AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 26 & 27 July 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Under World Health Organization (WHO) anti-tuberculosis programme, India extended medical assistance worth $1 million to which country?
4) North Korea
5) United States
Answer-4) North Korea
On the request of the World Health Organization (WHO), the Government of India (GoI) has extended medical assistance in the form of anti-tuberculosis medicines worth about US$ 1 million to Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) popularly known as North Korea. It is to be noted that New Delhi’s medical assistance is under the aegis of an ongoing WHO’s anti-tuberculosis programme in North Korea and hence exempted from the sanctions imposed by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- Which country builds world’s first electrified rail tunnel that fits double stack containers?
1) United Kingdom
4) United States
India builds one kilometer (km) long World’s first electrified rail tunnel that fits double stack containers. It cuts through Aravalli mountain on the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC) near Sohna, Haryana. The project is implemented by the DFCCIL (Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited).
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ welfare Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the ‘World Class State of Art Honey Testing Laboratory’ at which state?
1) Tamil Nadu
2) Arunachal Pradesh
Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the ‘World Class State of Art Honey Testing Laboratory’ virtually. This is considered to be the first Government Honey Testing lab in India. The testing lab was established by National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) in Anand, Gujarat with support of NBB (National Bee Board).
- ‘Macadamisation Program’ was launched in which state/UT recently?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) Jammu and Kashmir
Answer-5) Jammu and Kashmir
Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), Girish Chandra Murmu launched the ‘Macadamisation program’ to improve the roads across Jammu and Kashmir. The program covers 100% macadamisation of all roads along with 11,000 Km of fair-weather roads.
- The horticulture department of which state organized a five-day sub-tropical fruit expo 2020?
4) Madhya Pradesh
Haryana Horticulture Department organized a five-day Sub-Tropical Fruit Expo 2020 at the Centre for Sub-Tropical Fruit (Indo-Israel Project), at Ladwa in district Kurukshetra from 18th – 22nd July 2020.The event was inaugurated by Sanjeev Kaushal, Additional Chief Secretary in Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Department. The event helps people learn about varieties of sub-tropical fruit and their cultivation techniques.
- How much crore worth fund was created by Department of Science and Technology to support India – Russia collaboration joint R&D for technology development?
1) 25 Crores
2) 20 Crores
3) 15 Crores
4) 12 Crores
5) 10 Crores
Answer-3) 15 Crores
The Department of Science and Technology (DST) under the Ministry of Science and Technology launched a India-Russia Joint Technology Assessment and Accelerated Commercialization Programme in partnership with Russia’s Foundation for Assistance to Small Innovative Enterprises (FASIE). On the Indian side, the programme will be implemented & funded by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) on behalf of the DST. The programme will run through two annual cycles and top five selected Indian and Russian partners will be provided partial funding support. DST will fund up to Rs 15 Crores to Indian SMEs/Start-ups and FASIE will provide similar funding to the Russian projects.
- The central government amended General Financial Rules (GFRs) 2017 to impose restrictions on public procurement from countries sharing land border with India. How many countries shares land border with India?
Government of India (GoI) has amended the Rule 144 of General Financial Rules (GFRs) 2017 entitled “Fundamental principles of public buying” by inserting sub rule (ix) which has imposed restrictions on bidders of countries sharing land borders with India in public procurement tenders. This decision has been taken to strengthen the defence and national security of India. The order in this regard has been issued by the Department of Expenditure (DoE), Ministry of Finance. It should be noted that India shares its land border with Afghanistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar (7 countries).
- Which organization along with International Energy Agency (IEA) released ‘Cooling Emissions and Policy Synthesis Report’?
1) World Bank (WB)
2) International Labour Organization (ILO)
3) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
4) United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Answer-4) United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
The Cooling Emissions and Policy Synthesis Report from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the International Energy Agency (IEA) states that, by combining energy efficiency improvements with the transition away from super-polluting refrigerants, the world can avoid cumulative greenhouse gas emissions of between 210-460 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent(GtCO2e) over the next four decades. This equals 4-8 years(roughly) of total annual global greenhouse gas emissions, based on 2018 levels. An estimated 3.6 billion cooling appliances are in use worldwide. If cooling is provided to everybody who needs it, this will require about 14 billion cooling appliances by 2050. The report was authored by a range of experts under the guidance of a 15-member steering committee co-chaired by Mario Molina- President, Centro Mario Molina, Mexico, and Durwood Zaelke- President, Institute for Governance & Sustainable Development, USA.
