – Runner. The award recognises and rewards individuals, professionals and banks who have recorded noteworthy technology and business benefits in 2016
- The government has notified the protocol amending the India-Israel tax treaty to provide for exchange of information on tax matters. The amended treaty would be effective from which date?
A.March 1, 2017
B.April 1, 2017
C.March 30, 2017
D.June 1, 2017
Answer – B.April 1, 2017
Centre has notified the protocol amending the India-Israel tax treaty to provide for exchange of information on tax matters including bank details with a view to check black money flows which will come into force effect in India from fiscal year beginning April 1. The amended treaty will pave provision for sharing information which received from Israel in respect of an Indian resident to other law enforcement agencies like the Enforcement Directorate, the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence and CBI with authorization of Competent Authority.
- The technology giant Microsoft has signed an MoU with which state on February 22, 2017 to utilise Microsoft Azure Stack for the first time in the world for migration of 340 live applications from one data centre to another?
Answer – B.Andhra Pradesh
Technology giant Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu has signed agreement to utilise Microsoft Azure Stack for AP government state data centre at the ‘Microsoft Future Decoded’ held in Mumbai on February 22, 2017. For the first time in the world, Microsoft Azure Stack will be used to migrate 340 live applications of AP government from Hyderabad State Data Centre (SDC) to Vizag data centre.
- Who has been appointed as the new commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police, better known as Scotland Yard, on February 23, 2017?
Answer – A.Cressida Dick
Cressida Dick (56) was appointed as the new commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police. With this, she becomes the first woman to lead Scotland Yard in 188 year UK history. Dick replace Bernard Hogan-Howe, who is stepping down from the position previous week. She left the police force in 2015 to work at the foreign office, led the security operation for the 2012 London Olympics and was highly regarded by many Scotland Yard peers.
- Which telecom operator has signed an agreement with the Telenor South Asia Investments on February 23, 2017 to acquire Telenor India Communications?
Answer – B.Bharti Airtel
India’s largest domestic telecom operator Bharti Airtel has signed an agreement with Telenor South Asia Investments to acquire Telenor India Communications. The amount of the deal is not yet finalised. Telenor’s operations and services will continue as normal, until the transaction is completed. The transaction is expected to complete within a year. According to the agreement, Airtel will take over Telenor India’s spectrum, licences and operations, including its employees and customer base of 44 million. It will give it an access to 7 circles including Gujarat, Maharashtra, UP East and UP West
- Which of the following organization has launched a mobile application for Goods and Services Tax (GST) to inform the taxpayers of the latest updates on GST?
A.Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)
B.Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC)
C.Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
D.Ministry of Finance
Answer – B.Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC)
The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) has launched a mobile application for Goods and Services Tax (GST) to inform the taxpayers of the latest updates on GST among others. Taxpayers can also provide feedback and contact CBEC’s 24×7 helpdesk “CBEC Mitra” through a toll-free number or email, at the touch of a button. GST app will provide the information like: Migration to GST-Approach and guidelines for migration, Draft Law-Model GST Law, IGST Law and GST Compensation Law, Draft Rules-Rules related to Registration, Returns, Payment, Refund and Invoice, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on GST, Various resources on GST such a videos, articles etc., Related Website Links and Helpdesk/Email Contact
- Scientists from which organization has discovered 60,000 year old living microorganisms in Mexico’s Naica mine?
A.Roscosmos State Corporation
B.United States Department of Energy
C.European Space Agency
D.National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Answer – D.National Aeronautics and Space Administration
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) scientists have accidently made finding of living microorganisms stuck inside crystals for as long as 60,000 years in a Naica mine, a working lead, zinc and silver mine in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua. These microbes about 100 different kinds of microorganisms — most of them bacteria — have been found locked in Naica crystals for periods ranging from 10,000 to 60,000 years have apparently evolved so they can survive on a diet of sulfite, manganese and copper oxide.
- Astronomers from NASA have discovered seven new Earth-sized exoplanets orbiting around dwarf star called __________.
Answer – A.TRAPPIST-1
Astronomers have spotted at least seven Earth-sized planets orbiting the same star 40 light-years away from the sun with similar size to earth. This discovery of our solar system have low temperate, meaning they could have water on their surfaces and potentially support life. The seven exoplanets were spotted around dwarf star called TRAPPIST-1. The findings helps that their mass also indicate that they are rocky planets, rather than being gaseous like Jupiter. Of these seven planets, three of them are in the fit for human habitation of the star, known as TRAPPIST-1e, f and g, and may even have oceans on the surface.
- What is the rank of India’s one day women’s team captain Mithali Raj in the latest ICC bats women’s rankings released on February 21, 2017?
Answer – C.Second
After nail biting World Cup qualifier match Indian Women Captain added another feather by claiming no 2 position in the ICC batswomen’s rankings. The top batter Harmanpreet Kaur was placed in the tenth spot after clinical performance in the recent past. The rankings is topped by Meg Lanning of Australia with with 804 points while Raj with 733 points and Harmanpreet is 574 in the list. In the Bowling chart Jhulan Goswami, placed at the third behind Marizanne Kapp of South Africa and Stefanie Taylor of West Indies. The all-rounder’s list featured with only in top 10 as Jhulan is at seventh spot.
- Kenneth J Arrow who died on February 23, 2017 at the age of 95, was the youngest-ever to win Nobel Prize in which field?
Answer – A.Economics
Nobel-winning economist, mathematician Kenneth J Arrow has died in USA on February 23, 2017 . He was 95. Kenneth received the Nobel memorial prize in economic science for their pioneering mathematical work on general equilibrium theory in 1972. He spent most of his career at Stanford University and Harvard University. He also was known as a mentor. Five of his former students went on to become Nobel winners.
- Which Indian state has become the 22nd state to join the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) for operational improvement of the state’s power distribution department?
Answer – C.Sikkim
India’s first fully organic state Sikkim has joined the union government’s Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) as 22 nd state , the so called UDAY will in turn hand it an overall benefit of Rs 356 crore. Upon this decision Sikkim has inked MoU with the union government under the Scheme Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) for operational improvement of the state’s Power Distribution Department.