AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 23,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- How many member bench of the Supreme Court announced the judgement on the issue of instant triple talaq?
1. 2 members
2. 3 members
3. 5 members
4. 7 members
5. 9 membersAnswer – 3. 5 members
On August 22, 2017 the Supreme Court announced its judgement on the issue of instant triple talaq with majority of 3:2 .They banned “triple talaq”, or instant divorce and termed as void or invalid.Triple talaq is the practice under which a Muslim man can divorce his wife by simply uttering “talaq” three times. It is common among India’s Muslim community majority of whom follow the Hanafi Islamic school of law.
- On 23rd August 2017 the Cabinet approves MoU between India and Nepal for construction of a new Bridge over which river ?
1. Bheri River
2. Mari River
3. Madi River
4. Mechi River
5. Bakra RiverAnswer – 4. Mechi River
On 23rd August 2017 a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed between India and Nepal for new Mechi Bridge over Mechi River at Indo-Nepal border which is the ending point of Highway 02 in India leading to Nepal.National Highway and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL) as the implementing agency for this project.The estimated cost of construction of the bridge is Rs. 158.65 crore.The new bridge is part of up-gradation of the Kakarvitta (Nepal) to Panitanki Bypass (India) on NH 327B covering a length of 1500 meters including a 6 lane approach road of 825 meters.
- Name the private limited which has approved to close by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on basis of proposal of Railways Ministry.
1. Bharat Wagon and Engineering Company Limited (BWEL)
2. BESCO Limited
3. Amtek Railcar Industries Private Ltd
4. SAN Engineering & Locomotive Co. Ltd.
5. Titagarh Wagons LtdAnswer – 1. Bharat Wagon and Engineering Company Limited (BWEL)
On 23rd August 2017 The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the proposal of Ministry of Railways to close the Bharat Wagon and Engineering Company Limited (BWEL). It is a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under Ministry of Railways.The BWEL’s 626 employees will be benefitted from the voluntary retirement.The Government will have to provide one time grant off 151.18 crore towards severance package and for clearing the current liabilities of the company.
- Who launched the ‘Mentor India Campaign’?
1. Mahesh patel
2. Amitabh Kant
3. Ajay goel
4. Gaurav Mehta
5. Siddesh ChambialAnswer – 2. Amitabh Kant
NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant has launched the Mentor India Campaign. It is a strategic nation building initiative to engage leaders who can guide and mentor students at more than 900 Atal Tinkering Labs.It has established across the country as a part of the Atal Innovation Mission on 23rdof August 2017.
- Where will be going to establish first National sports museum in India?
5.New DelhiAnswer – 5.New Delhi
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is going to establish National Sports Museum at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. It will be first of its kind sports museum in India.The Museum will showcase the India’s achievements in sports and also focus on the traditional sports within the country.The aim of the Museum is to popularise the sports as a way of life within the country.It will display achievements of the Indian greats in sports and also act as an educational hub and offer opportunity for the young to delve into some sporting activity.
- Which country has allowed import of Indian bananas, pomegranate, custard apple and okra for the first time from India?
4.United States of America
5.BelizeAnswer – 3. Canada
Canada allows entry of Indian pomegranate, banana & okra
Indian bananas, pomegranate, custard apple and okra will soon be available in Canada as the North American country has allowed their import for the first time.Canada has allowed import of these fruits and vegetables from India subject to certain conditions:The consignment should be free from soil, pests, leaves and other plant debris.
- Name of the storm which hit Hong kong on 23rd of Aug 2017.
1. Typhoon Hato
2. Typhoon Wanda
3. Typhoon Vicente
4. Typhoon Zuha
5. Typhoon seolAnswer -1 . Typhoon Hato
Typhoon Hato smashed into Hong Kong on 23rd of Aug 2017 with hurricane force winds and heavy rains in the worst storm the city has seen for five years. Due to this cancellation of hundreds of flights and shutting down the stock market.The storm passed as close as 60 kilometres to Hong Kong and made landfall at noon (0930 IST) in the southern mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai.The city saw its strongest storm in 1962 when the eye of typhoon Wanda passed over and gusts of 284 kilometres per hour were recorded.
The last time the Typhoon 10 signal was raised in Hong Kong was for Typhoon Vicente in 2012.
- Who is the world’s highest-paid actor in 2017?
