2017 India-ASEAN Youth Summit was held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh from 14th – 19th August 2017. The summit was jointly organised by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, along with the Ministry of External Affairs as part of a year-long series of events to celebrate 25 years of partnership with Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries.
Highlights of 2017 India-ASEAN Youth Summit in Bhopal:
- The theme of the summit was “Shared Values, Common Destiny”.
- The summit was inaugurated by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Minister of State for External Affairs V.K. Singh.
- The inauguration was also be attended by Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel and Bollywood actor Anupam Kher. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was present for the concluding session.
- Over 200 delegates from Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and India participated in the Summit.
- The week-long summit aimed at promoting international goodwill & cultural understanding amongst promising young individuals, developing their potential as future leaders in government, business & civil society.
- The India-ASEAN Youth Summit will be followed by other events including a business summit, ministerial level meetings, CEOs foum, regional diaspora meeting, car rally, sailing expedition, cultural festivals across the country as well as in ASEAN countries.
About Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
- ASEAN is the association of South-East Asian nations and consists of 10 countries: Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.
- ASEAN promotes Pan-Asianism, intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, military, educational and cultural integration amongst its members and Asian states.
- It was formed on August 8, 1967.
- ASEAN Secretariatis located in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Le Luong Minh is the current Secretary-General of ASEAN.