Awaas Diwas is celebrated annually on November 20 across India to commemorate the launch of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G), that aims to provide ‘Housing for All’ by 2022. Awaas Week / Saptah 2020 is celebrated from 16th November to 22nd November.
- Awaas week/ Saptah was celebrated in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Purpose of Awaas Diwas- To commemorate the launch of PMAY-G.
Activities undertaken during Awaas Diwas/ Awaas Week 2020:
The activities undertaken during Awaas Diwas/ Awaas Week2020 include,
- Spread more awareness to beneficiaries about PMAY-G
- Visits to be organised for the beneficiaries to the sites with demonstration houses.
- To facilitate loans to PMAY-G beneficiaries, organize interaction of PMAY-G beneficiaries with local bankers.
- Organise Bhoomi Pujan, Grih Pravesh, etc. and other activities appropriate during the Awaas Diwas/ Awaas week celebrations.
About Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G):
IAY Restructured as PMAY-G
- Rural housing programme, as an independent programme , started with Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY) in January 1996.
- IAY was restructured as PMAY-G w.e.f.(with effect from)1st April 2016 to address the rural housing program and in accordance with Govt’s commitment to provide “Housing for All’’ by the scheme 2022.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 20thNovember 2016 launched PMAY-G at Agra, Uttar Pradesh. It functions under the Ministry of Rural Development.
It aims to provide pucca house, with basic amenities, to all houseless householder and those households living in unfinished and deteriorated house, by 2022
The program envisages to complete 2.95 crore PMAY-G houses by 2022.
The beneficiary of the yojana is selected using housing deprivation parameters in the Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC), 2011, which is to be verified by the Gram Sabhas.
Implementation Monitored Through
Implementation of the programme will be monitored electronically and also through community participation (Social Audit), Member of Parliament (DISHA Committee), Central and State Government officials, National Level Monitors etc.
Under PMAY-G by introducing certain implementation reforms, Govt aims to
Maintain transparency, enhance the speed of constructing houses.
Ensure timely release of funds to beneficiaries through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
Technical assistance to beneficiaries, Monitoring through MIS-Awaas Soft and Awaas App.
Phase I & II
A target for construction of 1 crore pucca houses was set, in the 1st phase of the scheme(2016-17 to 2018-19).
A target of construction of the remaining 1.95 crore houses has been set, in the 2nd phase of the scheme starting(2019-20 to 2021-22)
Till date, 1.75 Crore PMAY-G houses have been sanctioned and 1.20 Crore houses have been completed against the allocated cumulative target of 2.26 Crore houses.
About Ministry of Rural Development:
Union Minister- Narendra Singh Tomar(Constituency- Morena, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State(MoS)– Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti