On January 25, 2021, the Government of Netherlands hosted a virtual international Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS Online) 2021 with a support of Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) from Amsterdam, Netherlands. From India, the summit was addressed by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi.
- The summit saw the launch of a comprehensive Adaptation Action Agenda (AAA) which set out commitments to accelerate action on climate adaptation through partnership by promoting, guiding, monitoring and sharing experience.
- The Netherlands government called for new funding for agricultural research, expanded access to farmer advisory services, as well as expanded access to risk management and financial services.
- Notably, CAS 2021 concluded the Year of Action launched by Netherland’s Prime Minister Mark Rutte in 2019.
Themes of CAS 2021:
There were four overarching themes of CAS 2021 viz. Accelerating African Adaptation, Finance & Investment, Youth Leadership, and Locally Led Adaptation. These were further divided into the following 11 thematic areas:
- Accelerating African Adaptation
- Resilient Cities
- Nature-Based Solutions
- Disaster Risk Management
- Youth Leadership
- Locally Led Adaptation
- Agriculture & Food Security
- Finance & Investment
- Resilient Economic Recovery
PM Narendra Modi Addressed CAS 2021
From India, the summit was addressed by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi.
Key Points his Address:
–India is targeting 450 Gigawatt (GW) of renewable energy capacity by the year 2030.
–LED lights are being promoted, which saves 38 million tons of carbondioxide emissions annually.
–India is also on the way to restore 26 million hectares of degraded land by 2030.
–The Central Government is providing clean cooking fuel to 80 million rural households.
–64 million households are being connected to piped water supply.
–PM called upon the Global Commission on Adaptation to work with CDRI to enhance infrastructure resilience globally.
It is an online global conference to accelerate, innovate and scale up the world’s efforts in adapting sustainable climate change for the future.
- CAS 2021 saw participation by governments from all continents as well as business leaders, mayors, international organisations, academia, civil society and youth representatives.
–The UNFCCC’s COP26 (United Nations Climate Change Conference- Conference of the Parties 26) will be held in Glasgow, Scotland in 2021.
–The Third International Conference on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure will be held in India.
Recent Related News:
i.India’s most vulnerable channel for annual tax loss is taxes lost to other countries i.e. outward foreign direct investments (OFDI) with a 66% vulnerability score. The trading partners of India which contribute most to this factor are Mauritius (23.6%), Singapore (17.2%), and the Netherlands (11.2%).
ii.Delhi-Mumbai expressway will have India’s first five animal overpass or “animal bridges” with a combined length of over 2.5 km for safe passage of wildlife. These bridges are inspired from the Wildlife crossings in the Netherlands.