Government of India’s Street Lighting National programme (SLNP) has illuminated 50,000 KM of Indian roads with installation of 30 lakh LED street lights across the country. With this milestone Energy Efficiency Services Limited has become the world’s largest street light management company.
About Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP):
- Street Light National Programme (SLNP) was launched by Government of India in January 2015, with an aim to replace 3.5 crore conventional street lightswith energy efficient LED lights.
- This replacement drive will result in saving of 9,000 million units annually, which translates into savings of Rs. 5500 crore.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited(EESL), a joint venture company of four Power Sector PSUs (NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and POWERGRID) has been designated as the implanting agency for this programme.
- Under this programme, EESL replaces the conventional street lights with LEDs at its own costs. Gains accrued to municipality due to reduction in energy and maintenance cost is used to repay EESL over a 7-year period.
Accomplishments under Street Lighting National programme (SLNP):
- The installation of 30 lakh LED street lights has resulted in 39 crore kWh of annual energy savings.
- It has also helped in reduction of 3.29 lakh tonnes of CO2 annually.
- Under SLNP, Rajasthan is leading the country with an installation of 7.85 lakh LED street lights followed by Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat with 6.03 lakhs and 5.4 lakhs respectively.
- Presently, EESL is retrofitting 15,000 conventional lights with LED street lights every day.
- Project is near completion in the states of Himachal Pradesh, Tripura and Gujarat.
- EESL is also implementing a special heritage lighting project in Kashi region of Uttar Pradesh where 4,000 lights are being installed.
- The programme has also recently commenced in the cities of Chandigarh and Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.