31tst ASEAN Summit and Related Summits were held in Manila, Philippines from 10th – 14th November, 2017.Philippines President Rodrigo Roa Duterte chaired the plenary session of the 31st ASEAN Summit. It is to be noted that (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) ASEAN Chairmanship for 2017 is held by Philippines.
- ‘Partnering for Change, Engaging the World’, has been the theme of Philippines’ Chairmanship of ASEAN in 2017.
- Leaders from 20 countries, including 10 member countries of ASEAN attended these Summits.
- On November 12, 2027, on the sidelines of the 31st ASEAN summit, ASEAN ministers inked free trade and investment pacts with Hong Kong. These agreements are expected to come into effect by January 2019.
- At the Closing Ceremony of the 31st ASEAN Summit and Related Summits, Philippines President Duterte handed over the Chairmanship of ASEAN to Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong as Singapore will hold the chairmanship of ASEAN for 2018.
PM Modi attends 15th ASEAN-India Summit and 12th East Asia Summit in Manila
Prime Minister Narendra Modi represented India at the 15th India-ASEAN Summit and 12th East Asia Summit on November 14, 2017 in Manila, Philippines.
- At 15th India-ASEAN Summit, PM Modi and other ASEAN Leaders reviewed the commemorative activities undertaken in 2017 to mark the 25 years of India’s dialogue partnership with ASEAN.
- Besides, broad areas of cooperation between India and ASEAN member countries were also reviewed.
- It is to be noted that India -ASEAN trade stood at $71 billion in 2016-17, and comprises 85 percent of India’s total trade with the world.
- East Asia Summit, is a forum held annually (since 2005) by leaders of 18 countries including the ASEAN nations, India, US, and Russia.
- Leaders from Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, US, and Vietnam participated in 12th East Asia Summit.
- Discussions at 12th East Asia Summit revolved around maritime security, terrorism, non-proliferation, irregular migration, etc.
India, Philippines ink deals on defence, agriculture
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on an official visit to Philippines from 12th – 14th November 2017. During the course of this visit, he attended 15th ASEAN-India Summit and 12th East Asia Summit in Manila. He also held bilateral meeting with Philippines President, Rodrigo Duterte.
- Four agreements were signed between India and Philippines after the meeting between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte.
- These agreements covered areas of defence, agriculture, small and medium enterprises and tie-up between think-tanks.
- Duterte had expressed his desire to enhance defence cooperation with India. The latest defence agreement between India and Philippines, seeks private and public enterprises cooperation in the defence sector, including on the off-shore patrolling vessels.
- It is to be noted that this was the first bilateral visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Philippines in last 36 years after the visit of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhiin 1981. However, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had visited Philippines in 2007, but it was solely for the ASEAN summit.
- During the course of this visit to Philippines, PM Modi also visited International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos, near Manila.
Quick Facts about ASEAN:
- Formed in – 1967
- Headquarters – Jakarta, Indonesia