- The Reserve Bank of India signed USD 400 million currency swap facility for which country?
5) Sri Lanka
Answer-5) Sri Lanka
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has agreed to a USD 400 million currency swap facility for Sri Lanka, valid till November 2022. This will help Sri Lanka to meet its short-term international liquidity requirements and to boost its foreign exchange reserves following the economic crisis resulting from COVID-19.
- As per RBI financial stability report, Gross NPA of bank may rise to _____ by March 2021.
In accordance with the 21st issue of Financial Stability Report (FSR), July 2020 by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released on July 24, 2020, the gross nonperforming assets (GNPA) ratio of all scheduled commercial banks (SCBs) may increase from 8.5% in March 2020 to 12.5% by March 2021 under the baseline scenario; the ratio may escalate to 14.7% under a very severely stressed scenario.
- Which Indian company has become 2nd most valuable energy company in the world (July 2020)?
1) Reliance Industries Limited
2) HDFC Bank
3) Bharti Airtel
4) Tata Consultancy Services
5) Hindustan Unilever Limited
Answer-1) Reliance Industries Limited
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) became the world’s second most valuable energy company, overtaking American oil giant ExxonMobil after its market capitalization (m-cap) reached over Rs 14 lakh crore (14.1 trillion or USD 189.3 billion). Aramco tops the list. ExxonMobil has an m-cap of USD 184.7 billion. It is to be noted that no Indian company has ever crossed the m-cap of Rs 14 trillion.
- How many MoUs were signed by Tamil Nadu government to create employment opportunities for over 6,555 people worth Rs 5,137 crores?
The Tamil Nadu (TN) government has signed 16 Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 5,137 crore to create employment opportunities for over 6,555 people. The MoUs were signed by TN Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami. The government has signed three tranches of MoUs worth Rs 30,664 crore within 2 months, which will provide employment to over 67,212 persons.
- Who has been honored with Legend of Animation award 2020?
1) O. V. Vijayan
2) Arnab Chaudhuri
3) R. K. Laxman
4) Sudhir Dar
5) K. Shankar Pillai
Answer-2) Arnab Chaudhuri
Arnab Chaudhuri posthumously awarded with The ‘Legend of Animation’ award, 2020. This award is instituted by the Toonz Media Group (TMG) as a part of the Animation Masters Summit (AMS), 2020 – Digital Edition.
- Kala Narayanasamy has been conferred with President’s award of which country?
3) Sri Lanka
Indian-origin nurse Kala Narayanasamy (59) in Singapore has conferred with the President’s Award for Nurses for serving on the frontline during the COVID-19 pandemic, who was among the five nurses (Tay Yee Kian, Patricia Yong Yueh Li, Alice Chua Foong Sin, Chin Soh Mun). Note: A trophy, a certificate signed by President Halimah Yacob and SGD 10,000 (USD 7,228) was awarded.
- Who heads the panel formed by Ministry of Human Resource Development to form guidelines to ensure more students study in India?
1) V K Paul
2) Pankaj Mittal
3) Neeta Prasad
4) Amit Khare
5) D.P. Singh
Answer-5) D.P. Singh
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Union Minister of Human Resource Development announced that the ministry has set up a committee headed by UGC Chairman, D.P. Singh to form guidelines and suggest measures to ensure that more students study in India and there is a smooth transition for students returning from abroad due to COVID-19 situation.
- Which city ranked top among India cities on world’s most surveilled cities 2020 list released by Comparitech (Taiyuan, China topped overall ranking)?
As per the new analysis by Comparitech on the World’s Most Surveilled Cities 2020, in 150 major cities across the globe, Hyderabad has positioned in 16th rank among the list of top 20 cities with the maximum number of Closed-circuit television (CCTV) surveillance cameras. It has most CCTV surveillance in India. The List was topped by Taiyuan, China. Chennai (21st rank) and Delhi (33rd rank) made into the top 50 list. The research is based on the number of cameras per 1,000 people. Hyderabad– 29.99 cameras per 1,000 people. It’s crime index is 43.46
- Which is the most populated city in the world?
