India’s southern state of Andhra Pradesh has been looking for a new capital city after it was divided in two to create the new state of Telangana last year.
According to state government officials it is likely to choose Amaravathi – a famous pilgrimage center for Hindus and Buddhists.
Points to Remember:
- The actual site earmarked for the new capital is 22 miles away Amaravathi town.
- Nearly 33,000 acres of land has been procured by the state government for the new capital,
- The construction work will commence by the end of June and be completed in the next three years.
- A Singapore firm has been assigned the job of preparing a design for the new city.
- He said the foundation stone for the new capital would be “laid on an auspicious day.
- Hyderabad is the joint capital of both the states, but only for a period of 10 years
- Phase I of the new capital city would comprise 31 villages (including some hamlets) in three mandals viz., Mangalagiri, Thullur and Tadepalle mandals.