Senior bureaucrat S Aparna, presently Principal Secretary to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, has been appointed as an Executive Director in the World Bank in the US.
About S Aparna:
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi cleared Ms. Aparna’s name for the position and her appointment order was issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) on August 5, 2017.
- Aparna, a 1988-batch IAS officer of the Gujarat cadre, has been appointed to the post for three years.
- As the Executive Director at World Bank, Ms. Aparna will represent the constituency of India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka.
- Aparna has been appointed in place of S C Garg, who has recently taken over as Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, in the Union Finance Ministry.
- Among the top positions she held in Gujarat includes Principal Secretary, Economic Affairs, Surat Municipal Commissioner and Joint Secretary, urban development at centre.
- Known for her integrity and focused approach, she was the most influential bureaucrat in Gujarat State administration under Mr. Rupani.
Quick facts about World Bank:
World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans to its member countries for developmental projects.
- It was established in year 1944.
- World Bank comprises two institutions: International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and the International Development Association (IDA).
- Headquarters of World Bank is located in Washington D.C., US.
- Jim Yong Kim is the current President of World Bank.