ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of ASEAN-India Dialogue Relations was held in New Delhi on January 25, 2018.
Highlights of ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit:
Theme of this Summit was “Shared Values, Common Destiny”.A join statement, titled ‘Delhi Declaration’ was issued outlining the participating countries’ commitment to political, economic and socio-cultural cooperation.
- The declaration focused on the three Cs – Connectivity, Commerce and Culture.
- The participating countries reaffirmed their commitment in promoting peace, stability, maritime safety and security in the region and agreed to work closely together on regional and international security issues of mutual concern.
- Delhi Declaration called for cooperation in combating all forms of terrorism through information sharing, law enforcement cooperation and capacity building under multilateral mechanisms and framework.
- In context of trade and commerce, the declaration called for further strengthening ASEAN-India economic relations, including effective implementation of the ASEAN-India Free Trade Area, and efforts to conclude the mutually beneficial Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).
- The declaration also envisages cooperation for conservation and sustainable use of marine resources in the Indian and Pacific Oceans in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
- On connectivity front, participating countries reaffirmed their commitment to enhance physical and digital connectivity in line with Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity (MPAC) 2025.
- The declaration called for strengthening India-ASEAN cooperation on cyber-security through policy coordination and capacity building measures, including implementation of the ASEAN Cybersecurity Cooperation Strategy.
- Besides, the participating countries also expressed satisfaction about the progress in the implementation of the Plan of Action of ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity (2016-2020).
Commemorative postal stamps released to mark 25 years of India-ASEAN ties
On January 25, 2018, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and leaders from 10 ASEAN member countries released commemorative postal stamps on Ramayana to mark 25 years of India-ASEAN relations.
- While addressing the India-ASEAN Commemorative Summit’s Plenary Session, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated that Ramayana, the ancient Indian epic, continues to be a valuable shared legacy in ASEAN and the Indian subcontinent.
Quick Facts about Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
- Founded in – 1967
- Secretariat – Jakarta, Indonesia
- Member Countries – Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Brunei
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification