AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 18,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On August 17, 2017, India’s Defense acquisition council (DAC) gave the green light to a proposal to buy six Apache AH64E attack helicopters for the army from:
Answer – 2.US
The approval was given at a meeting of Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Arun Jaitley. The six Apache AH64E attack helicopters along with weapons systems from American giant Boeing at a cost of Rs 4,168 crore will be Indian Army’s first fleet of attack choppers.
- Central Government has approved a nearly Rs. _____crore “definitive five-year action programme” for the Indian Coast Guard to enhance its capability in maintaining vigil on coastal waters.
1.Rs. 32000 crore
2.Rs. 34000 crore
3.Rs. 36000 crore
4.Rs. 38000 crore
5.Rs. 40000 crore
Answer – 1.Rs. 32000 crore
The plan is to make Indian Coast Guard a 175-ship and 110-aircraft force by 2022, which will help strengthen the capabilities for coastal security, island territories, marine environment as well as undertake anti-piracy, anti-smuggling, oil-spill and pollution-control operations.
- On August 17, 2017, which campaign was launched by Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan urging children to celebrate Pollution-Free Diwali this Year?
1.“Harit Diwali, Khushaal Diwali”
2.“Harit Diwali, Shubh Diwali”
3.“Green Diwali, Swasth Diwali”
4.“Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali”
5.“Green Diwali, Khushall Diwali”
Answer – 4.“Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali”
Addressing a gathering of about 800 children from schools of Delhi and NCR, the Minister highlighted to the children the importance of their contribution towards reducing pollution by not bursting harmful fire crackers during Diwali.
- On August 17, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with Young Entrepreneurs at the “Champions of Change” initiative organised by:
1.Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)
2.Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
3.National Association of Software and Services Companies
4.Associated Chambers of Commerce of India
Answer – 5.NITI Aayog
Six groups of Young Entrepreneurs made presentations before the PM on themes such as – Soft Power: Incredible India 2.0; Education and Skill Development; Health and Nutrition; Energizing a sustainable tomorrow; and Digital India; New India by 2022. The Prime Minister described the “Champions of Change” initiative as one effort to bring together diverse strengths for the benefit of the nation and society.
- On August 12, 2017, Dr Vishwanath Karad MIT World Peace University, considered to be the first of its kind in India was inaugurated in:
Answer – 1.Pune
Envisioning education through a holistic outlook of knowledge building to establish peace and harmony in the world, the Dr Vishwanath Karad MIT World Peace University, said to be the first of its kind in India, was inaugurated by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, on August 12, 2017.
- In a bid to check round tripping of the precious metal, government has banned exports of gold jewellery, medallions and other articles above:
1.18- carat purity
2.19- carat purity
3.20- carat purity
4.21- carat purity
5.22- carat purity
Answer – 5.22- carat purity
In a notification, the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has said certain provisions of the foreign trade policy (2015-20) are “amended to allow export of gold jewellery (plain or studded) and articles containing gold of 8 carats and above up to a maximum limit of 22 carats only from domestic tariff area and export-oriented units, electronics hardware technology parks, software technology parks and bio technology parks.
- Which countries have agreed to advance their multilateral security and defence cooperation with countries like India, South Korea and Australia, amidst Chinas growing assertiveness in the Asia Pacific region?
1.Germany & Japan
2.UK & Japan
3.US & Japan
4.US & UK
5.Germany & UK
Answer – 3.US & Japan
On August 17, 2017, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, US Defence Secretary James Mattis, Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono and Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera jointly addressed a news conference in Washington, US. US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson mentioned that US and Japan will cooperate to advance trilateral and multilateral security and defence cooperation with other partners in the Asia-Pacific region.
- On August 16, 2017, Saudi Arabia said, it would welcome pilgrims from _____ to Saudi Arabia to perform the haj this season, amidst a feud that has triggered tensions between the two nations since June, 2017.
Answer – 5.Qatar
A statement by the official Saudi Press Agency said the Salwa border point would be open for Qatari citizens who wish to perform the annual pilgrimage to pass through, with no electronic permissions needed.
- Which country has launched a new direct route between its Hamad Port and Pakistan’s port of Karachi?
Answer – 1.Qatar
The new route was launched on August 12, 2017. It will boost trade between the two countries. It will also offer “fast and secure” corridor for importers and exporters, with transit time of six days from Qatar to Karachi and eight days back.
- Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai will study philosophy, politics and economics at which University?
1.University of Oxford
3.University of Cambridge
5.University of California
Answer – 1.University of Oxford
Malala Yousafzai, the Nobel Prize-winning activist who narrowly avoided death after being shot by the Taliban, has gained a place to study at the University of Oxford. She revealed that she has been accepted to study philosophy, politics and economics at the prestigious institution after receiving her A-level results.
- Which private sector bank will waive 12 equated monthly installments (EMIs) on regular repayments of loans of up to Rs 30 lakh under the new scheme Shubh Aarambh Home Loans?