3) New York
The Comparitech research highlighted the 20 most populated cities in the world. Delhi ranked 2nd and the list was topped by Tokyo, Japan. The 3rd rank was secured by Shanghai, China. Indian Cities– Other Indian cities which made into top 20 are: Mumbai in 9th rank and Kolkata in 15th rank.
- What is India’s rank among countries that have gained in forest areas during 2010-2020, as per global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) 2020 released by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)?
In accordance with the latest Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) 2020 brought out by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations (UN), India has ranked 3rd among the top 10 countries that have gained in forest areas during 2010-2020. FRA 2020 examined the status of, and trends in, more than 60 forest-related variables in 236 countries and territories in the period 1990–2020. India reported 0.38% annual gain in forest, or 266,000 ha of forest increase every year at an average. It’s naturally regenerating forest rate was also 0.38% in 2010-20.Top ten countries for average annual net gain in forest area, 2010–2020
Rank Country 3 India 1 China 2 Australia
- Which country reported maximum employment in the forestry sector in the world?
The Forest Resources assessment examined employment in the forestry sector (including logging) with data from 136 countries that represent 91% of the world’s forests where India reported the maximum employment in the forestry sector in the world. Globally, 12.5 million people were employed in the forestry sector. Out of this, India accounted for 6.23 million, or nearly 50%.
- Qual5 India, the incubated start-up of which IIM has developed a wearable device named ‘Veli Band’?
3) IIM- Kozhikode
Answer-3) IIM- Kozhikode
Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K) based incubated startup Qual5 India Pvt. Ltd, has developed a wearable device called ‘Veli Band’ which helps in maintaining social distancing by sending out an alarm in case of proximity with another person.
- In which event, India’s 2018 Asian games team’s medal was upgraded to gold from silver?
1) 4x400m mixed relay
2) 4x400m Men’s relay
3) 4x400m Women’s relay
4) 4x100m Men’s relay
5) 4x100m Women’s relay
Answer-1) 4x400m mixed relay
Indian 4x400m mixed relay team’s silver medal in the 2018 Asian Games has been upgraded to gold. This decision has been taken after the disqualification of original winners Bahrain due to doping ban. Anu Ragavan’s fourth place in the women’s 400m hurdles has been upgraded to Bronze medal after this.
- Which Indian cricketer signed agreement with sports management firm IMG Reliance (July 2020)?
1) Shikhar Dhawan
2) KL Rahul
3) Manish Pandey
4) Mohammed Shami
5) Shivam Dube
Answer-1) Shikhar Dhawan
Sports management firm IMG Reliance, a joint venture between Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) and US-based IMG Worldwide, on 22nd July announced that Indian cricket star Shikhar Dhawan has signed an exclusive worldwide marketing and management agreement with the company.
- Benjamin Mkapa who passed away in July 2020 is the former president of which country?
Tanzania’s former president Benjamin Mkapa (81), died at a hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on 24 July 2020, where he was admitted for an undisclosed illness. He was born on November 12, 1938. His death was announced in a televised speech by the President of Tanzania, John Magufuli. He served as the President from 1995-2005 following the country’s first multiparty election, he is the third president of his country since Independence.
- Amala Shankar who passed away recently is the renowned _________.
1) Theatre Artist
5) Social Worker
Eminent Danseuse (women ballet dancer) Amala Shankar (101) passed away in Kolkata on 24 July, 2020. Amala Nandy was born on June 27, 1919 in Jessore (Now Bangladesh). She is the wife of legendary Indian dancer and choreographer Uday Shankar.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- The Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) is located in which city?
Recently, the Wildlife Institute of India (WII), has decided to study the migration of the Pied Cuckoo Bird (Jacobin Cuckoo or Chaatak), by tagging the bird with satellite transmitters. The study will be conducted along with the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) and the Government of India’s Department of Biotechnology. IIRS is a constituent unit of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). It is headquartered in Dehradun.
- What is the currency of North Korea?
5) None of the Above
The capital and currency of North Korea are Pyongyang & North Korean won respectively.
- Where is the HQ of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) located?
The HQ of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) located at Anand, Gujarat.
- Mukurthi National Park is located in which state?
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer-5) Tamil Nadu
Mukurthi National Park is located in Tamil Nadu.
- What is the currency of Sri Lanka?
The capital and currency of Sri Lanka are; Capital – Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte & Currency– Sri Lankan Rupee.