On 13th February 2019, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a stock of decisions on various proposals. The details of the cabinet approvals are as follows:
Cabinet approves allotment of land for establishment of New Viral Vaccine Manufacturing Unit in Tamil Nadu
Union Cabinet approved the proposal for allotment of 30 acres of land to Pasteur Institute of India for establishment of New Viral Vaccine Manufacturing Unit at Coonoor, Tamil Nadu.
- The land for the project will be transferred free of cost and will also be changed by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare from ‘industrial’ to ‘institutional’.
- The project includes production of Anti Sera (like snake venom and Anti Rabies Sera) and Viral Vaccine (like TCA anti-measles vaccine, JE vaccine, etc.) at its manufacturing unit in Coonoor.
- It will strengthen the vaccine security of the country and would reduce the cost. It will encourage production of life-saving vaccines for children.
Patna Metro Rail Project comprising 2 corridors has been approved by Cabinet
Union Cabinet has approved to Patna Metro Rail Project comprising of 2 corridors namely Danapur to Mithapur and Patna Railway Station to new ISBT.
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs.13365.77 crores. It will be executed in five years. It will boost the public transport in Patna.
- Danapur Cantt- Mithapur corridor will pass through the heart of the city connecting Raza Bazar, the Secretariat, the High Court and the Law University Railway station.
- Patna Railway station -ISBT corridor will connect Gandhi Maidan, PMCH, Patna University, Rajendra Nagar, Mahatma Gandhi Setu, Transport Nagar and ISBT.
Extension of tenure of the National Commission for Safai Karamchari was approved by the Cabinet
PM Modi chaired Union Cabinet approved extension of tenure of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) beyond 31st March 2019 for 3 years.The tenure of the present commission is upto March 31, 2019.
- Safai Karamcharis and persons engaged in manual scavenging in the country will be the major beneficiaries of the proposal.
- NCSK was established in 1993 as per the provisions of the NCSK Act 1993 initially for a period upto March 31, 1997.
Introduction of Registration of Marriage of NRI Bill 2019 approved by Cabinet
- Union Cabinet approved introduction of Registration of Marriage of Non Resident Indian (NRI) Bill 2019. It will offer protection against exploitation of Indian Citizens mostly women by their NRI spouses and create more accountability.
- The Bill requires amendment of the legal framework. When the bill us passed, marriages performed by NRIs would be registered in India or Indian Missions and posts abroad.
Cabinet chaired by Narendra Modi, approved revision in the list of Scheduled Tribes of Chhattisgarh
With a view to modify the list of Scheduled Tribes of Chhattisgarh, the Union Cabinet approved the proposal for official amendments in the Constitution (Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill 2016.
- Whenever the Bill becomes an Act, the members of the communities in the revised list of Scheduled Tribes of Chhattisgarh get the benefits of Scheduled Tribes.
- The newly formed Act will be called as Constitution (Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill 2019.
Centre approved partial modification of CCEA allowing CPSEs to participate in bidding for Strategic Disinvestment of Engineering Projects (India) Limited
Union Cabinet approved CCEA’s decision by allowing eligible Central Public Sector Enterprises (EPSEs) and Private Sector Entities to participate in bidding for the strategic disinvestment of Engineering Projects (India) Limited (EPIL).
- A meeting held on October 2016 by CCEA has given in principle approval for strategic disinvestment of 100% shares of Government of India in EPIL and merge it with a similarly placed CPSE.
- The proposed disinvestment will unlock resources which will be used to finance the social sector and development programmes. The modification will also promote competition in bidding process.
Union Cabinet approved continuation of sub-schemes under ‘Umbrella Programme for development of Scheduled Tribes’
Cabinet committee on Economic Affairs approved the continuation of sub-schemes under Umbrella Programme for development of Scheduled Tribes from April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2020. Pre matric scholarship, post matric scholarship, ashram schools, boys and girls hostels, vocational training, monitoring and evaluation, tribal festivals, etc are some of the approved schemes.
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs.11900 crore. The scheme includes special central assistance to state, development of vulnerable tribal groups.
- With a focus on special interventions sub-schemes will help to fill critical gaps in institutions and programmes for welfare of Scheduled Tribes.
Continuation of Credit Linked Capital Subsidy and Technology Upgradation scheme beyond 12th plan was approved by Union Cabinet
Cabinet committee approved the continuation of Credit Linked Capital Subsidy and Technology Upgradation scheme (CLCS-TUS) with an aim to improve the competitiveness of MSMEs.
- The outlay of the scheme is Rs.2900 crore. The coverage has made more inclusive and it world be demand driven.
- Special provision to promote entrepreneurship for SC/STs, women NER, Hillstates and island territories are made in the scheme.
Minimum support price for raw jute hiked by the Cabinet Committee chaired by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi
Cabinet committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given approval to increase the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for raw jute for 2019-20 season.
- For Fair Average Quality (FAQ) raw jute the MSP has been increased to Rs.3950 per quintal for 2019-20 season from Rs.3700 per quintal in 2018-19 season.
- The jute cooperation of India will continue to act as Central Nodal Agency. It will undertake price support operations at the MSP in jute growing states.