5.Kotak Mahindra Bank
Answer – 3.Axis Bank
Axis Bank has introduced Shubh Aarambh Home Loans, in which 12 EMIs are waived — four EMIs each after the fourth, eighth and 12th year — from the date of the first disbursement. The waiver will be in the form of reduction in tenure.
- Who among the following has been awarded the ‘Healthcare Personality of the Year’ award by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)?
1.Dr. Jayant Kumar Singla
2.Dr. Shankar Nath Tripathi
3.Dr. Vinay Chand Ghelot
4.Dr Nanda Kumar Jairam
5.Dr. Suresh Arya
Answer – – 4.Dr Nanda Kumar Jairam
Dr Nanda Kumar Jairam, CEO, Chairman and Group Medical Director, Columbia Asia Hospitals, India, has been awarded the ‘Healthcare Personality of the Year’ award. The Healthcare Excellence Awards by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) is an attempt to recognise the contributions of those who have set benchmarks of excellence in the healthcare space.
- Who among the following Indian-origin person has featured in Fortune’s annual ‘40 Under 40’ list?
1.Leo Varadkar and Divya Nag
5.All of the above
Answer – 5.All of the above
Fortunes 2017 ‘40 Under 40’ list is an annual ranking of the most influential young people who are under 40 in business. The Indian-origin persons on the list include 38 year old Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, 26-year-old Divya Nag, Rishi Shah (31) and Shradha Agarwal (32) and CEO and founder of non-profit Samasource 31-year-old Leila Janah.
- On August 18, 2017, Vishal Sikka resigned from his post as Managing Director and CEO of _________
1.Tata Consultancy Services
Answer – 3.Infosys
Post resignation of Vishal Sikka, U B Pravin Rao has been appointed as the interim MD and CEO of the company. U B Pravin Rao, is currently the chairperson of Infosys BPO and has an experience of 30 years.
- Which football player has been named goodwill ambassador for ‘Handicap International’?
Answer – 3.Neymar
Neymar, fresh from his first win with Paris St. Germain and his world-record signing for the club, became a goodwill ambassador for Handicap International, pledging to work for millions who are “less visible” but deserve equality.
- On August 17, 2017, which telecom operator went digital by launching a bespoke mobile wallet (mobile payment App) that would enable its existing customers to make Bill payments and transact on e-commerce platforms?
Answer – 5.BSNL
This digital wallet was launched at an event by Manoj Sinha, Minister for Telecommunications in New Delhi. The wallet has been developed and issued by MobiKwik on behalf of BSNL.
- Which two mobile apps have been launched by National Highways Authority of India to help in the availability of FASTags for Electronic Toll Collection?
1. MyFASTag and FASTag Partner
2. MyFASTag and FASTag Buddy
3. MyFASTag and FASTag Friend
4. YourFASTag and FASTag Partner
5. GoFASTag and FASTag Partner
Answer – 1. MyFASTag and FASTag Partner
The cumbersome method of purchase and recharge of FASTags has been one of the major challenges. The mobile Apps launched will ease the process, making it possible to buy or recharge FASTags at the click of a mobile button.
- Union Agriculture Ministry in its recent report to a parliamentary committee has revealed that extreme weather events are costing India $______billion annually
1. $7-8 billion
2. $9-10 billion
3. $11-12 billion
4. $13-14 billion
5. $15-16 billion
Answer – 2.$9-10 billion
Union Agriculture Ministry in its recent report to a parliamentary committee has revealed that extreme weather events are costing India $9-10 billion annually and climate change is projected to impact agricultural productivity with increasing severity from 2020 to the end of the century.
- Which asteroid will pass safely by our planet on September 1, 2017 at a distance of about seven million kilometres?
Answer – 3.Asteroid Florence
As per National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), a large near-Earth asteroid named ‘Asteroid Florence’ will pass safely by our planet on September 1, 2017 at a distance of about seven million kilometres. Asteroid Florence – named in honour of Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), the founder of modern nursing – is about 4 kilometres in size, according to measurements from NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope.
- Indian contingent that participated in the World Dwarf Games in Canada bagged how many medals?
Answer – – 4.37 medals
World Dwarf Games were held in Guelph, in the Canadian province of Ontario in second week of August 2017. Indian contingent that participated in the World Dwarf Games in Canada bagged 37 medals, including 15 golds.
- On August 17, 2017, who among the following Indian badminton player won Bulgaria Open International Series?
Answer – 4.Lakshya Sen
Young Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen has clinched the Bulgaria Open International Series title after notching up a hard-fought win over Croatia’s Zvonimir Durkinjak in the men’s singles final in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- S Paul, who passed away on August 16, 2017, was:
2.Veteran Novel Writer
3.Veteran Bollywood Actor
4.Veteran Sports Journalist
Answer – 1.Veteran Photographer
Born in Jhang in Pakistan in 1929, Paul and his family moved to Shimla after the partition. A self-taught photographer, Paul had discovered his passion for the camera as a teenager. He worked with The Indian Express for over two decades before retiring in 1989.