1. Shah Rukh Khan
2. Mark Wahlberg
3. Vin Diesel
4. Jackie Chan
5. Dwayne JohnsonAnswer -2. Mark Wahlberg
Mark Wahlberg named world’s highest-paid actor ,Shahruk khan India’s Highest : ForbesForbes has released its list of the world’s 20 highest paid actors of 2017. Mark Wahlberg soared to the top of the world’s highest paid actors on an annual Forbes magazine list.Wahlberg earned an estimated $68 million in 2017.Three of Bollywood’s biggest stars – Shah Rukh Khan ($38 million), Salman Khan ($37 million) and Akshay Kumar ($35.5 million) – took the 8th, 9th and 10th places on the Forbes list, respectively.Wahlberg replaced last year’s top-ranked star, Dwayne Johnson, who comes in at the second spot with $65 million earnings.
- Which of the following has been launched from Asia Index?
1.S&P BSE Bharat 28
2. S&P BSE Bharat 26
3. S&P BSE Bharat 24
4. S&P BSE Bharat 22
5. S&P BSE Bharat 20Answer – 4. S&P BSE Bharat 22
Asia Index Private Ltd has announced the launch of S&P BSE Bharat 22 Index. It has been launched to track the performance of state-run companies in which the central government has divested its stake. The index, as benchmark for “Bharat 22” disinvestment program of the government.It comprises of 22 select bluechip companies of which
16 are Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE).
S&P BSE Bharat 22 has been licensed to ICICI Prudential AMC for development of an exchange traded fund (ETF) based on the index.
- With whom Qatar Airways has entered into an interline partnership?
1. Hawaiian Airlines
2. Airline Vistara
3. United Airlines
4. SkyWest Airlines
5. Spirit AirlinesAnswer – 2. Airline Vistara
Airline Vistara and Persian Gulf carrier Qatar Airways have entered into an interline partnership. Under this partnership they will provide “through check-in” facility to customers for seamless travel.Qatar Airways currently operates to 13 cities in India from its Doha hub, while the Tata-SIA run joint venture airline Vistara operates to 19 domestic destinations. The partnership is effective from 22nd of August 2017.
- Name of the vaccine which India grants Pfizer patent on pneumonia?
3. pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
4. pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV)
5. Prevnar 13Answer – 5. Prevnar 13
India has granted US drug giant Pfizer a patent for its Prevenar 13. It is a vaccine that helps prevent cases of pneumonia, one of the leading causes of deaths of children under five years of age. The company said the patent is valid in India until 2026.Prevenar 13 helps prevent pneumococcalpneumonia and infections caused by 13 strains of streptococcus pneumonia bacteria.
- Who has been appointed as new Chairman of Railway Board on 23rd August 2017?
1. Ashok Mittal
2. Jai Kumar Garg
3. Rakesh Sharma
4. Ashwani Lohani
5. Dinabandhu MohapatraAnswer – 4. Ashwani Lohani
Ashwani Lohani was appointed as the new Chairman of Railway Board after Ashok Mittal tendered his resignation following recent train accidents on 23rd of Aug 2017.Lohani who holds a degree in Mechanical Engineering, currently is the Chairman & Managing Director of Air India.
- On 21 August 2017 Indian student who develops Nano Missile for Indian Army belong to which university?
1.Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
3. Symbiosis International University, Pune
4. Nirma University, Ahmedabad
5. PES University, BengaluruAnswer – 2.SRM University
A student of Chennai’s SRM University, Dacharla Panduranga Rohith developed a Nano Missile on 21 August 2017 recognized by World Records of India.
The basic prototype of the missile was tested in the presence of Assistant Commissioner of Police Ramapuram in Chennai.The video was submitted to World Records of India for recognition in July 2017.He developed the missile for the Indian Army and local police in fighting terrorism.The missile was developed for launch through a robot.This 1 cm nano missile can fly by burning the red phosphorus, and hit the target of three metres distance.
- Microsoft introduces ‘Project Brainwave’ deep learning platform for ____________.
2. real-time AI
3. real-time AK
4. real-time Ay
5. real-time ATAnswer-2. real-time AI
Microsoft has introduced “Project Brainwave” for Platform real-time AI.It is a deep learning acceleration platform that will enable faster system processes with ultra-low latency.The ‘Project Brainwave’ uses the massive field-programmable gate array (FPGA) infrastructure.The system is designed for real-time AI and can handle complex, memory-intensive models such as Long Short Term Memories (LSTM).
