In a written reply to question raised in Lok Sabha, Ram Kripal Yadav – Minister of State for Rural Development mentioned that Central Govt. has approved the construction of 1 crore houses under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana-Grameen (PMAY-G) with the financial outlay of Rs 81,975 crore during the period of 2016-17 to 2018-19.
- This decision is a part of Govt. efforts to achieve ‘Housing For All by 2022’ mission set by PM Modi.
Moving towards ‘Housing For All’ by 2022:
Going by provisional figures of Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011, approximately 4 crore rural households in India are face housing deprivation.
- After considering work done in this direction under Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) and various State Govt. supported schemes since 2011, 2.95 crore houses still remain to be constructed for achieving the goal of ‘Housing For All by 2022’.
- This approval to build 1 crore houses under PMAY-G by 2019 constitutes the first phase of action plan.
- Thereafter, on receiving verification and finalisation of permanent wait lists, based on SECC 2011 from States and Union Territories, targets for the period 2019-20 to 2021-2022 will be decided.
Features integrated in structure of PMAY-G:
Sufficient financial resources required for construction of houses will be made available through budgetary support and borrowing from National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- For solving problems related to delayed payments and speeding up completion, system of electronic transfer of assistance under Direct Benefit Transfer – DBT has been put in place.
- Number of trained rural masons will be increased by providing training, assessment and certification.
- Android Mobile Application AwaasApp has been launched which helps beneficiaries to report progress and inspectors to inspect construction progress.
- Progress is reviewed on daily basis by setting up Programme Management Unit – PMU at both, state as well as sub-state level.
Besides, Mr. Yadav has mentioned that National Technical Support Agency (NTSA) will be set up for providing technical support in achieving the goal of ‘Housing For All by 2022.
About Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Housing For All Scheme:
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY – U) scheme launched in June 2015 by PM Modi has a vision to provide Housing For All by year 2022, which coincides with 75 years of Indian independence. It is geared towards fulfilling housing requirements of urban poor including slum dwellers. It is run by Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Grameen (PMAY – G) was approved by Government of India in March 2016. It is the new name given to erstwhile Indira Awaas Yojana. Similar to PMAY – U, this scheme will help in achieving the objective of ‘Housing For All by 2022’ in rural areas. It is run by Ministry of Rural Development.