AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 19,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- 2017 India-ASEAN Youth Summit was held from 14th – 19th August 2017 in:
5.PuneAnswer – 3.Bhopal
The summit was jointly organised by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, along with the Ministry of External Affairs as part of a year-long series of events to celebrate 25 years of partnership with Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries.
- On August 17, 2017, which State Government and public sector oil firm Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) inked an agreement to form setting up a petroleum refinery and petrochemical complex in the state?
5.KarnatakaAnswer – 1.Rajasthan
As per the proposed plan, Barmer petroleum refinery and petrochemical complex would be established in 4,813 acres of land area. Tender process for the boundary wall for this has been initiated. A 270 MW power would be generated from the waste petcoke generated from the refinery.
- Under project ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ which will commence in September 2017, a team of women officers of the Indian Navy would circumnavigate the globe on an Indian-built sail boat named:
5.INSV JalpariAnswer – 4.INSV Tarini
Under project Navika Sagar Parikrama which will commence in September 2017, a team of women officers of the Indian Navy would circumnavigate the globe on an Indian-built sail boat INSV Tarini. This is the first ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew.
- Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, which will soon be released by Reserve Bank of India (RBI), will have motif of:
1.Konark Sun Temple on the reverse
2.Taj Mahal on the reverse
3.Qutab Minar on the reverse
4.India Gate on the reverse
5.Hampi with Chariot on the reverseAnswer – 5. Hampi with Chariot on the reverse
The base colour of the new note is fluorescent blue. It has a motif of Hampi with Chariot on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The note has geometric patterns aligning with the overall colour scheme, both at the obverse and reverse. Dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm x 135 mm.
- Government has approved enhanced pay scales for medical officers and specialists with effect from:
5.August 2017Answer – 5.August 2017
Pay scales for OIC (Officer In-charge Polyclinics), medical officers and dental officers has been enhanced to Rs 75,000 and all specialists to Rs 87,000 for the first year and Rs 1 lakh for the second in ECHS (Ex-servicemen Contributory Health Scheme) polyclinics.
- On August 18, 2017, which Asian country launched its first cyber court specialising in handling internet-related cases?
5.SingaporeAnswer – 2.China
On August 18, 2017, China launched its first cyber court specialising in handling internet-related cases in the e-commerce hub of Hangzhou amid a spike in the number of online disputes. The Internet Court in Hangzhou, capital of east China’s Zhejiang Province will handle cases such as online trade disputes and copyright lawsuits.
- Nestle India has tied up with which company for the launch of its new Nutrilicious range of Maggi Noodles?
5.FlipkartAnswer – – 4.Amazon India
New Nutrilicious range of Maggi Noodles will be available first on Amazon.in, and Nestle, subsequently, aims to roll it out across retail outlets in India. The Nutrilicious range is a wholesome proposition targeted towards the breakfast occasions.
- A special train called the ________ was pressed into service on August 18, 2017 by the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC), in collaboration with the Northern Railway, to spray anti-larval chemicals along the tracks to control mosquito breeding.
5.‘Anti – Mosquito Express’Answer – 4.‘Mosquito Terminator’
To fight vector-borne diseases such as dengue and chikungunya, insecticide will be sprayed using power sprayers, which will be attached to trucks placed on the train. The power sprayers will allow the insecticide to be sprayed around 60 metres on both sides of the track.
- On August 18, 2017, Power Grid Corp announced that it will get a loan of $500 million from which international financial institution for its various projects?
1.Asian Development Bank
3.International Monetary Fund
4.New Development Bank
5.Asian Infrastructure Investment BankAnswer – 1.Asian Development Bank
As announced by Power Grid, the proceeds of the loan are proposed to be utilised for funding of Green Energy Corridor (Part D); 800KV High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) bipole link between Western Region (Raigarh, Chhattisgarh) and Southern Region (Pugalur, Tamil Nadu) and 320 KV HDVC link between Pugalur and North Trichur (Kerala).
- On August 19, 2017, Union Textile Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated handicraft manufacturing unit in:
5.Kota, RajasthanAnswer – 2.Ranchi, Jharkhand
On August 19, 2017, Union textile minister Smriti Irani inaugurated handicraft manufacturing unit at Irba near Ranchi. The unit has come up in record time of 4 month with all the modern machines.
- Which city’s police department has inducted five Harley-Davidson Street 750s into its fleet?
5.Amritsar PoliceAnswer – 3.Kolkata Police
The five Harley-Davidson Street 750s were brought by the Kolkata Police Department for Rs 5.5 lakh each. This addition was done because Street 750 is a lot quicker and faster than the trademark Royal Enfield bikes.
- On August 17, 2017, the first regional centre of the New Development Bank opened in:
5.PhilippinesAnswer – 3.South Africa
The first regional centre of the New Development Bank, set up by India and other BRICS nations, was officially opened in Johannesburg, South Africa by South African President Jacob Zuma and the bank’s Indian head K V Kamath.