- Nasikabatrachus Bhupathi, a new species of frog look like What kind of animal in Western ghats?
5.WolfAnswer – 3.Pig
Indian scientists have discovered Nasikabatrachus Bhupathi, a new species of frogthat has a snout-shaped nose, just like a pig in Westen Ghats.Nasikabatrachus Bhupathi species show comparisons with the Purple Frog (Nasikabatrachus Sahyadrensis) which was discovered in 2003 in Seychelles.It is soiled-dwelling species of purple frog. It inhabits the eastern slopes of the Western Ghats.The frog has been named after the Indian herpetologist S. Bhupathy, who died in 2014.
- On August 20,2017 who won a bronze medal in the double trap even for India in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup Shotgun?
2. Manisha Keer
3. Akash Saharan
4. Shapath Bharadwaj
5. Raj chopraAnswer- 4. Shapath Bharadwaj
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup Shotgun 2017
A total of 220 athletes from 33 countries will take part in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup Shotgun event at Porpetto in Italy. A 23-member Indian squad will take part in the competition.
i.On August 20,2017 Shapath Bharadwaj from india won a bronze medal in the double trap event
- Who combined to win a bronze in the mixed team trap competition at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup?
1. Akash Saharan and Lakshay Sheoran
2. Akash Saharan and Manisha Keer
3. Shapath Bharadwaj and Lakshay Sheoran
4. Raj chopra and Akash Saharan
5. Lakshay Sheoran and Manisha KeerAnswer- 5.Lakshay Sheoran and Manisha Keer
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup Shotgun 2017
A total of 220 athletes from 33 countries will take part in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup Shotgun event at Porpetto in Italy. Lakshay Sheoran and Manisha Keer combined to win a bronze in the mixed team trap competition at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup.India’s Akash Saharan has completed sixth in the final round of the men’s trapevent at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup.
- Which place did GM Aryan Chopra from India finish in Masters Tournament at 24th Abu Dhabi International Chess Festival 2017?
5.FifthAnswer – 3.Third
Abu Dhabi Chess Festival Committee has conducted the 24th chess annual event, which consists of numerous FIDE registered tournaments. It was conducting in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the UAE from 13th to 23rd of August, 2017.
GM Amin Bassem of Egypt is winner, Briton GM Nigel Short was runner-up and GM Aryan Chopra from India finished third in Masters Tournament.
- 23rd August is celebrated as which day across the world ?
1. World Senior Citizen’s Day
2. IntI. Day of the World’s Indigenous People
3. Anti Nuclear Day
4. World Photography Day
5. International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its AbolitionAnswer -5. International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its Abolition
The International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its Abolition was observed across the world on 23rd August 2017.International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition was proclaimed by UNESCO Executive Board through its Resolution 29 C/40.The Day was first celebrated in a number of countries, particularly in Haiti on 23 August 1998 and at Goree in Senegal in 23 August 1999.
- Former CM Rishang Keishing passed away on 22nd of Aug 2017.He was a former CM of which state?
5.TirpuraAnswer – 4.Manipur
Rishang Keishing, the grand old man of Manipur, who had also served as an MLA for seven terms and became chief minister of the state four times, passed away at Imphal,. He was 97.He was a member of the first Lok Sabha in 1952.
ii.He was born to Rungdi Keishing and Mungshing Keishing of Bungpa Khunou village in Ukhrul district of Manipur on 25th October 1920.
iv.While he first became a minister in 1975, he was sworn in as chief minister of Manipur for the first time on 27th November 1980.
- Who was Tom Pritchard of New Zealand died at age of 100?
1. an actor
2. a cricketer
3. a writer
4. a Tennis player
5. a singerAnswer – 2.a cricketer
Tom Pritchard the former fast bowler from New Zealand has died aged 100 on 22ndAugust 2017.He hailed from New Zealand. Pritchard had played 200 first-class matches, picking 818 wickets.He was considered to be one of the finest fast bowlers, precisely known for his right-arm outswingers.Pritchard was a genuinely fast right-arm bowler and a useful lower order right-handed batsman who played in several matches for Wellington before the Second World War.
- Brian Aldiss dies aged 92 was a famous author of ______________ .
5.Horror FictionAnswer – 3.Science Fiction
Brian Aldiss, the “grand old man” of science fiction has died at the age of 92. He was from United Kingdom.Aldiss served in India and Burma with the British Army during World War II.He later became a bookseller, publishing his first stories in a trade magazine.