Under the joint initiative by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship(MSDE), Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), the Union govt. has launched a new initiative Skilled Workers Arrival Database for Employment Support(SWADES). SWADES is launched in order to conduct a skill mapping exercise of the returning citizens under the Vande Bharat Mission (VBM).
Aim: To create a database of qualified citizens based on their skillsets and experience to fulfil the demand of Indian and foreign companies.
Reason: Due to the Pandemic COVID-19 crisis across the globe, it has had a significant impact on the economy with workers losing their jobs as companies are shutting down globally. Many Citizens who are returning to the country through VBM of the Govt. of India are faced with uncertainty in their employment opportunities on return.
The government is committed to provide every possible support to its stranded citizens abroad.
- The information collected will be shared with companies for suitable placement opportunities in the country.
- The citizens are required to fill an online SWADES Skills Card.
Note: Active promotion of the SWADES Skill Card initiative through Embassies/ High Commissions/Consulates across different countries is being done.
Benefits of SWADES
- The SWADES Skill Card will help the citizens with job prospects and bridge the demand-supply gap.
- This initiative will help in deployment of the returning Indian workforce with matching skill set.
Note: Information regarding the facility is being made by Air India and Air Indian Express announcement on the flights operating under VBM .
- The highest number of returning labor belong from states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Telangana.
About Vande Bharat Mission:
The government initiated to bring back stranded Indian nationals home during coronavirus-induced lockdown from other countries. Flights have been deployed for the mission to bring back its citizens since May 2020.
Minister– Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey
Minister– Hardeep Singh Puri