Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are providing you some confusing words which are very important for all competitive Exams !!!
- Amoral -lacking a moral sense; unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.
Synonyms -unprincipled, without standards, without morals etc.
Immoral– not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
Synonyms -unethical, bad, morally wrong, wrongful, wicked, evil, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonest etc.
2. Compose– (of elements) constitute or make up (a whole, or a specified part of it).
Synonyms – make up, constitute, form etc.
Comprise– consist of; be made up of.
Synonyms – consist of, be made up of, contain, take in, embrace, encompass etc.
3. Defy -openly resist or refuse to obey.
Synonyms – disobey, refuse to obey, go against, rebel against, flout, fly in the face of, thumb one’s nose at, disregard, ignore etc.
Deify –worship or regard as a god.
Synonyms – worship, revere, venerate, reverence etc.
4. Ordinance – an authoritative order.
Synonyms – edict, decree, law, injunction, fiat, command, order, rule, ruling, dictum, dictate, directive, mandate, enactment, statute etc.
Ordnance -a branch of government service dealing especially with military stores and materials.
Synonyms– arms, military supplies etc.
5. Dual – consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects.
Synonyms – double, twofold, binary etc.
Duel – a prearranged contest with deadly weapons between two people in order to settle a point of honors.
Synonyms – affair of honor, single combat etc.
6. Deface -spoil the surface or appearance of (something), for example by drawing or writing on it.
Synonyms – vandalize, disfigure, mar, spoil, ruin, deform, sully, tarnish, damage etc.
Efface -erase (a mark) from a surface.
Synonym– wipe out
7. Defuse – make (a situation) less tense or dangerous.
Synonyms – reduce, lessen, diminish, lighten, relieve, ease, alleviate, allay, moderate, mitigate etc.
Diffuse – spread out over a large area; not concentrated.
Synonyms -spread out, diffused, scattered, dispersed, not concentrated etc.
8. Casual -relaxed and unconcerned.
Synonyms -relaxed, friendly, natural, informal, unceremonious, unpretentious, easy-going, free and easy, uninhibited, open etc.
Causal -relating to or acting as a cause.
9. Vale -a valley (used in place names or as a poetic term).
Veil – a piece of fine material worn by women to protect or conceal the face.
10. Resource -a stock or supply of money, materials, staff, and other assets that can be drawn on by a person or organization in order to function effectively.
Synonyms – assets, funds, wealth, money, riches, capital, deep pockets etc.
Recourse – a source of help in a difficult situation.
Synonyms – option, possibility, alternative, possible course of action, resort, way out, hope, remedy, choice, expedient etc