- On August 16, 2017, who among the following took charge as Executive Director, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI)?
1.Ms. Mamta Suri
2.Ms. Devika Bhardwaj
3.Ms. Neha Pujara
4.Ms. Sheena Malhotra
5.Ms. Sarita MenonAnswer – 1.Ms. Mamta Suri
Before joining IBBI, Ms. Suri was serving as Chief General Manager, Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India. Ms. Suri has obtained her Ph.D. in Finance from University of Delhi and M. Sc. in Insurance Risk and Management from City University, London.
- Who among the following has been appointed by Russian President Vladimir Putin as Russia’s new ambassador to India?
5.SergeyTrutnevAnswer – 2. Nikolay Kudashev
Mr Kudashev, a specialist in South East Asia, is currently the Deputy Director General Secretariat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. The appointment of Mr Kudashev comes nearly seven months after the death of Russia’s previous ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the chief of Sri Lanka’s naval forces, making him the first from the minority Tamil community to head the Navy since the brutal civil war erupted in the country 45 years ago.
5.Suppiah SornalingamAnswer – 3.Travis Sinniah
Sinniah, who played a decisive role in the destruction of the LTTE warships in deep sea during the height of the civil war, was appointed as the Navy chief by President Maithripala Sirisena.
- Bengaluru-based social education start-up has launched offline mobile app __________ for teachers that has teaching resources aligned to the Karnataka State curriculum.
5.ShishushalaAnswer – 4.Meghshala
Bengaluru-based social education start-up Meghshala Trust, supported by Tata Trusts, launched Meghshala (‘School on the Cloud’) offline mobile app on Google Play Store for the Android platform. The app empowers teachers with the necessary tools and resources to create classroom learning experiences that are engaging and interactive. It is preloaded with over 2,500 of Meghashala’s ‘TeachKits’, aligned to the Karnataka State curriculum for science, maths, English and social studies.
- On August 18, 2017, which satellite was launched by NASA for ensuring that astronauts at the International Space Station can communicate with Earth?
1.Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS-M)
2.Testing and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS-M)
3.Tracking and Diagnostic Relay Satellite (TDRS-M)
4.Testing and Diagnostic Relay Satellite (TDRS-M)
5.Tracking and Data Reception Satellite (TDRS-M)Answer – 1.Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS-M)
The $408 million Boeing-made Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS-M) soared into space atop an Atlas V rocket that launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, US on August 18, 2017. The satellite will support critical space communication into the mid-2020s.
- Who among the following cricketer has continued to be the world’s top-ranked One-day batsman in the latest ICC ODI rankings, released in Dubai on August 18, 2017?
3.AB de Villiers
5.Shikhar DhawanAnswer – 1.Virat Kohli
Having 873 points in his kitty, Kohli will have a chance to increase the 12-point lead over second-placed Australian David Warner at the upcoming five-match ODI series against Sri Lanka, starting in Dambulla, Sri Lanka on August 20, 2017.
- Who among the following has topped the Forbes’ list of highest paid female athletes of 2017?
5.Serena WilliamsAnswer – 5.Serena Williams
American tennis player Serena Williams has topped the Forbes’ list of highest paid female athletes of 2017, with $27 million in earnings between June 2016 and June 2017. Her earnings, which include prize money and endorsements, are twice that of any other female athlete.
- Who among the following has won a silver medal in the javelin throw at the first World Para Athletics Junior Championships in Nottwil, Switzerland?
5.Manoj AhlawatAnswer – 4.Rinku Hooda
India’s junior para-athlete Rinku Hooda won a silver medal in the javelin throw at the first World Para Athletics Junior Championships in Nottwil, Switzerland. 18-year-old Rinku threw a distance of 54.92 to make the second place.
- World Humanitarian Day is observed on which date every year?
5.20th AugustAnswer – 4.19th August
On 19 August 2003, a terrorist attack hit the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, Iraq killing 22 people. Among those who lost their lives was Sergio Vieira de Mello, the UN’s top representative in Iraq. Five years later, the General Assembly adopted a resolution designating 19 August as World Humanitarian Day (WHD). Every year since then, the humanitarian community has organized global campaigns to commemorate WHD, advocating for the safety and security of humanitarian aid workers, and for the survival, well-being and dignity of people affected by crises.
- Which among the following day is celebrated on 19th August every year?
1.‘World Turtle Day’
2.‘World Photography Day’
3.‘World Painting Day’
4.‘World Mountaineering Day’
5.‘World Parasailing Day’Answer – 2.‘World Photography Day’
World Photography Day originates from the invention of the Daguerreotype, a photographic process developed by Frenchmen Louis Daguerre and Joseph Nicephore Niepce in 1837. On January 9, 1839, the French Academy of Sciences announced the Daguerreotype process. On August 19, the French government purchased the patent and announced the invention as a gift “free to the world”.